Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The 'I' isn't permanent

2»

Comments

• Jason:

Back to Peter Harvey, it is correct that I.B. Horner did an article, "Buddhism: The Theravada" (p. 263), in the book, The Concise Encyclopedia of Living Faiths, but the translation (Anguttara-Nikaya i. 149) on page 289 is not Horner's but Woodward's. I think if I were Harvey, I would forget the reference to Horner. It would be the safest route.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    music said:

In Buddhism, the 'I' or the sense of self isn't a permanent entity as in Hinduism but something which keeps changing. This moment I am angry, so 'I' in this case is anger. Next moment I am sad, so the 'I' is sadness. And so on. So the I is one thing now, another thing later.

But wouldn't this pose a problem when it comes to practicing meditation? No permanent I ... so who's meditating?

Exactly so.
    Who IS meditating? When you look for who is meditating, that is when you really start to see the impermanence of "I".
  • FoibleFull:
    Exactly so.
    Who IS meditating? When you look for who is meditating, that is when you really start to see the impermanence of "I".
    It is not really the impermanence of "I" or the inmost first-person but, instead, the impermanence of the five aggregates consisting of material shape, feeling, perception, habitual tendencies, and consciousness which we wrongly believe is who we are.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited October 2012
    music said:

This moment I am angry, so 'I' in this case is anger. Next moment I am sad, so the 'I' is sadness. And so on. But wouldn't this pose a problem when it comes to practicing meditation? No permanent I ... so who's meditating?

Following your earlier thoughts ... 'meditation'.
    RebeccaS said:

I thought there was a permanent I in Buddhism?

Nothing is permanent.
  • Daozen said:

music said:

This moment I am angry, so 'I' in this case is anger. Next moment I am sad, so the 'I' is sadness. And so on. But wouldn't this pose a problem when it comes to practicing meditation? No permanent I ... so who's meditating?

Following your earlier thoughts ... 'meditation'.
    RebeccaS said:

I thought there was a permanent I in Buddhism?

Nothing is permanent.
    In the linear world of form.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited October 2012
    RebeccaS said:

In the linear world of form.

... and in the non-linear world of form too (which is most of it).

"Form is emptiness, emptiness is form."