Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I've been obsessed

ZaylZayl Veteran
edited October 2012 in Philosophy
I've had a thought... theory? something stuck in my head the past few days. For some reason I cannot get it out of my head. I have no idea why, but I feel that I must fully understand this concept in all its ins and outs.

The Universe at one point, was compressed into a single, tiny singularity or something similar, yes? That means me, you, every single thing in this universe was at one point, a single entity, a single mass. And I've been thinking that in the larger picture, that has not changed. The universe itself may have expanded, and we have come about as a way for the universe to experience and perhaps understand itself. But you must realize that we are all encapsulated within this single universe still. The size may have changed, but that was all that really did. When I see birds fly overhead, I am reminded that I was once a part of them, as they were once a part of me. I look to the stars and feel much the same.

And it occurred to me that in reality, they are still a part of me, and I still belong to them in the same way. We may have consciousness, But that does not change the fact that we and everything else around us is the universe given form. We have individual egos but they are undeserved. We are the universe, the universe is all of us, and everything. On this level, we are connected intimately with every iota of matter that exists within this plane. We were all so compressed together at one point that we were all smaller than an atom, and now here we all are. With this, I understand, that You, me, the chair I sit on, the air I breathe, the food you eat, the sun burning in the sky... were all and still are, a single whole. I am explaining this poorly because to be truthful, I do not fully understand how to put this into words. I feel that the written language is a poor medium for this.

When I think about this I find that I am much, much kinder to everything and everyone, and it comes from a good place. Not out of fear of punishment, nor fear that I am collecting bad Karma or what have you, that never even enters my mind. I do it because being nice to others, and mindful of everything, even inanimate objects is just... well, natural. I could not be mean to someone now, as I would view it not only as being mean to myself, but mean to everyone and everything else all at once. Do you see what I am trying to say here?

I am obsessed with these thoughts. I feel like there is some mental block that is stopping me from fully comprehending it in every which way. What do you all think?

When I look into another's face, I see myself, and them, and everyone else I have ever met and ever will meet. The same with animals. I would even say that when I meditate on this and begin to gain an understanding, that my awareness expands to the point where I think I may actually feel the ebb and flow of every single little thing around me, even if I cannot see it. I look up at the stars above, and realize they they are myself, looking back down at me. And when I say "Me" I am not saying it as in the me that is Steven. But the me that is all.
mfranzdorfZero

Comments

• There are infinite universes and there could never exist "one universe" there is no such thing as limits to space.

An atom is infinite space.

The single entity thing you type of does not make any sense to me.

Form is infinite space, the great expanse.

No big or small, timeless.

I quite liked the rest of what you wrote in your post though :)

• edited October 2012
    My 6th grade science teacher once said (tongue in cheek) that he felt the whole universe was a science project of God's that he did when he was a kid and that it existed in a shoe box in God's closet.
    And one of these days, God would clean out his closet.
    It's always kind of rung true to me.
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited October 2012
    This resonates well with this teaching:
    "By & large, Kaccayana, this world is supported by (takes as its object) a polarity, that of existence & non-existence. But when one sees the origination of the world [Universe] as it actually is with right discernment, 'non-existence' with reference to the world does not occur to one. When one sees the cessation of the world[Universe] as it actually is with right discernment, 'existence' with reference to the world does not occur to one.

"By & large, Kaccayana, this world is in bondage to attachments, clingings (sustenances), & biases. But one such as this does not get involved with or cling to these attachments, clingings, fixations of awareness, biases, or obsessions; nor is he resolved on 'my self.' He has no uncertainty or doubt that just stress, when arising, is arising; stress, when passing away, is passing away. In this, his knowledge is independent of others. It's to this extent, Kaccayana, that there is right view.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn12/sn12.015.than.html
    The only thing is that in Buddhism any sense or feeling of "I am" [the Universe/God/Life etc] falls short of the total Unbinding that the Buddha found. Close but no cigar.
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited October 2012
    I totally hear you! I've been so into all the space stuff recently (my husband even got me a Stephen Hawking book and a trip to the planetarium for my birthday - yes he's the best husband ever :p ) and what you've written really resonates with me. Thinking about that stuff... It makes me a better person, too! I don't know why... I just think about it and like, I want to love everyone. Just continue being kind and you'll be ok. :)
  • These thoughts are only thoughts and you should let go of them especially as they are pretty much non important. I use to be really really into space and all that jazz, but more recently I have realized that it isn't really all that important to my daily life, what is important is cultivating compassion and a positive/virtuous way of life, living in the now and not back to when we were all packed into a single point. If you have the slightest bit of wisdom you will have taken a glimpse at these obsessions and why you are obsessing over them, subsequently noticing the suffering they will cause. Just drop it like it's hot dude.
  • Zayl said:

When I think about this I find that I am much, much kinder to everything and everyone, and it comes from a good place. Not out of fear of punishment, nor fear that I am collecting bad Karma or what have you, that never even enters my mind. I do it because being nice to others, and mindful of everything, even inanimate objects is just... well, natural. I could not be mean to someone now, as I would view it not only as being mean to myself, but mean to everyone and everything else all at once. Do you see what I am trying to say here?

Yes. It is hard to put into words but you do a good job.

If you are thinking this you are on the right track. Once you realise the connectedness of things the normal world of ego grasping and divisions seems completely insane.

• lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran
    The thought is improving you, so by all means explore. You may well go beyond. In a sense you also have to relax beyond the thought into a settling of the knowing. This is the non grasping of ideas, no matter how sublime, that comes from practice.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    Yes, my thoughts on the cosmos itself may not be entirely correct. But these feelings of inter-connectedness I feel are worth exploring and understanding.
    lobster
  • Papanca.
    fivebells
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

There are infinite universes and there could never exist "one universe" there is no such thing as limits to space.

But that is what the word means... It doesn't make sense to have an infinite amount of universes. There could be an infinite amount of big bangs going off but if there is, they are all a part of the universe. Our "known" universe would then be more like a sub-universe.
    Zayl said:

Yes, my thoughts on the cosmos itself may not be entirely correct. But these feelings of inter-connectedness I feel are worth exploring and understanding.

I agree wholeheartedly.

• lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran
    zayl, your thought is a genuine insight into reality but it has to be grounded. You are doing this through further exploration. One of the most important aspects of the recognition of self in other is in the need for both compassion and skilful means in our interactions. You mention this aspect of kindness . . . If you can deepen this awareness you will find others who in a sense recognise the same sharing of being . . . If possible look for those that are grounded in me (most of us) and those grounded in a more altruistic being . . .