Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Transcripts from meditation class

fivebellsfivebells Veteran
edited October 2012 in Meditation
Hi, all. I have been teaching a meditation class recently. The transcripts from the first two classes are at this blog. I welcome critical feedback on what I'm teaching, especially from experienced teachers.
lobster

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I see you are in Ithaca...one of my very most favorite places.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    fivebells said:

Hi, all. I have been teaching a meditation class recently. The transcripts from the first two classes are at this blog. I welcome critical feedback on what I'm teaching, especially from experienced teachers.

What tradition are you teaching in?
  • Outstanding.
    Keep up the good work.
    I used to belong to a lecture based spiritual group. The talks/teachings were often given by newer members.
    You seem to work much like a facilitator.
    In your metta based meditations you might take turns in being the Buddha and prostrating before the Buddha in each person. Perhaps with offerings.
    Then discuss the experience.

• @vinlyn: Yeah, I love it here. Actually, the only successful independent marketing I managed for this course (outside of Ithaca Freeskool and my Quaker friends) was to leave a flyer for it under a rock in one of the nearby gorges.

@lobster: Thanks for the kind words and the prostration suggestion. I'll definitely consider it.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    We should never teach until our teacher has asked us to teach. Too many pitfalls.
    Generally, it is said that those who "can", do. Those who can't, teach.
    Buddhism is the exception .. only those who "can" should teach, and the individual themselves is never in a position to accurately gauge if they are ready to teach.

Fivebells, you have a good grasp on Buddhism and give many wise answers. But your should not be teaching unless you have been given that task by your teacher.

Assuming that you have a qualified teacher, this is the appropriate person to go back to for feedback on what you are teaching.
  • Thanks, FoibleFull. I did inform Ken McLeod about the general outlines of the course, and he is enthusiastic about it. That is about as close as I get to a formal teacher relationship.

He did advise me, as you are, that I would not get any useful feedback on internet forums.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    Yes, it is the students who let the teacher know how they are doing. Not through any comments they made, because progress in Buddhism is never an intellectual exercise, but through the changes in their behavior. Especially how they respond when one of the other sangha members is being annoying! Not so much with "feel-good" behaviors though.
    When you see your students growing and changing, then you know that you are being effective.
  • Thanks for the advice.
    fivebells said:

Thanks, FoibleFull. I did inform Ken McLeod about the general outlines of the course, and he is enthusiastic about it. That is about as close as I get to a formal teacher relationship.

It's good that you have some support. I used to run a non-affiliated Buddhist group and it wasn't easy. So keep up the good work!
  • Thanks for the encouragement. I just posted two new transcripts.

Power
    Insight part II.
    edited November 2012
    For a 2 hour meeting I would usually do various meditations for the first hour, then have a cup of tea ( + biscuits! ), then spend the second hour on study and discussion - it seemed to work quite well.
    I based this approach largely on previous experience of attending different groups and classes - what they seemed to have in common was a 50-50 balance between practice and discussion. And generally practice first, discussion second, seemed to be most effective.
    I also found that it's sometimes more effective to do a guided meditation to illustrate dhamma topics than to give a lecture.
  • Thanks for the advice. Yeah, the insight class didn't go so well. It was totally unnecessary to introduce dependent origination to a class at this level, anyway, and if I do it again, I will introduce each stage with a small meditation demonstrating each component.
    fivebells said:

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, the insight class didn't go so well. It was totally unnecessary to introduce dependent origination to a class at this level, anyway, and if I do it again, I will introduce each stage with a small meditation demonstrating each component.

Yes, I think it's sometimes quite difficult to pitch things at the right level - but it's all useful experience. :)
  • I have taught meditation classes before, and I like the way you're doing it. We each have our own way, but you provide variety and give the student plenty of time to question and discuss what they're doing. That's important for beginners.

• Thanks for sharing these with us; I'm loving the transcripts.
  • Thanks, I'm loving the love. :)
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator

Generally, it is said that those who "can", do. Those who can't, teach.

Generally, it's said by cocksure old goats who've never tried teaching. :p