Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Women Who Run With the Wolves

edited July 2006 in General Banter
Hi Everyone,

I'm one of the new girls on the block. Brigid told me about this site and how great everyone is.

I have a question...

Has anyone read "Women Who Run With the Wolves" by Clarissa Pinkola Estes ?

I'm reading it right now and would love to hear your thoughts on the book if you have read it.

Thanks,

inthedharma

Comments

• edited June 2006
    Welcome to our site! :) You will love it here. Everyone is very friendly and supportive.

I have not read that book...what is it about?

Kim
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2006
    Hello IntheDee....

Any friend of Brigid's is a friend of ours! Welcome to the forum!

Yep...fill us in on this book...I'm going to look it up anyway, but it would be nice to get you chatting - !! ;)

Nice to meet you!
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Hi InTheDharma!

Anyone who is a friend of Brigid's ... will have to go through a rigorous security, financial and psychological test we have for this site.

I'll need a urine sample, 1 years worth of bank statements and a small scraping from the inside of your mouth.

I look forward to welcoming you - sans any negative reports. :)

-bf
  • edited June 2006
    BF - if that test was required to be a member on ths site, then you would have never been allowed to become a member.
  • edited June 2006
    Hey there Inthe. Good to see you here.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Take no notice of the adolescents, Inthedharma. Welcome indeed.

I have the book on my shelf. Unread as yet, I fear. Is it worth the time?
  • edited June 2006
    Thank you all for the kind welcome! Brigid said everyone was really nice here and she was right.

As for the testing that Buddhafoot mentioned that is required to join this sanga. I just wanted to state that Brigid already has my results from the testing she required to talk to me on myspace where I met her so if you could just contact Brigid I'm sure she still has the results on file. :)

The book "Women Who Run With the Wolves" was on the New York Times Bestseller List for 2 years and is a million-copy bestseller. Ok, with that said........

It has taken me a bit to get into the book. The beginning is tough but as I'm reading this book it really has a lot of good stuff in it about womens issues and their psyche. The author tells lots of stories, myths and fairy tales and then breaks them down and tells you what they have to do with a woman's psyche etc... and I have read that this book has changed womens lives for ever..... Made them stronger, happier, better instincts etc...

So I was wondering if anyone had read this book because from the stand point of the book I can see how it would help women but from a Buddhist stand point I wanted some input from others.

You ask is it a good read? Well, There are parts of it that I can seriously relate to and I have learned a lot about myself. So in that way yes, but I wish she wouldn't tell so many stores and just get on with the info. that I need to know. (I'm still working on patients)
    Will women benefit from reading it. Yes, I think so......will men like it.....hmmm don't know. I guess if you wanted to try and understand more about women then maybe.

Well, if anyone has read it or wants to read it and talk about it. I'd really like to get some buddhist feedback on it....

I take refuge
    inthedharma
  • edited July 2006
    Hey Inthe:
    I read it a long time ago. I like the analogies. I have had the same in my dreams beofre having read the book.
  • edited July 2006
    Hi LatinaMermaid,
    I'm reading the last chapter now. I think all women should read this book. There are things that I think every women can learn from this book. It may not be the same things I've learned or you've learned but I really think there is something for every female in this book.

Do you remember enough of the book to give thoughts from a Buddhist perspective?
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2006
    BF,

LOL! You're a freak.

ITD,
    I haven't read that book but I'll see if my sister has it and if she does I'll borrow it. I'll probably need it very soon anyway. lol!
  • edited July 2006
    hello inthedharma..

yes reading the book now.. may not be online as often.. the book is to good!!
    just on chapter 3.. but definetly a book have by yourside as you spread your
    wings and fly through life.. and for the ones who havent spread their wings...
    aud a read the book .. tehe.
    intuition / following the heart / trusting our senses / knowing that we even have
    senses!! that is what i have absorbed so far..!!
    i will keep you dated on how it is altering my senses!

take care.
  • edited July 2006
    Oh good, I'm glad you are enjoying the book........I think it just gets better after chapter 3. Chapter 6 was like a light bulb coming on for me.
  • edited July 2006
    ok cool!

lol.. isnt it great how we get all excited on growing and learning!
    life is fun!
  • edited July 2006
    lol yes it is.
  • edited July 2006
    I remember hearing a bout this book when it was published some time ago. Now I wanna read it, it sounds good.

