Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Teenage trials

2»

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Of course...if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Just had a doctor appt this afternoon and I had been doing something unauthorized by the doc, but it worked perfectly, and he said it was reasonable and if it ain't broke...

In re drugs for kids, I was talking more about (for example) a drug for ADHD or ADD (etc.) that doesn't seem to be having the normal result.
  • vinlyn said:

A word of caution here. We need to not overstate the hormone issue.

As a middle and high school teacher and principal, I've known literally thousands of teens, and the idea that they're all running wild, are rude, are going to extremes, all hate their parents, etc. is pure nonsense.

Human beings -- including teens -- have the ability to control their behavior. While it may be more of a challenge to control behavior at age 12, 13, etc., it's far from impossible. And, to be frank, most of the time that I saw the out of control behavior in a teen, I saw poor parenting, as well.

And this whole issue about teens hating their parents. Some parents deserve a rather severe critique. I have known parents who physically or sexually abuse their children. Parents who are racists or homophobes, or religious nuts, or...etc. As adults we have a lot of control over with whom we associate. A child or teen doesn't. They're stuck with their parents...good or bad, wonderful or hateful. Even today at age 63, I can make a list of my relatives and give you cogent reasons why I loved or hated (well, not hated...too strong), respected or had disdain for each one of them.

There's a website out there called ratemyteachers.com. My teachers despised that website, where students and parents could rate them and write about them. And yes, not all the reviews were realistic. But, for the most part, taken as a whole on any one particular teacher, the reviews tended to be relatively realistic. And some teachers (and this principal) took the review to heart...considered what they really said...and it made a difference. Others ignored the reviews...and continued being less than stellar teachers...just like some parents never listen to their kids and never take their feelings into account...take the "it's my way or the highway approach" to parenting, even though "the highway" isn't an option for the kids at all.

@vinlyn I'm getting really confused

vinlyn said:

A word of caution here. We need to not overstate the hormone issue.

As a middle and high school teacher and principal, I've known literally thousands of teens, and the idea that they're all running wild, are rude, are going to extremes, all hate their parents, etc. is pure nonsense.

Human beings -- including teens -- have the ability to control their behavior. While it may be more of a challenge to control behavior at age 12, 13, etc., it's far from impossible. And, to be frank, most of the time that I saw the out of control behavior in a teen, I saw poor parenting, as well.

And this whole issue about teens hating their parents. Some parents deserve a rather severe critique. I have known parents who physically or sexually abuse their children. Parents who are racists or homophobes, or religious nuts, or...etc. As adults we have a lot of control over with whom we associate. A child or teen doesn't. They're stuck with their parents...good or bad, wonderful or hateful. Even today at age 63, I can make a list of my relatives and give you cogent reasons why I loved or hated (well, not hated...too strong), respected or had disdain for each one of them.

There's a website out there called ratemyteachers.com. My teachers despised that website, where students and parents could rate them and write about them. And yes, not all the reviews were realistic. But, for the most part, taken as a whole on any one particular teacher, the reviews tended to be relatively realistic. And some teachers (and this principal) took the review to heart...considered what they really said...and it made a difference. Others ignored the reviews...and continued being less than stellar teachers...just like some parents never listen to their kids and never take their feelings into account...take the "it's my way or the highway approach" to parenting, even though "the highway" isn't an option for the kids at all.

@vinlyn I'm getting really confused
    How can I help?

• footiam said:

If I believed in God I'd probably make God the scapegoat too.

I find it easier to blame someone whom don't believe in!
    @footiam, ha ha, I like the way you think :lol:
    I like the way I think too! ( And no, I am not vain!)
  • footiam said:

footiam said:

@footiam Really? I wish I could say that ;-)
  • footiam said:

footiam said:

@footiam Really? I wish I could say that ;-)
    Mm...mmm..really (Ha, ha). One has to like oneself and to do that, fill the mind with good thoughts. It makes the world go round.
    lillymac61
  • I hate kids. So did the Buddha. That's why he avoided them as far as possible.
    music said:

I hate kids. So did the Buddha. That's why he avoided them as far as possible.

Do you have some evidence for this? If not, then I would suggest -- since this is a Buddhist website -- that you consider the concept of "right thought" before writing.
  • Read your bible. It is all in there.
    What has the Bible got to do with Buddha?
  • vinlyn said:

What has the Bible got to do with Buddha?

2 kings 2:24
    I know of no reference to Buddha in the Bible.