Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Stress from having a job

I'm 19 and have three years clean from drugs. I've come close to relapsing twice this week, for the first time in years. The relapse I would have had would not have just been a momentary escape in a high, it would have ideally ended in overdose. I am trying to come to terms with the fact that life is deep suffering. Being an adult means walking through the flames, rather than avoiding them. I am talking about working hard. At a job or at school. I am enrolled part time in community college and working full time. I am telling myself that life will be easy if I could just go to school full time and not work at all. I am guessing that this is not true. What I want is to have only free time to pursue martial arts, buddhist studies and running. I had a period of a few weeks after I quit my last job, where that was my daily life, along with applying for work. It was an amazing time. But life was not meant to be all fun, life is suffering. Now I work again and do not have time or energy to do much else. So I know suicide as a means of escaping my problem of dealing with hard work is immature. How do you all handle it? Having a full time job, I mean.

Comments

• RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited October 2012
    I've been forcibly unemployed for the past two years. It's been a nightmare. I'd chew off my own leg if it meant I could get back to work.

It's no easier or less stressful than working, it's just a different kind of stress.

That's been my experience, anyway.

I don't know if this is helpful to you or not, I just wanted to give you a look at life from the other side, too (the grass isn't always greener) :)
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Working full-time and going to school can be tough, but millions of us have done it at some point in our careers. For me, it was full-time teaching and work on my post-Masters degree. I tried to reserve one weekend day for stuff I really enjoyed (at the time, mostly hiking), but realized that the remaining 6 days I wasn't going to have much free time for enjoyment. And it is very important to maintain good eating habits.

Frankly, it's sort of like the old highway construction signs you'd see -- temporary inconvenience, permanent improvement. You have to decide if you want to make those temporary inconveniences. I can only tell you that on the plus side, the further I went in my education, the more and better job opportunities that opened up for me, the higher salaries I was able to command, and now, the retirement benefits I receive are a third higher each month than if I had remained only with a Bachelors degree.

It's one of those issues where you have to ask yourself what sacrifices -- temporarily -- are you willing to make, for what goals -- long-term -- are you seeking. But there's no doubt, something's gotta give for everyone on that path.

I'm having a kitchen remodel job done, and I was chatting with the workers for a bit. One said that he once enjoyed manual labor, but now that he is approaching 50, everyday is a physical challenge for him and he wishes he had gone to college...and then he added that he would certainly be making more money, too.

Try to look at it as an investment in your own future.
    RebeccaSkarasti
  • RebeccaS: I'm not sure how physically well you are, but if you're able to, I recommend getting into an exercise routine and looking into hobbies. For me Jiu Jitsu and Judo have given so much purpose to life. I personally deeply enjoy not working so long as I am able to exercise in some form.

vinlyn: I have a long term goal of becoming a psychiatrist. I am currently delivering pizzas, and I've got a long way to go academically. I guess there's really no way around it, hard work is necessary to achieve my goal. How do you think I can develop proper coping skills to deal with this?
    Admittedly, that's the hard part.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Once your meditation practise extends beyond a formal sitting practise, everything begins to shift. All that you do can just become a reflection of that meditational journey. It is dependant on priorities, effort and focus (like a running practise) but whatever you do can then become the exact right place for you to be. Full time work or part time work need not be hinderances, rather just an exercise mat for your meditational practise.
  • I really like that idea. Having a rigorous meditative lifestyle will bleed into my working life which should help me cope and grow.
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Hi JamesW:
    At a job or at school. I am enrolled part time in community college and working full time. I am telling myself that life will be easy if I could just go to school full time and not work at all. I am guessing that this is not true.
    Can you work part time and do with less money? I find I need very little money to live comfortably and healthily.

Coping skills. Well, there's meditating and mindfulness. Also, try to enjoy everything. It might help you to get good at mindfulness.

I look back at my practise and think, oh, if I'd just given in and let myself enjoy life, I wouldn't have had to spend so long wondering what anatta means and so on. 'cause you'll have to give in eventually. Listen to jagged little pill really loud :) .

p.s. I know it sucks. It won't always.
  • JamesW said:

RebeccaS: I'm not sure how physically well you are, but if you're able to, I recommend getting into an exercise routine and looking into hobbies. For me Jiu Jitsu and Judo have given so much purpose to life. I personally deeply enjoy not working so long as I am able to exercise in some form.

vinlyn: I have a long term goal of becoming a psychiatrist. I am currently delivering pizzas, and I've got a long way to go academically. I guess there's really no way around it, hard work is necessary to achieve my goal. How do you think I can develop proper coping skills to deal with this?

