Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Bit confused

Wisdom23Wisdom23 Veteran
edited October 2012 in Buddhism Basics
How do you all understand the concept of non craving to be ? and how do you go about non craving ?

Comments

• Firstly I studied the 4NTs, and then the 12 links. Then have come to observe life from time to time, watch as craving arises and how it passes, how it causes suffering and how it is all a mental construct. To be totally free of craving is quite an accomplishment and of course I have not gotten there myself. Practice makes perfect, but going back to the 4NTs you need to understand suffering and how it comes into being and ceases to actually do this. Hope this helps in some way.
    JeffreyGentleJanet
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2012
    Wisdom23 said:

How do you all understand the concept of non craving to be ? and how do you go about non craving ?

The second noble truth states that the origination of suffering is "the craving that makes for further becoming — accompanied by passion & delight, relishing now here & now there — i.e., craving for sensual pleasure, craving for becoming, craving for non-becoming" (SN 56.11). Thanissaro Bhikkhu explains it this way in Wings to Awakening:
    Craving for sensuality, here, means the desire for sensual objects. Craving for becoming means the desire for the formation of states or realms of being that are not currently happening, while craving for non-becoming means the desire for the destruction or halting of any that are. "Passion and delight," here, is apparently a synonym for the "desire and passion" for the five aggregates that constitutes clinging/sustenance [III/H/ii].
    As for how you stop, that's the main purpose of the noble eightfold path.
    Jeffrey
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited October 2012
    When I want to drink a beer, I can do that. It just doesn’t solve the problem of craving for beer; it enforces it.
    Another option is fighting the feeling. That doesn’t work well either. The desire gets attention and grows. It becomes an obsession.

The third (the best) way to go about it is to mentally note the desire. That way I don’t reinforce the addiction and I don’t turn it into an obsession. The moment I note the feeling I don’t identify with it.
    Like all things the desire is impermanent. It goes away without me doing anything about it.

(that’s the theory, I think I deserve a beer for writing this) ;)
    Wisdom23JeffreyGentleJanet
  • Cravings like pretty much all forms of suffering can be used as tools for learning, learning to be mindful. When it arises, stop! Observe it, maybe see where it came from and why and watch it pass away, maybe it will arise again but that is ok. Learn to control the mind and not the other way around.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Wisdom23 said:

Who is this 'you' who should understand and go about...? before even arriving at craving, let alone non-craving!
  • Craving is what makes us want to stay in samsara. To not crave is to realize that birth is suffering.
    ThailandTom
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    Someone I suspect that the craving never does go away, but that what happens is that it no longer "hooks" you. Two different things incline me to suspect this:

1. Sharon Salzberg wrote about seeing the Dalai Lama being interviewed on TV. He told of a tour he had taken of a Catholic Trappist monastery in the US, where the monks made cheese and fruitcake to support themselves. After the tour, the Dalai Lama had been given a sample of the cheese. "But," he said to the interviewer on TV, "what I REALLY wanted was a piece of the fruitcake!" whereupon he broke into giggles (as he tends to do).
    At first I was stunned .. the Dalai Lama, after a lifetime of being a Buddhist, still craves fruitcake???!!! And he finds this ... amusing???"!!!

2. I remember a quote from the Bhagavad Gita .. okay, not Buddhism, but I think it is probably a universal quote: "That man who feels the inrush of desire but is moved not ... that man has obtained peace."

Now, I am certainly not enlightened. But I think it would not surprise me if the cravings themselves do not go away. And that it is only our involvement with them that changes.
    Get back to me in 573,892 lifetimes, perhaps.
  • driedleaf said:

Craving is what makes us want to stay in samsara. To not crave is to realize that birth is suffering.

This sums it up and really is all you need to know with regards to craving and the never ending birth and death of samsara. Observe in your every day life happiness as it arrises, then what happens to it as it falls away and what replaces it. Observe everything when you can in this way, how your mind reacts to things.
    GentleJanet
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Wisdom23 said:

I think the first step is understanding craving. And the most direct route to that is by being mindful, seeing how craving and aversion arise.
  • Just observe and don't expect.
    howGentleJanet
  • I crave more.
    More dharma, more practice, more karma to aid all . . .
    GentleJanet
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Craving and aversion don't arise. This is quite simple to understand, but many do not realise it.

When we sigh, there is no yearning, because, as the song goes, a sigh is just a sigh. Not even that. Nor is resistance to the way resistance to the way.

Craving and aversion don't arise.

I'm puzzled. Could you elaborate on what you mean?
  • Wherever there is life, there is craving. If you don't believe it, try holding your breath until you pass out.

