Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Tengboche

Hey I've been a Buddhist for about 3 years. I'm still in the beginning of this life. I have meditated long and hard on how to attain advanced training and furthermore a route to enlightenment. I started following the dharma when i planned to climb Sagaramatha; ie. Mt Everest. I wondered where i would stay at the beginning and the end. I came upon Tengboche; a monastery frequented by climbers. The beauty and spirituality I felt just looking at this location enthused me. Soon after I started to follow the way. When i turn eighteen i would like to finally come to Tengboche for at least a year to gain wisdom that would help me in my adult life. Nepal being spiritual in itself. The quite of the Himalayas may help me in my meditation and allow me to wake every day in awe. I know this could be considered a desire, perhaps a passion. I know that i must be able to find wonder in all things and that their would be challenges. However it just feels like destiny. As my birthday approaches in about half a year I have just enough time to learn Nepalese or Mandarin Chinese. My question is composed of a few thoughts. (1)Would they accept me with no money? (2)Would they accept me at all? (3)Would this really help me on the path?/ Any thoughts, criticism, related ideas, and help is welcome. Thank You.

Comments

• PatrPatr Veteran
    Its always difficult without money, then you have to depend on others for all sorts. Why the rush, do some work, get some money then go. Financial freedom is very important, in case you decide to change plans halfway.

Always have some money, first rule, the monasteries also depend on their followers generosity.
    Colome
  • Very insightful. I do suppose it seems like a rush and of course financial stability would benefit me. I am just so emerged in the teachings, the way of life, the grander of learning, meditation, and wisdom. I delight in it. At the moment i have nothing to really tie me down. With time I wish to attend college and settle down with a wife and children. Of course my destiny is still hidden from me. I fear that with too much time here i will not be able to part with loved ones, even if just for a while. Do you have any idea what kind of funds would need to be raised?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I would say in order to fund such a project, and participate, you're looking to invest at least £10,000 - £15,000. Plus training, acclimatisation, building up resistance and energy - to climb that mountain takes at least 2 years physical training and preparation.
    You need to have some serious experience behind you.
  • of course i would love to climb Sagaramatha but that's not my main focus anymore. Its enlightenment. Unless of course your talking about the trekking to Tengboche. All i want is to learn and be at peace in that ancient land.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    Colome said:

All i want is to learn and be at peace in that ancient land.

Where you find yourself right now is the place to learn, to forge peace and well... all land is equally ancient.

Not saying don't do it - just don't expect it to be any greater or lesser than what you are doing now by simply living... breathe in, breathe out.
    Colome
  • i know what ur saying is true i don't know why its such a strong want, a desire. I just need to be far from the noise of the city, at least until i can silence the noise, and the original writings, not in English, of course i can get that anywhere but i guess i believe that someone of high wisdom may reside there. It feels like destiny.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Remoter isolation is not the prerequisite of the wise. Don't hang great expectations on finding wisdom in solitude. A;ll you may end up finding is chilblains and snow blindness.... Sometimes we spend so much time wishing we were 'there' when in fact, we should concentrate on being 'here'.
    As the saying goes -

"If you cannot find peace serenity and contentment where you are Right Now - then where else do you expect to find it?"
  • You are only seventeen. What the heck. Follow your dreams. Even if you don't find enlightenment, travel in foreign lands will open your eyes and make you wiser. A lifetime of nose to the grindstone drudgery will still be waiting for you when you get back.
    Sile
  • Hi Colome:
    As my birthday approaches in about half a year I have just enough time to learn Nepalese or Mandarin Chinese.
    My advice to you is to spend some time learning the language first, and if you can make that commitment, then you will do the rest.

Good luck.
    lobster
  • Don't climb a mountain. You might die I've seen TV shows about people who got trapped in their climb. If you do it then I will wish you merit for safety and have a beautiful climb.
  • lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran
    You are not yet ready to climb a higher mountain. Mt Everest is just a symbol for real climbing.

You have spirit. You need to prepare. Ni Hao is about the extent of my Mandarin . . . let us know how you progress. Good luck. :)
  • thank you all for your wisdom. And my dream for life is stillness, peace, and eventually enlightenment, if I gain nothing but these things I will of course be content. There are some things like climbing Sagaramatha That i would enjoy, however, it is not important. I don't presume that I can't find peace here. I just feel that it may be easier there. I do plan to join a monastery wherever I end up, i just was thinking that perhaps there it would be easier.
  • SileSile Veteran
    Languages are best learned in the countries that use them - so don't let that part stop you!

We can never know ahead of time which choice is right, but some time ago, I came up with the personal mantra, "When in doubt, do it." So many valuable experiences in life I almost avoided, due to laziness, or trepidation, or both. You can't know of course which things are most important to "do," but if you have a really strong pull towards something, it's worth checking out--as wisely as possible, of course.
    Colome