I do keep pretty busy. I have a household to run and I have a lot of hobbies. The stress isn't really boredom (though I do get that from time to time) it's more guilt than anything. I feel bad that I'm not contributing to my household in the way that I'd like to. I also really don't like the "household" stuff. I wasn't made to be a housewife :lol: Laundry and dusting? I'd much rather work and pay somebody to do those things for me.

I also have horribly expensive taste and would like to have enough money to buy all the crap I want. And I don't mind working for that. I know the kind of lifestyle that I'd like, and it involves a lot of hard work.

I'm just much happier when I'm working. I feel more worthwhile, and I like knowing that I've earned the things I have.

I used to be a drug addict, too. I lived well below the poverty line and refused to work for about a year (I wanted to do other things, even after I cleaned up I figured I had better things to do with my time) and it was shit. It was completely shit. I was hungry, I couldn't afford to heat my apartment, I had to wash my clothes in the sink, my shoes had holes in the bottom, my apartment was moldy... The list of crap is pretty much endless.

Nope, not working is definitely not for me :lol:

We have enough money now, which is really nice. We don't go hungry, we live well above the poverty line and I can buy nice things from time to time, but none of it was on my back. It's all my husband. And now I want to give something back. :)
  • Cultivate the positive in your life.

Make that your goal. Find what that is in your life.

Make good habits.

Practice whenever you can. Study.

Eventually you will find that there is no distinction between study, practice and life.

Everything is workable, you just need to give the space for it to be workable.
    JamesW
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I've just managed to land myself a job after losing my last job in March. It's not quite what I would have liked, but it's close to home, has potential and is shift/part-time work. Not much - but it's wonderful to be working again!
    VastmindJamesW
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Sometimes, you just do what you have to do, and later when you look back you are amazed that you were able to handle it all and get through it. Those times are good times to always remember "This too shall pass." I have worked full time, attended college, and raised kids at the same time. No picnic, that's for sure, and I'd be lying if I said there weren't nights I cried myself to sleep wondering when it would end. The good news, it ended! I don't work now, but that is by choice. I stay home with our children and my husband has a decent job. Once my youngest is on his way in school, I will go back to work. But because we don't financially need me to work, I'll have time to hold out for what I want to do.

For me, I found that part of the key to surviving it all, was keeping busy. That probably sounds crazy because how can you NOT be busy going to school and working? But the down times were the times I felt sorry for myself and the more crazy busy I was, I didn't have the time to have pity parties.

Also, if you continue to keep in mind at 19, that life is going to work and hating it, then that is what you'll do. A full time job and responsibility doesn't have to be miserable suffering if you choose wisely how to spend your working time. That doesn't mean it won't be hard, won't sometimes be stressful and that you will love going to work every day. But you don't have to succumb to the "Great, I'll be working the next 40 years waiting to retire to enjoy my life." For some people, they can plow through with the future in mind. My dad is like that. He worked a job he didn't like for 30 years and retired at the age of 49. He has been retired for 12 years now and lives the life he wants, and loves every second of it, knowing his hard work paved the way for him to live well, now. My husband is also like that. But for most of us that time is passed (in our current economy and working world), and being able to start a job at 19, work for the same employer for 30 years and then retire, is pretty hard to accomplish. But it doesn't have to mean a life of drudgery, either.

Then you have people who don't care if they make much money but want to enjoy what they spend their time doing, and that is more how I am. I have spent a lot of years of my relatively young life working jobs I don't like, taking time away from enjoying my family and my children, and I refuse to do it anymore because I don't have to. I refuse to believe that the only answer to life is to spend all your good years working, and retiring only to spend those years making up for the ill health you now have after being stressed out and working too hard. Too many people I know are on that path, far past the age they should have retired. I would rather live in a tiny house with an old car and hand me downs and thrift store buys and be able to live my life on my terms, than to have a high hour, high stress, high pay job to pay for the big house, new car, and expensive vacations that I spend too much time working during to even enjoy. That kind of life sounds like the biggest form of torture to me, yet so many people live it. I don't get it.

Wow, sorry to be so wordy! I certainly wish you the best. It's not easy, and a lot of us have been in your place. But we're still here, and can tell you that it does end, it does work out, and you will be ok.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited October 2012
    JamesW said:

How do you think I can develop proper coping skills to deal with this?

If you're looking at the whole futuristic picture, it may appear like you've got a monumental task on your hands; something that looks far to big to handle. Then it becomes discouraging and look a bit hopeless!