Wisdom23, can you give an example of where the concept of noncraving is coming up?
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Fivebells, there's a huge difference between a natural automatic body function and allowing your mind to crave things.
    edited October 2012
    Hi PedanticPorpoise:
    I'm puzzled. Could you elaborate on what you mean?
    I actually did explain. As I said, it's very simple, but you seem not to want to understand (that's not a dig at you, it's a clue).

When you think you crave, analyse all the feelings that craving is made of.

The feelings are all there is. They are not more than the sum of their parts. They don't add up to craving, just as the skhandas don't add up to a self. When you see this, you may seem to cling to the idea. i.e. you seem to want not to forget what you have briefly understood. If you smell smoke and hear flames from a room in your house, you probably will forget.

At first it's easiest to see in minor things such as wanting a cup of tea. Don't push it. You don't have to walk on hot coals or anything. It's not about resisting craving, it's about seeing clearly (you may have to resist a little to get the space to see clearly, however, but resistance isn't the magic).

You may notice a dryness in your mouth for instance, along with thoughts about getting up and making tea, and a sense of resistance, of wanting to stay seated, which is gradually overcome by thirst.

But again, the wanting to stay seated, when analysed, is seen as mere comfortable body feeling, muscle tensions and other subtle sensations which coalesce, as the set and props in a theatre do, into an illusion.
    edited October 2012
    Mmmm, I'm going to make a cup of tea (see, you didn't become a stone ;) ).
  • @vinlyn: Strictly speaking, the mind's typical craving is a natural automatic body function, so I'm not sure what distinction you're drawing. Dukkha-dukkha is just as much dukkha as Sankhara-dukkha is
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    You can train yourself from craving chocolate.
    You can't train yourself from breathing. In fact, after you pass out, you generally resume breathing.
  • Yes, that's why parinibbana corresponds to total physical death. Dukkha (and tanha/craving) is irreducibly involved in the process of breathing.
    edited October 2012
    No, it's nothing to do with breathing or living.

'The Blessed One was once staying among the Kurus at their market-town of Kammaasadamma. [And the Venerable Aananda said:] "Wonderful, Lord, marvelous, Lord, is the profundity of this law of Dependent Origination, and how profound it appears! And yet to me it appears perfectly plain."

"Do not say that, Aananda, do not say that! This law of Dependent Origination is indeed profound and appears profound. It is through not knowing, not understanding, not penetrating this truth[1] that this generation has become entangled like a knotted string, covered with blight, like grass and reeds, and cannot pass over the downfall, the woeful way, the sorrowful state, the cycle of birth-and-death."[2]'

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn12/sn12.060x.wlsh.html
  • It has everything to do with it. The standard Buddhist soteriology regarding the end of suffering doesn't even survive for one minute when your capacity to breathe is restricted. Try it.
  • Why?
    edited October 2012
    fivebells:
    Dukkha (and tanha/craving) is irreducibly involved in the process of breathing.
    I don't breathe, so there's no problem.

When I seemed to breathe, there was dukkha and tanha.
  • That's the standard rote, @PrairieGhost, but there is still dukkha and tanha involved in the process of breathing, even if your identification with it has ceased. BTW, are you claiming that it actually has ceased in your case?
  • Identification with breathing, yes. But it doesn't cease, it never was.

• Yes, a great sutta. Are you claiming that you are actually capable of remaining disjoined from all suffering and stress, as described in that sutta?
    edited October 2012
    It doesn't work quite like that, and there are no words to say exactly how it works... or there are too many words. I'm not finished, no, not 'parinibbana without residue' (my interpretation, not yours) but I could say I've lost the capacity to turn away from stress, and I can see clearly that stress isn't stress. It's identifying with dukkha, and therefore resisting dukkha, that makes it dukkha.

The other thing, is that the discriminations I've made above are becoming less relevant to my practice. Even the notion that this is a practice.

May I ask you to explain your position on the persistence of dukkha after unbinding?
    edited October 2012
    fivebells:

I said:
    stress isn't stress. It's identifying with dukkha, and therefore resisting dukkha, that makes it dukkha.
    Or I could say something which used to frighten me, but does not now: that pain is not suffering, and that a life without pain, or a life spent avoiding pain, is a kind of death. I learned that I was empty, so now I have the courage to begin learning fullness.
  • The Buddha said pain is dukkha. The Buddha experienced pain after his awakening. Therefore dukkha is still present after unbinding. That's the logic of my position. I know what you're saying about pain not being suffering, i.e. the mental formations triggered by pain can be ended. That's fine, but the basic life processes which cause the feeling of pain are dukkha too. Most people just don't want to face this seminal observation of the Buddha's because they are too fascinated by the idea of using the practice to end their suffering.