I also MUST pick up the latest Karen Armstrong book. Anybody else a fan?

Unfortunately my eyes may be bigger than my stomach, so to speak, as far as reading this summer. It's been very busy.
  • edited July 2006
    Collen said: "may not be online as often"

Waaaa
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Hmmm... Is it worth reading by men too? :)
  • edited July 2006
    I don't know if men would enjoy it or not. The few men that I personally know that started reading it because their wives asked them to didn't like it or understand it. They also never finished it. I think if a guy wanted to read it it might give him some insight on women and possibly men too.
  • edited July 2006
    Ajani:
    I think if someone is drawn to understanding archetypes and such, it is interesting.
  • edited July 2006
    Collen said: "may not be online as often"

Waaaa

you sappin out again girl??

i make it up to you.. promise..tehe
  • edited July 2006
    Colleen,

How far are you into the book? What do you think so far?
  • edited July 2006
    well .....

the book is goin great. let me brief you on what i think

chapt. 3 was a lightbulb for me.. and i just finished chapt.8.. that also hit home.
    iv peaked ahead and the rest looks great.

i thought i was running around like an oddball.. this perspective has given me
    permission .. wow what a heavy word. like i never thought of taking steps outside
    my box and now i can.. it is made me realize a creative deepness that im so eagar
    to explore. i remember the days i had this intuition / this vibrant personality / this
    wild woman outlook.. and how i have surpressed it. yet it show ya how it can and
    does happen so easily.. like the dog in the cage when he is zapped..that example
    hmm interesting..
    it will help me raise my daughter .. she is 19 and i allow this wild / free / creative self
    in her to fly.. i always remind her to sing, to fly, to go with what feels right.. and she
    does..
    and yet all along i see i should be doin the same..
    however i was on this path
    now i will continue with no guilt.. with an understanding
    with grace.. with confidence..

also the title of the book.. funny little thing ( few people have asked me what are you
    reading.. ) when i tell them the title they think im reading something taboo,
    somthing bad, tehe..!!
    oh well..

yes much enjoyment...love to share more next time i read a bunch more..

tell me your take if you please..
    what insight has it brought you???

ttysoon
  • edited July 2006
    I don't think I could have said it better.

I too use to be that person and I don't know if it is just the day to day life of working, raising kids etc... (I also became very ill for a few years and that sure didn't help ) but somewhere in all of it......My wild woman got lost. I didn't even remember I had one.

I have lived chapter 6 and it made me feel so much better to know that it is ok to be different and that I wasn't alone.

Chapter7 gave me a totally different way of looking at my body which was good.

Chapter 8 hit home with me also.

I loved chapter 9. Go home, every woman needs her alone time with herself and other women she can relate to......

Chapter 10-My husband was into throwing pots and has some beautiful work. He hasn't done it since we have been married. 22 years.......I have always wanted to learn how.......and instead of coming up with all the reasons .....we can't afford it, no time etc.... I'm going to do it! period......I'm really excited about it........I love pottery, I've always been drawn to it. My creative side is trying to get out.....lol

I thought the Coyote Dick story was funny and true. lol

I liked 12&13 also. I'm interested to hear what you think of chapter 14. It was very hard for me to get into that chapter and I'm not sure I got it.

I felt much stronge during and after reading the book and I'm ready to be creative and have my own time (home) And let all old hurts go and if other women are mean to you it's ok, you're not alone and there is nothing wrong with hearing what I call a different drummer.........And as you so nicely put it........... with no guilt, with an understanding,with grace and confidence.....
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2006
    O.K. That did it. I'm hooked. I'm finding this book asap and reading it asap.
  • edited July 2006
    Cool........would love to hear your spin on the book to Boo
  • edited July 2006
    I have heard that it is a very good book and from reading all the good things posted here about it, I am going to get myself a copy and read it!

Adiana:usflag: :)
  • edited July 2006
    update

i have put the book down lately.. im trying to live what i have read.
    trouble is... it messes up relations..
    oh well
    like my teacher said ..

the only thing worse than acting out (what you need to do)
    is
    knowing that you must act out ...and dont.