But if you have your long term goal, then start breaking up the process into smaller pieces, and you will see it's achievable.

I'm in A.A., we break up those pieces into one-day-bite-sizes. Sure, we have to plan for our future, but once the planning is done, keep your thoughts in the day, and try to live each day as best we can.

And since this is a Buddhist forum, you live each day - as best as you can - moment by moment. It's a practise; we will get it constantly wrong and keep on jumping into the future and worrying; and then we keep on bringing it back. Just like what we do when we meditate.
  • Am I the only unemployed guy in this forum? But then I am an Indian, so in our culture there is no compulsion to work.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    You handle it by living in the moment. Use Buddhist mindfulness. Watch your thoughts, and rather than get pulled around by them, BE in the moment. Oh, this is very hard ... and we have to keep pulling ourselves back over and over.

Be very careful of the cognitive self-statements you give yourself .. they "program" your unconscious, and become self-fulfilling. I find it useful to remind myself that happiness is a decision. When I get tired of being a work-slave ... I remind myself that it is only unpleasant because I choose to see it that way. Maybe someone, poor and homeless and starving for years, would be ecstatic to do the same job that I only want to get away from. The only difference is between my attitude and theirs .. the job itself remains the same.

And get away to do WHAT? To indulge myself in my pleasures, to do what I want when I want, instead of doing what my employer wants when they want it. This is not the direction of Buddhism, this thinking that happiness comes from getting what we want and avoiding what we do not want.
    In truth, it is our very aversions and attachments that are the true cause of our dissatisfaction. Just observe inside yourself .. the desire arises to go for a run, but you are "on the clock" at work and can't ... then watch how your thoughts and emotions react. This is when you start to see that, really, our dissatisfaction comes from saying that things HAVE to be a certain way or we will not be happy.

Our drive to go after we want is a basic lack of understanding. The 1st Noble Truth of the "Four Noble Truths" is that suffering DOES exist. It's a fact of life. Buddha said so. Yet somehow, we persist in thinking that even though this is a fact of life, for some reason WE some be exempt from it. I STILL make that error!

The 2nd Noble Truth is that suffering has a cause ... that it is our desire and aversion that causes our suffering. We need to be investigators, to observe our inner workings, and see if this is so.

And the 3rd goes on to say that since there is a cause, there is a solution ... the 4th says the solution is Buddhism.
    The 4th Noble Truth doesn't tell us that the way to become free from suffering is to get what we want and avoid what we want. This is very very difficult for us to wrap our head around. I keep on getting snagged and pulled back by my preferences.

Pema Chodron challenges us to think back on our life, and ask, "Was there EVER any time when getting what we wanted made us permanently happy?" No? Obviously then, this is not the solution to becoming happy with life.
    PrairieGhostJamesW

You handle it by living in the moment. Use Buddhist mindfulness. ...

I think FoibleFull is on the right track here.

Looking back on your OP, it seems like you are saying I like these things, so I want to do them all the time; and I don't like these other things, so I don't want to do them at all.

When I was a teenager through college, I worked in a grocery store. Was it what I always wanted to do? No. But I basically liked it, liked the people I worked with (for the most part), and liked interacting with the customers.

Part of that experience overlapped with college. Did I like every course? No. But I looked at each one as a challenge and a step in the ultimate direction I wanted to go.

And so on. And I think that is what FF is speaking of when he talks about living in the moment.

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited October 2012
    I'm still going to school and it isn't heavenly either. Depending on what you plan to study, it can be hard work with lots of 'overtime' and homework in the weekends as well, so it won't make your life easy. I find it much more stressful than times when I worked full time.

When I'm finished I think about becoming a monk, perhaps that could be something for you to consider as well.
  • You handle it by living in the moment.

Pema Chodron challenges us to think back on our life, and ask, "Was there EVER any time when getting what we wanted made us permanently happy?" No? Obviously then, this is not the solution to becoming happy with life.

I think there is great wisdom in these words.

If we look at everything we need/plan to do at once, we can become burdened by a future that is all in our minds. To remain focused and concentrated on what we are doing at that moment is to drop the stress of carrying the future.
  • Everybody has a breaking point. It's just human nature, and has nothing to do with philosophy, Buddhist or otherwise. Unless one's work is to help others, I think it's not possible to live without taking significant breaks from it. If it is to help others, it seems like the mind can take more of it than the more common working for "The Man".