I don't agree with the conventional Buddhist soteriology based in the end of all suffering. I think the four noble truths free us from suffering in the same way that the microbe theory frees us from infection. We remain a stew of infection despite this insight, but it's still a positive development because we know the principles of hygeine implied by the microbe theory drastically reduce the risks posed by the most pernicious microbes. Similarly, as long as we are physically alive, kamma is operating to keep us that way as long as possible. You can see this in the life of the Buddha. He still ate, he still walked, he still communicated with people in order to achieve desired outcomes, and all of these behaviors depend on conditioning. What changes with the development of the four noble truths is that kamma becomes something which can be adjusted in the service of leading a good life.

I know what quenching means, because I have stumbled into the 7th jhana by accident a couple of times. But then the whole machine starts back up again. No kamma means no life.
    edited October 2012
    Hi, Bluebell, thanks for coming back:
    I know what quenching means, because I have stumbled into the 7th jhana by accident a couple of times. But then the whole machine starts back up again. No kamma means no life.
    Ok, please don't take these questions as a challenge or as a claim or my self-aggrandisement or what have you. Maybe it is those things, maybe it isn't, but quibbling about who is more realised and who is faking it is a waste of time and it happens too much amongst Buddhists.

Firstly, do you still perceive yourself to meditate? Secondly, is your every moment, or close to every moment, blissful? If so, then you are further along the path than me, and I cannot advise you.

Third question, when you perceive suffering in other people, do you automatically know how to act in order to relieve that suffering? I'm not asking whether your very presence makes people happy, or whether you have nothing to learn, I'm asking whether you hesitate or act.

And I don't mean make yourself act, I mean act without limitation, whether that means turning away or helping.

In any case, the suttas would give you better advice than I could, but with the greatest respect, I see your interpretation of them as being too legalistic, too logical.

Also, do you ascribe to some of the views of, and follow some of the practises described at the Dharma Overground website?
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    fivebells said:

Is the 7th jhana really a "quenching"? Isn't it said that Arupajhanas are still leading to rebirth?

In the wikipedia article it says "Ariyapariyesana Sutta - "'This Dhamma (of Alara Kalama) leads not to disenchantment, to dispassion, to cessation, to stilling, to direct knowledge, to Awakening, nor to Unbinding, but only to reappearance in the dimension of nothingness.'"

Is it not the "ninth" jhana that is actually the quenching?

edited October 2012
    Bluebell:
    The Buddha said pain is dukkha.
    To respond to this, was the reason why I posted the link to the sutta. I should have pointed out what I was referring to. I'll quote it now.
    Touched by that painful feeling, he does not delight in sensual pleasure. Why is that? Because the well-instructed disciple of the noble ones discerns an escape from painful feeling aside from sensual pleasure. As he is not delighting in sensual pleasure, no passion-obsession with regard to that feeling of pleasure obsesses him. He discerns, as it actually is present, the origination, passing away, allure, drawback, and escape from that feeling.

For a learned person
    who has fathomed the Dhamma,
    clearly seeing this world & the next,
    desirable things don't charm the mind,
    undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His acceptance
    & rejection are scattered,
    gone to their end,
    do not exist.

Knowing the dustless, sorrowless state,
    he discerns rightly,
    has gone, beyond becoming,
    to the Further Shore.
  • jlljll Veteran
    craving exists in us.
    how do you stop it?
    well, that is the million dollar question, is it not?
    Wisdom23 said:

• seeker242 said:

Is the 7th jhana really a "quenching"? Isn't it said that Arupajhanas are still leading to rebirth?

It's not total, but it is a very substantial drop, no movement of mind at all. My point was that I know what cessation looks like, and total cessation doesn't leave much room for ongoing life.

My understanding is that the 8th jhana corresponds to nibbana.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited October 2012

[In response to "pain is Dukkha":]

Touched by that painful feeling, he does not delight in sensual pleasure. Why is that? Because the well-instructed disciple of the noble ones discerns an escape from painful feeling aside from sensual pleasure.
    Not sure what your point is. As I said before, the basic biological processes which register as pain are dukkha in and of themselves, whether or not you identify with them. Disjoining from the sensation is a help, but it doesn't change the fact that there is dukkha in operation.

