Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Wicca work Seat....

federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky...Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
edited July 2006 in Faith & Religion

Comments

• buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited July 2006
    I think there are going to be some Mid-Westerners with their panties in a bunch.

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Pastor Steve Nelson of Hoopeston's First Baptist Church says, "I just disagree with their anti-God approach and feel it's not good for our community," he said. "When given the opportunity, I would speak against it."

I wonder if the pastor would have the religious conviction to speak against Buddhism to HHDL?
  • edited July 2006
    it's sorta like Aleister Crowley's Abbey of Thelema. only in close minded America.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Craig wrote:
    it's sorta like Aleister Crowley's Abbey of Thelema. only in close minded America.

The one whose own mother termed a graet beast (it looks different, doesn't it, without caps? He wasn't 'evil', just 'beastly') stole Rabelais's bbey!
  • edited July 2006
    yeah i read a bio of him and he stoled it!
    he didn't seem to be the most original rock in the gravel.
  • edited July 2006
    The one whose own mother termed a graet beast (it looks different, doesn't it, without caps? He wasn't 'evil', just 'beastly') stole Rabelais's bbey!

You have me curious, what do you mean by this? Sorry, I'm not particually up on my history/lies (depending on the perspective, heh).
    edited July 2006
    Hodgetts wrote:
    You have me curious, what do you mean by this? Sorry, I'm not particually up on my history/lies (depending on the perspective, heh).

I see that my dyslexic keyboard let me down again!

Rabelais (1494-1553) wrote a book called Gargantua in which he has a strange 'abbey' called Thélème. This is part of a translation of the long description of the abbey:
    All their life was spent not in laws, statutes, or rules, but according to their own free will and pleasure. They rose out of their beds when they thought good; they did eat, drink, labour, sleep, when they had a mind to it and were disposed for it. None did awake them, none did offer to constrain them to eat, drink, nor to do any other thing; for so had Gargantua established it. In all their rule and strictest tie of their order there was but this one clause to be observed,
    DO WHAT THOU WILT
    because men that are free, well-born, well-bred, and conversant in honest companies, have naturally an instinct and spur that prompteth them unto virtuous actions, and withdraws them from vice, which is called honour. Those same men, when by base subjection and constraint they are brought under and kept down, turn aside from that noble disposition by which they formerly were inclined to virtue, to shake off and break that bond of servitude wherein they are so tyrannously enslaved; for it is agreeable with the nature of man to long after things forbidden and to desire what is denied us.

Edward Alexander ("Aleister") Crowley (1875-1947) was a writer and self-publicist who presented himself as a 'black' magician. He is called, by the many who have written about him, the "Great Beast", which is what his own mother called him (although, as I said, I think she would not have used capital letters).
  • edited July 2006
    I just found this thread........I live in the mid-west...On the Mississippi River, Missouri side. Buddhafoot is sooo right. This is the bible belt. Hope they don't get tarred and feathered......and ran out on a rail as they say..........Stores that sell supplies get run out of town. I can't imagine what they will try and do to a school.
  • edited July 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    Pastor Steve Nelson of Hoopeston's First Baptist Church says, "I just disagree with their anti-God approach and feel it's not good for our community," he said. "When given the opportunity, I would speak against it."

I wonder if the pastor would have the religious conviction to speak against Buddhism to HHDL?

Brigid,

I wondered that very same thing! When I saw this thread---well, I just had to reply since I am a member of WitchSchool. WitchSchool is run by the Correllian Nativist Church of Wicca. I am a Correllian Tradition Wiccan as some people here will recall me posting that fact. I have been a Correllian Tradition Wiccan for about a year and one-half now. It will be two years in January of 2007. I am also a Nichiren Buddhist and have been one since May of 2005. I have been questioned---not by my fellow Correllians or by my fellow Nichiren Buddhists---about how I can practice both spiritual paths. My reply to them still remains the same as I have always shared when posting here: Both paths call to me and that's why I practice them both. It just works for me and also neither path says I cannot pursue or practice another path if I wish to do so in addition to either one of them. I believe in religious acceptance for ALL! I respect a person's wish to pursue whatever spiritual path that is right for them. Just because I choose to not practice Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Jainism, Zen Buddhism, or any other religion or spiritual path does not mean that I have the right to disrespect these different religions or the people who practice them. I also consider Ed Hubbard and Don Lewis to be friends of mine since we are all Correllian Tradition Wiccans. Cathy Novak, owner of Beads and Botanicals in Hoopeston, Illinois, is also a close personal friend of mine. As a matter of fact, I have been visited by all three since I have been ill. They all were here visiting and helping me get over being ill as have my Nichiren Buddhist friends. I suffered a heart attack not too long after my birthday last April. That's why I haven't been posting and saying hi here as well as not having a computer. I am feeling a lot better, though, and I am just taking life one day at a time. Well, sorry this post is so long! If anyone wants to know anything about Correllian Wicca, don't hesitate to ask me. I will be glad to explain about this tradition of Wicca if someone has a question about it. By the way, it's good to see you are still here!

