Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How to grieve in an online world

BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
I am so sorry that I have been absent for months, again. I'm a terrible community manager for this group. I have no excuse.

We recently had a momentous event in our other online community, the death of a community member while at one of our annual gatherings. I wrote about it today on Icrontic. How do we grieve in an online world?

Comments

• Very touching article, Brian. My thoughts are with you and rest of the organization and families.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. There's no easy answer to grieving for someone you know mostly online, I don't think. It just takes time to process, and sometimes you have to go through different rituals than you normally would.

For 10 years I talked with a friend online. Every day, we were like best friends, yet had never met. Then one day, she didn't log in. Several days later I found out she died in her sleep at the age of 27. She lived very far from me and I could never attend her funeral or anything, so it was very difficult. Time did help. I still miss her. One day, I hope to visit her grave and finally "meet" her. Sadly, her mom had died shortly before, and her sister died after, so her father lost his entire family in the course of 2 years. It just takes time. My thoughts are with you and your community as you struggle with the loss.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    Thanks for sharing.
    All of it.

I checked around the site, and enjoyed
    the album from the costume party/tasting.

The worst is probably over.
    Once you can say 'fuck it', then you
    are on your way.
    Finish walking/sitting through it.

May you feel my love and support.