Regarding your questions about my personal beliefs, practices and attainments, I'll answer them in full if you'll first submit to being waterboarded so we can verify your claim that you don't experience dukkha and tanha because you don't breathe. :)

I do hang out at Dharma Overground a lot because it has a large number of serious practitioners and relatively little tolerance for BS. I have found them to be helpful and supportive, despite the fact that I am quite critical of most of the controversial aspects of Ingram's framework. If you really want to know where my practice is at, you can get a pretty clear idea from my comments there.
    edited October 2012
    Hi fivebells:
    I do hang out at Dharma Overground a lot because it has a large number of serious practitioners and relatively little tolerance for BS. I have found them to be helpful and supportive, despite the fact that I am quite critical of most of the controversial aspects of Ingram's framework. If you really want to know where my practice is at, you can get a pretty clear idea from my comments there.
    I thought so. The general views expressed at Dharma Overground are not correct, in my view, and lapses in consciousness are not nibbana.
    Regarding your questions about my personal beliefs, practices and attainments, I'll answer them in full if you'll first submit to being waterboarded so we can verify your claim that you don't experience dukkha and tanha because you don't breathe.
    No pissing contest for me, thankyou; I just want to help. As I said before, craving is nothing to do with physical processes such as breathing. The body doesn't crave any more than a stone craves or a river craves. It is without self.

When I said 'I don't breathe', that's a figure of speech. I don't perceive a self who 'doesn't breathe' either.

The question is, not are you prepared to die: many are brave enough for this. The question is, are you prepared to live like a stone or a river? Because before it understands, the mind would rather die once than for all time, even if to do so is truly to live.
  • jll said:

craving exists in us.
    how do you stop it?
    well, that is the million dollar question, is it not?

Geez, did you have to mention a million dollars? Now I crave a million dollars, damn!
  • Try taking the direct approach to understanding craving. The best example of craving, desire that leads to more desire, is in your own mind right now. In Zenspeak, you examine your desires the exact same way you examine your thoughts. You deal with them the same way.

Understanding what you are is more than an intellectual exercise. It's the key to creating a clear mind.

In our explanation, a craving is a desire that you've let control your mind. Once the desire takes control, it infects the rest of the skandas and your mind becomes trapped by the desire, and that is called craving. You focus your consciousness on this feeling so that's all you can think about. Your thoughts revolve around how important and necessary your want is. Your emotions become tangled and you're angry with whatever is keeping you from the object of your desire. If it's your self control, you get mad at yourself, especially once you give in. Didn't I just describe every time you crave something?

The object is to acknowledge the desire when it arises. We all have our likes and dislikes. To be alive is to want something, to prefer one thing over another. So when something pleasant comes along, enjoy. When you can't have that pleasant experience for whatever reason, notice the desire and craving starting to arise, shrug your shoulders and recognize it's just the part of your mind that provides pleasure and pain. Let the craving go back to the nothing it came from and continue on with your day.

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    fivebells said:

seeker242 said:

It's not total, but it is a very substantial drop, no movement of mind at all. My point was that I know what cessation looks like, and total cessation doesn't leave much room for ongoing life.

Well that makes sense, it's not called the end of rebirth for no reason. :) Although the Buddha said that pain is dukkha, he also said that he had attained the end of all dukkha, while his body was still alive and didn't just drop dead. Seems like a direct contradiction as the body still felt pain. This is where Anatta comes in IMO. If it is not your body that is feeling the pain, then how could it be your pain?

PrairieGhost

You may notice a dryness in your mouth for instance, along with thoughts about getting up and making tea, and a sense of resistance, of wanting to stay seated, which is gradually overcome by thirst.
    But again, the wanting to stay seated, when analysed, is seen as mere comfortable body feeling, muscle tensions and other subtle sensations which coalesce, as the set and props in a theatre do, into an illusion.

Here you seem to be describing mindfulness of how craving arises - which is what I suggested earlier in the thread. ;)
    fivebells said:

My understanding is that the 8th jhana corresponds to nibbana.

An interesting idea, but what is it based on? I thought the Buddha went through all 8 jhanas prior to his awakening?
    fivebells said:

The Buddha said pain is dukkha. The Buddha experienced pain after his awakening. Therefore dukkha is still present after unbinding.

That's something I'm still not clear on. The Arrow Sutta seems to support this view though.
    edited October 2012
    Hi PedanticPorpoise:
    Here you seem to be describing mindfulness of how craving arises - which is what I suggested earlier in the thread.
    Ok, no problem.
  • [8th jhana = nibbana is an] interesting idea, but what is it based on? I thought the Buddha went through all 8 jhanas prior to his awakening?

Thanks for pushing back, I think I was getting mixed up with the 8th bhumi.