Adiana:winkc: :winkc::type: :usflag:
    edited July 2006
    Adiana, dear heart,

All good thoughts and added happiness in seeing you here again. I trust that your recovery goes on apace.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Adiana!!

So good to see you again! A heart attack! Oh, my gosh! I'm so glad you made it through and are healing now. And I'm so glad you took the time to pop in to say hello and tell us how you're doing and about your friendships. What wonderful support for you! Bless them all. Oh, I'm just thrilled to see you here again and to hear that you're feeling better! I'm wishing you continued and full healing, peace and joy today and everyday. If you feel like it, please let us know how you're doing and what you're thinking about these days. Take it very easy and be gentle with yourself.

Big, warm, gentle hugs to you.

Brigid
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2006
    Yay!! What Brigid said - goes for me too! Nice to have you back with us, Addie....!!
  • edited July 2006
    Thanks, everyone! I appreciate it. I am doing better. It is so good to see familiar faces and names here! I will be visiting more often.

Hey, Fed! I have a question for you! I noticed that in your avatar area it says you are back in the U.K. I thought you were in France! If you moved back, when did you do so? How's Nick? My kids are all doing well except Jennifer is ticked off at having to attend summer school here in a week. Jennifer will start third grade and here in Indiana, schoolchildren that are to enter the third grade have to take an evaluation test as to what they have learned to date. It is called the ISTEP test. As a result, all new third graders have to take this summer school so they can be prepared for the ISTEP test which is administered in September. Also, periodically throughout a child's school career, they will be given the ISTEP test at the appropriate age levels. This helps the state to know what schools are performing up to par and also meets some of the prequisites of the No Child Left Behind Act that President Bush and Congress enacted.

Anyway, it is really good to see you all again! I am just taking things one day at a time. It was so freaky about my heart attack because I was just sitting on the couch after taking a walk and all of a sudden, I felt that I had a 1,000 pound weight on my chest! Also, I experienced this radiating pain unlike anything I had ever felt before running down my left arm. I was freaked out because I have never had any heart problems before other than having high blood pressure. I have always had high blood pressure. I just thank my lucky stars that all of my kids were here and they called 9-1-1. Well, that's enough about that! I am doing better and that's the important thing. Well, enough for now, take care to all!

Adiana:usflag:
    edited July 2006
    Adiana, dear friend and Earth sister,

May I, from the depths of many years of living with an unpredictable heart, offer a couple of words? After the licensed butchers (or 'surgeons' as they like to call themselves) had carrved me up and I had recovered - with wonderful scars on chest and both legs - I noticed that I was always on alert for symptoms. Every little twinge, even of indigestion, I could escalate into near-panic. My old friend and doctor worked with me on this "cardiac neurosis" and we have moved beyond it!

As you say, the physical experience of a heart attack is unlike any other. Omar Sharif does a really good imitation of one in Doctor Zhivago!

It is good to have you back here - not enough here with a proper love of the mysteries of Earth, Sea and Sky (except Palzang-la, of course, who is clearly an old shaman in maroon robes).
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2006
    Addie,
    so as not to clog this thread unnecessarily, much of what has happened in my life recently, has unfolded in the "How was your day?" Thread....alternatively, have a look at my user profile, and click onto my Blog-site - Iamsoooooohappy blogspot -The aimless ramblings of an Amazonian Treefrog.

I know, I know....

Please......

Don't ask.... :lol::crazy:
    edited July 2006
    federica wrote:
    Addie,
    so as not to clog this thread unnecessarily, much of what has happened in my life recently, has unfolded in the "How was your day?" Thread....alternatively, have a look at my user profile, and click onto my Blog-site - Iamsoooooohappy blogspot -The aimless ramblings of an Amazonian Treefrog.

I know, I know....

Please......

Don't ask.... :lol::crazy:

And there I was, thinking it was a

edited July 2006
    "Call me by my True name" doesn't cover it....!!

By the way, I don't appear in either the much-over-rated book, nor the over-hyped movie.... in any guise, Whelk or not.... !! ;)
  • edited July 2006
    Federica,

I will check it out. You are right. We don't need to change the thread discussion. I really hope things are going well for you. It's good to see you and everyone else again.

Adiana:wavey: :usflag: