Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

J Krishnamurti

I've read a few things, and he seems to be buddhist although he avoids meaningless jargon, rituals and stuff. He didn't call himself buddhist but his ideas included no self, skepticism, morality etc. Also he seemed to be a good person who spoke against authority and war.

Has anyone been inspired or guided by his teaching?

Comments

• music said:

By all means, share some. I've only seen a couple of incomplete videos, that weren't impressive at all. But that may have been because they stopped before he got down to the meat of his talk, idk.

• Sure if you can understand what hes on about .He woffles on a lot and takes him forever to say anything .I guess some people like that though.
  • zither said:

Sure if you can understand what hes on about .He woffles on a lot and takes him forever to say anything .I guess some people like that though.

I noticed this. If someone could boil down the verbiage into some kernels of wisdom and teachings, it would be helpful.

• A true story.
    A member of my family wanted to go to Krishnamurti's annual summer camp that he held every year in the UK.
    He persuaded me to go too.
    I soon realised that there at least two Krishnamurtis.
    There was the nobly handsome, wise and calm person when giving talks. Although I noticed that what sounded good at the time rarely stuck in the mind.
    Then there was the arrogant, whining, petulant, verbally abusive attention seeker the rest of the time.

Ladies and gentlemen...I withdrew.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Krishnamurti hasn't said anything of worth id avoid his philosophical musings and use the time better spent in meditation. :)
  • Has anyone been inspired or guided by his teaching?
    No
  • Yes, it did inspire me. But indeed his words are hard to understand or even remember :-). I found some good quotes on wikipedia though, like this one: “A mind that is in meditation is concerned only with meditation, not with the meditator. The meditator is the observer, the senser, the thinker, the experiencer, and when there is the experiencer, the thinker, then he is concerned with reaching out, gaining, achieving, experiencing. And that thing which is timeless cannot be experienced. There is no experience at all. There is only that which is not nameable.”
    Jeffrey

• Give it a chance, it looks one sided, but I think they're on the same page.
  • I agree, PrairieGhost, that was a very impressive monologue.
  • Come to think of it, I did go to a meeting, centered around Special K and the facilitator had been inspired to stop beating his wife . . .

Indeed. A guru who says do not follow gurus. I think not. :confused:
  • His words and message are hard to remember because he only speaks in generalities and abstractions. He's a fascinating historical character. When I read his biography, I felt sorry for the Indian boy yanked from his culture and stuffed into the mold of savior by the rich British cultests.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    I like J. Krishnamurti's writings. I read some of his works when I was young, and most of it was over my head at the time, but I always remember 2 of his words:
    1. As long as you are a seeker, you will never find
    2. Always tell the truth, but never an unkind truth.

My mother met J. Krishnamurti (mum was born in 1911). She asked him why she was so unhappy. He told her "Because you are rocking the boat".
    She didn't understand what he meant.
    RebeccaS
  • K understood that people often complain even while being part of the problem. For instance, a person may complain about war, but in his own life he may be violent while dealing with his neighbor. So K often tried to expose the contradictions that tear people apart instead of giving them a direct, ready-made answer.
    FoibleFull
  • Which doesnt explain why when he was not on the platform he every spent every waking moment whining like a child. I think Foible Full's mother connect.
    If I had met him in my professional capacity I would have assumed that he was clinically depressed.
  • " I think Foible Full's mother CORRECT...not connect...doh.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    music said:

He didn't call himself buddhist but his ideas included no self, skepticism, morality etc. Also he seemed to be a good person who spoke against authority and war.

I found him interesting but his ideas seemed too vague to be of any practical use.
  • Citta said:

Which doesnt explain why when he was not on the platform he every spent every waking moment whining like a child. I think Foible Full's mother connect.
    If I had met him in my professional capacity I would have assumed that he was clinically depressed.

How do you know he whined? About what? Also foible full's mother said she was depressed, not k.
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited November 2012
    If you watch the video posted earlier in the thread, putting aside your own thoughts about whether he talks too much, what Chogyam thinks of him, who wins or loses the dharma battle etc... then there should be no doubt that he knew what he was talking about. Not only knew, but knew beyond any system or dogma, and taught instead to the capacities of beings.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited November 2012
    If you had read my post above..you would see that I attended one of his summer camps..and when he was not on the platform speaking he was arrogant. petulant, agitated , unhappy , demanding and childish, and insulting to everyone. He whined about everything and everyone. I am not exaggerating.
    Absolutely not the person you would imagine from his books and transcribed talks.
  • Citta said:

A true story.
    A member of my family wanted to go to Krishnamurti's annual summer camp that he held every year in the UK.
    He persuaded me to go too.
    I soon realised that there at least two Krishnamurtis.
    There was the nobly handsome, wise and calm person when giving talks. Although I noticed that what sounded good at the time rarely stuck in the mind.
    Then there was the arrogant, whining, petulant, verbally abusive attention seeker the rest of the time.

Ladies and gentlemen...I withdrew.

Bump.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited November 2012

If you watch the video posted earlier
    in the thread, putting aside your own thoughts about whether he talks too much, what Chogyam thinks of him, who wins or loses the dharma battle etc... then there should be no doubt that he knew what he was talking about. Not only knew, but knew beyond any system or dogma, and taught instead to the capacities of beings.

Sorry,, but even if I had not had the personal experience of Krishnamurti which I describe above I would not have drawn the same conclusions as you.
    Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche was at that time my teacher btw.
    Some time after that filmed " conversation " which is actually a diatribe, Krishnamurti's people contacted CTR's people and wanted to arrange another such dialogue.
    " Not on your life ! " said Trungpa Rinpoche..." an awful man..awful ".
    CTR was not known for holding back on his opinions.

• PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited November 2012
    No, I did read your post. At any rate, it is as well for us that idols all have clay feet.
  • I dont think it was anything to do with a personality clash btw..Krishnamurti in my experience was , unless delivering an address on a platform, always like that.
    Over excited, opinionated, hyper, deaf to others, rambling, querulous.
    You may have gathered that I did not form a positive view of the man.
  • No, I did read your post. At any rate, it is as well for us that idols all have clay feet.

The reference to reading my post was directed to Music, PrairieGhost .
    In particular his asking how I knew that K. was whining. I heard him..
  • Ah, sorry :) .
  • edited November 2012
    Citta said:

No, I did read your post. At any rate, it is as well for us that idols all have clay feet.

The reference to reading my post was directed to Music, PrairieGhost .
    In particular his asking how I knew that K. was whining. I heard him..
    You attended the meeting, yes. Did you also meet him personally? If you only attended the talks, how can you form this conclusion?
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited November 2012
    Yes....I met him personally. Plus the meetings were very informal. He was to be seen and heard grumbling and sounding off all over the campus of the university that hosted the event.
    Just to add, I have met over the years a number of Buddhist teachers...Krishnamurti was a totally different kind of person. If I was pressed to use just one adjective to describe him it would be " agitated ".
  • Shocking to hear that. Not saying you're lying, but most ppl say they experienced extreme peace and tranquility when they were around him.
  • It's irrelivant, anyway. Whatever he had, did not seem to make him happy or fix his suffering. Nor could he teach this unteachable experience to others. The Dharma is not just a statement about universal oneness, it is a lesson plan given to us by the Buddha to escape suffering. That is the yardstick, I think, you should compare this man's teachings to.
    Citta
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited November 2012
    music said:

Shocking to hear that. Not saying you're lying, but most ppl say they experienced extreme peace and tranquility when they were around him.

Really ? Well I assure that I am not the only one who experienced the opposite...including my first Buddhist teacher.

I am reminded of being on a day retreat when an attendee remarked to one of the monks that he always felt peaceful as soon as he walked through the monastery door..." really "? the monk replied.. " you must have brought that with you then, I assure you we don't feel peaceful a lot of the time ! ".

• Cinorjer said:

It's irrelivant, anyway. Whatever he had, did not seem to make him happy or fix his suffering. Nor could he teach this unteachable experience to others. The Dharma is not just a statement about universal oneness, it is a lesson plan given to us by the Buddha to escape suffering. That is the yardstick, I think, you should compare this man's teachings to.

How do you know he wasn't happy?
  • music said:

Cinorjer said:

It's irrelivant, anyway. Whatever he had, did not seem to make him happy or fix his suffering. Nor could he teach this unteachable experience to others. The Dharma is not just a statement about universal oneness, it is a lesson plan given to us by the Buddha to escape suffering. That is the yardstick, I think, you should compare this man's teachings to.

