Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Attention Seeking and Buddhism.

" When we contemplate the Second Noble Truth one of the more subtle aspects that we might become aware of in ourselves is the need for attention..We see it in ourselves and in others. The need to be stroked..the need to be acknowledged..We will even take negative attention if positive is not on offer. Anything but accept a lack of attention. We start arguments and make provocative statements rather than have no attention..Having got the attention we crave we realise that it creates more suffering..we come up against the Second Noble Truth yet again ".

Ajahn Amaro.
RebeccaStmottes

Comments

• pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited November 2012
    Having a story about ourselves even if it is filled with pain is better than having no stories at all. Having no story can feel as if one is dead.

Better be alive and in pain than be dead.
    Yaskan
  • Buddhism turns me off when it makes sweeping generalizations about the whole of humanity like this. Who starts arguments just to get attention? I don't know anyone like that.

Oh well.
  • Dakini said:

Buddhism turns me off when it makes sweeping generalizations about the whole of humanity like this. Who starts arguments just to get attention? I don't know anyone like that.

Oh well.

Was Ajahn Amaro making a "sweeping generalisation about all of humanity " ?
    Or was he talking about about a widespread tendency to crave attention which many of us have in a more or less subtle way ?
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited November 2012
    We need to feel a social bonding, and when that becomes a desire for attention, we have a problem. That's true.

Anyone who has raised children or tried to teach them is aware of attention-getting behavior, and can learn to recognize it in adults and even ourselves. Even negative attention is better than no attention at all. However, "attention-getting" has a negative bias in the term, something bad, because we think of people who act stupid or throw a tantrum just for the attention. People can become addicted to how good it feels to have people focusing on them. But, it feels good to eat also, and that's not bad unless we let that desire to eat rule us.

Actually, psychologists now understand that we all need a social connection. We are social animals. Not having social interactions at all will cause any of us to suffer, and in extreme cases damage us deeply. That's why solitary confinement is torture. Ah, you say, but what about the hermit or person who seems happy to be left alone? Well, we also have a need for privacy, some time and space we can call our own. The difference between solitude and loneliness is, one is a choice and the other is not. Conflicting desires are, according to the Buddha, the reason our desires can never be completely satisfied.

When I worked on a suicide hotline for a few years, it was taught to us that the main cause of people being so depressed and miserable that they'd call was loneliness. Rarely did anyone call who had family and friends that cared for them. There was no greater misery than being alone and the holidays were worst.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Citta said:

" When we contemplate the Second Noble Truth one of the more subtle aspects that we might become aware of in ourselves is the need for attention..We see it in ourselves and in others. The need to be stroked..the need to be acknowledged..We will even take negative attention if positive is not on offer. Anything but accept a lack of attention. We start arguments and make provocative statements rather than have no attention..Having got the attention we crave we realise that it creates more suffering..we come up against the Second Noble Truth yet again ".

Ajahn Amaro.

I think the tricky bit is distinguishing between healthy and neurotic attention.

Citta
  • RodrigoRodrigo São Paulo, Brazil Veteran
    I think the desire for attention comes from the need to cultivate our identity, our self. And this is obtained by the acknowledgement from others, by winning an argument, by being "right". Perhaps, if we are not to attached to this idea of self, we may need less attention.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited November 2012
    Communication is our safety valve against going insane. Maybe it’s a necessity of life.
    I think @Cinorjer pointed that out.

That’s why tone and intention are important. We can remove some violence from our communication and put in some mutual respect; really listening and expressing our opinions and feelings without turning them into a personal attack.

lobster
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited November 2012
    I think the need for attention is a symptom of our dualistic disease. Because we can feel seperate, we can feel lonely. Because we can feel seperate, we can alienate our kin.

It seems it's really more of a need to belong and attention is sometimes used as a gauge. Because we can feel seperate, we lose touch with our inherited belonging and seek out groups that share a sameness in mindset that we do. This is ok except that it negates the fact that in reality, there is only one group and every single unique view makes up the big picture. In trying to belong to the little groups, we alienate the whole group by reinforcing the disease of us and "them".

Everybody is good at something and has their own unique way of looking at things. Every single one of us has something the rest of us can benefit from.

So please cultivate your attention and give it freely.

Be there for us.

• Citta said:

Ajahn Amaro.

I think the tricky bit is distinguishing between healthy and neurotic attention.

Agreed. And I start with me...

lobstertmottes
  • Isn't that the trick of anatta? Craving for self identity with what little understanding of "self" that we have.
  • Citta said:

Was Ajahn Amaro making a "sweeping generalisation about all of humanity " ?
    Or was he talking about about a widespread tendency to crave attention which many of us have in a more or less subtle way ?

Yes, it sounded like he was. He didn't qualify it, the way you did here. I just can't relate to his statement. "We will even take negative attention if positive is not an offer. We start arguments and make provocative statements..." That's a sweeping generality.

Oh well.

• It is a generalisation but I'm not sure it isn't justified.

At any rate, I think it would explain the success of Facebook and Twitter. It might even explain some of the discussions here. I most certainly like a little attention from time to time. It's pathetic but there it is.
    RebeccaS