Be compassionate to yourself. You just said that you were happy when you were in between jobs. That's your body sending you a signal. Don't overthink it, listen to your body as ultimately it aways wins. Addictions rearing their ugly head could be its way of telling you "enough". You have to find time for relaxation, even if a little.
    PrairieGhost
  • Thank you all for your strength. I feel genuinely empowered by it. I'm at work right now actually, and it's not that bad. It's not busy yet, but even when it does go busy and something goes wrong, I can decide to be happy still.

This is not the direction of Buddhism, this thinking that happiness comes from getting what we want and avoiding what we do not want.
    In truth, it is our very aversions and attachments that are the true cause of our dissatisfaction.

FoibleFull, this makes too much sense. You're absolutely right. My idea was that being away from stress is the best thing for me. But that way means I am not growing. My goal should not be to avoid stress, but to be able to withstand stress and keep my serenity.

PrairieGhostRebeccaS
  • JamesW said:

I'm 19 and have three years clean from drugs. I've come close to relapsing twice this week, for the first time in years. The relapse I would have had would not have just been a momentary escape in a high, it would have ideally ended in overdose. I am trying to come to terms with the fact that life is deep suffering. Being an adult means walking through the flames, rather than avoiding them. I am talking about working hard. At a job or at school. I am enrolled part time in community college and working full time. I am telling myself that life will be easy if I could just go to school full time and not work at all. I am guessing that this is not true. What I want is to have only free time to pursue martial arts, buddhist studies and running. I had a period of a few weeks after I quit my last job, where that was my daily life, along with applying for work. It was an amazing time. But life was not meant to be all fun, life is suffering. Now I work again and do not have time or energy to do much else. So I know suicide as a means of escaping my problem of dealing with hard work is immature. How do you all handle it? Having a full time job, I mean.

I would recommend that all the skills that you are learning from this program will have far better effect if you was to feed and balance your nerves with good food and supplementation go to www.thepotlot.co.nz and read stress help also Calcium Magnesium complex, that way you would not over react to information that is around you and therefore more likely to see things half full and not half empty ,good luck with you futore wonderful life.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    I'd love to have the stress of a job. The stress of being unemployed is a mean beast. Because it comes from yourself, it is directed at yourself, and you can only blame yourself. Plus life isn't only suffering man, that's just... a depressing and I'm going to say very incorrect thought. When I DID have a job (Before the political clusterfuck known as Michigan did that in) I honestly felt almost no stress. Sure I felt pressure to get things done correctly and on time, but I got used to it. Suddenly doing my job was second nature. I had a feeling of satisfaction, pride in my work and at the end of the week a few hundred dollars in my pocket. Being able to fend for myself was such a liberating feeling that dealing with a crummy job and crummy bosses felt more like a minor inconvenience than anything else.

Don't be a deadbeat. It seems like all fun and games, but two years of beating myself up (I'm not good enough, I'm not skilled enough, I didn't learn well enough, it's all my fault, people are looking at me, judging me.) those kind of thoughts... years of that? it's poison.

TL;DR - The Grass is Always Greener, isn't it?
  • JamesW:
    Now I work again and do not have time or energy to do much else. So I know suicide as a means of escaping my problem of dealing with hard work is immature. How do you all handle it? Having a full time job, I mean.
    Live by this:
    So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life.

Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide. Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

When you arise in the morning give thanks for the food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies only in yourself.

Abuse no one and no thing, for abuse turns the wise ones to fools and robs the spirit of its vision.

When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.

Chief Tecumseh (Crouching Tiger) Shawnee Nation 1768-1813
  • JosephWJosephW Veteran
    edited October 2012
    It just always cracks me up when people say suicide is an immature way out so they don't want to do that... What do you care? Your intentions are on ending your life as a way to escape real world problems and you don't want to do it because it is immature... By all means though, please do not go and kill yourself! I just think it is rather odd the way you said that, and it's not just you, I have heard it many many times... You have mentioned that you are only 19 years old... You have not been in the real world for too long at 19 years old. I know for me, personally it took me awhile to get use to all the things that I have to do and worry about as an adult, but it's just life, don't try to look for a way out, continue your college studies, continue your Buddhist studies and your running activities if that helps you coop with your "problems"... Life is hard when you are not born with a silver spoon in your mouth and have to start out on your own with little to no support, if you continue with your college studies and you put forth 100% and end up graduating and develop good work ethics, I promise you, you will have a good life as far as taking care of yourself goes bro.

I was in a very similar situation and I am 21, please I know I can have an asshole tone no matter how hard I try not to and if it isn't an asshole tone, it will be mistaken as a sarcastic tone, but please do not resort to suicide, please don't even think about it as even an option... Good luck to you...