Well, of course I don't know he wasn't happy. I never met the man. I should have said "It doesn't appear to have made him happy." The accounts of his life and teachings I've read present a rather strange picture of a man who never got over his brother's death and who had big problems acquiring and keeping friends.
  • Cinorjer said:

music said:

Cinorjer said:

Well, of course I don't know he wasn't happy. I never met the man. I should have said "It doesn't appear to have made him happy." The accounts of his life and teachings I've read present a rather strange picture of a man who never got over his brother's death and who had big problems acquiring and keeping friends.
    Are you not seeing all this in a worldly context - keeping friends, being popular, appearing nice and agreeable - these things are what worldly people do for their own benefit.
  • jlljll Veteran
    yes, many including eckhart tolle.
    lobster said:

No

• music said:

Cinorjer said:

music said:

Cinorjer said:

Are you not seeing all this in a worldly context - keeping friends, being popular, appearing nice and agreeable - these things are what worldly people do for their own benefit.
    No, I'm looking at this from a human perspective. When I look at Mister Krishnamurti or any of the gurus that have come and gone, I see a man. Not an elevated, enlightened superhuman avatar. A man. His words come second. Anyone can learn to spout guru-speak about oneness and such. I look at the man and his life and the effect he has on the people around him. What did his so-called transformation do for him or his followers? When I read about his life, I keep wanting to say, "People, please leave the poor man alone. You've done enough damage."

That's not "worldly" in my mind. That's looking past our expectations to see the real human being beneath the mask. Whatever he had, he couldn't teach it to others. He couldn't even tell people how to get it for themselves. None of the great Enlightened gurus from India can cross that Dharma test. That is the big difference between the traditional transformed guru tradition of India and Buddhism.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2012
    @Cinorjer, Didn't Krishnamurti say that there was nothing to get? There were more than one Krishnamurtis, maybe I have wrong one :)
  • That is the big difference between the traditional transformed guru tradition of India and Buddhism
    Do you mean that in your opinion the Buddha was not a guru? From the few suttras I have read it seems that his disciples obeyed him completely, so that they could become free. I don't see the difference.
  • Citta said:

music said:

Shocking to hear that. Not saying you're lying, but most ppl say they experienced extreme peace and tranquility when they were around him.

Really ? Well I assure that I am not the only one who experienced the opposite...including my first Buddhist teacher.

I am reminded of being on a day retreat when an attendee remarked to one of the monks that he always felt peaceful as soon as he walked through the monastery door..." really "? the monk replied.. " you must have brought that with you then, I assure you we don't feel peaceful a lot of the time ! ".

A few people must have felt that way. Had everyone felt that way, K wouldn't have had so many followers and admirers. Anyway, you said you had a meeting with K. What did you talk about?
  • Jeffrey said:

@Cinorjer, Didn't Krishnamurti say that there was nothing to get? There were more than one Krishnamurtis, maybe I have wrong one :)

Yes, he did go around saying religion was useless. But as people pointed out, if there is nothing to get and also he said that he couldn't teach "it" to anyone in any case, then what was the entire point of him spending his life giving lectures where he kept telling people he had nothing to say? Why didn't he just walk into the lecture hall, say "Go home. You're wasting your time." and leave?

This is almost Zen, but missing one critical element. In Zen we say things like "I have nothing to teach you," but that's our way of saying you already have it. I can still point toward where you need to look. I mean by this that I am nothing special. I was not born with a special aura and I have no special knowledge or experience that is not available to everyone.

If I say, "The Buddha in the temple and the dung in the fields are equal," I mean they're equally prescious, not that they're equally worthless.

• music said:

Citta said:

music said:

A few people must have felt that way. Had everyone felt that way, K wouldn't have had so many followers and admirers. Anyway, you said you had a meeting with K. What did you talk about?
    You didn't talk to Krishnamurti..he harangued you.
    What did he say ?...cant remember but it was vapid.
  • Maybe Krishnamurti was the antithesis. He was saying you don't have it. Trungpa said in an article I read (my words) that part of the path is to give up on all your 'self-help' type things which you may have come to Buddhism before.

One point about the paraphrase of Trungpa and relevant to Krishnamurti is that you can't just munch soundbites. You need a whole path. For example my teacher talks about 'The Indestructible Heart Essence'. But if someone outside the sangha asks me if IHE exists I should say 'no' because that teaching is not a soundbite rather it is enmeshed in our entire sangha. Krishnamurti by rejecting teaching could be giving a dangerous snippet without giving the full support of the Buddhist teachings.

A lot of people come to the conclusion of 'nothing to figure out.' Meg Ryan even talked about her experience in People magazine. Meg Ryan is the actor in 'When Harry Met Sally'.
  • As I understand it, K said "there is nothing to get" because he thought that the view of a self that needs to obtain something to become happy was flawed (or stronger still: having this view was the cause of the unhappiness). If you want to get something, then you carry around a form of greed, you are projecting your "self" into the future (which means that you cannot experience that which is timeless), or something like that.

I do see a problem in his teaching which is that he seems to ask of people that they just shake off their conditioning instantly, without using any method whatsoever. This is like saying to a sick person: just get better, and then you will be no longer sick. I think methods are useful, because as long as we are conditioned, we are going to follow patterns anyway. We might as well follow a pattern that has the effect of letting go of some of the clinging and craving.