Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Om amideva hrih

heybaiheybai Explorer
edited November 2012 in Arts & Writings
I lile these --

lobster

Comments

• What does Om amideva hri mean?
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited November 2012
    It is the mantra of Amitabha (the principal Buddha in Pure Land).
    It means:”always look on the bright side of life” and that’s not really sarcastic.
    His most important enlightenment technique is the visualization of the surrounding world as a paradise. Who sees his world as a paradise, awakens his enlightenment energy. The world can be seen as a paradise by a corresponding positive thought (enlightenment thought) or by sending light to all beings (wish all beings to be happy).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amitābha
    I like the idea of an enlightenment thought. Think an enlightened thought and turn the world into paradise; just like that!
    lobsterheybai
  • Jeffrey, have a look here --
    http://greatmiddleway.wordpress.com/2012/11/14/affirmation-of-truth/
    It means:”always look on the bright side of life” and that’s not really sarcastic.
    I like it, zenff!
    Jeffrey
  • Oh god... enough whit that please.. so many denials in buddhists circles...

Om is the primordial vibration, the affirmation of reality

Amita IN SANSKRIT stand for ; without a certain mesure, unmeasured, immeasurable, infinite... etc

Amitavikrama even stand for a name OF VISHNU hence the swatzika in the chest of the buddha's icons..

Ami alone, could also be the word involve here, and it mean; I AM ( Sanskrit is conceived so that creative associations should involve a maximum of subjectivity)

Deva mean God..

Hri or «Hari» is the same as in Hari Ksrisna and stand for « a mind oriented toward devotion» (bhakti)

This mantra is higly imbued with devotional connotations and reveal a monistic view of the ultimate reality; Om praise to the infinite god or Om praise to the infinite self

• If you dont beleive me, here a sanskrit dictionary that you can use.

http://spokensanskrit.de/index.php?tinput=hri&direction=ES&script=HK&link=yes&beginning=

• @cittamukti said:
    If you don't believe me, here a sanskrit dictionary that you can use.

I believe you. Why wouldn't I? What you perhaps wish to convey is this is no part of dharma?
    No part of your dharma? OK then move along or do you have time to vent some righteous indignation?

We are here for you . . .

Bad, bad, ignorant Buddhists making up teachings says Mr Cushion . . .

Chazthegoldeneternity
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited April 2014

If you want to get to Clapham dont get on a 'bus marked Regents Park, unless you want a very prolonged circular ride.

Mantrams actually work. They do what they say they do if done properly.

Vedic mantrams will bring about mindstates that the Buddha specifically and frequently advised against.

Not because they are wicked, but because they have different aims to that of his Dharma.

• @Citta could you please elaborate?

• CittaCitta Veteran

Some mantrams are to bring about a relationship with benign, even compassionate, entities that are themselves bound to the Wheel.

Their lifespans are immeasurably long by human standards, they have powers way beyond human reasoning.

But they are bound to the Wheel.

The Buddha at various points in the Suttas advises a respectful metta filled attitude towards them.

But not to cultivate a relationship of identity with them..which is what their mantrams bring about.

Within each bone fide mantram of whatever tradition, is the bija translated as 'seed..'.

The bija is non-different to that which it represents.

• Yawn.

All some people want is a bit of peace and quiet. Now back to the 'Buddhahood or bust' diva purists . . .

What is that Mr Cushion? Nothing?

. . . My mistake . . . oh look a . . . no it's gone . . .

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited April 2014

Buddhadharma in an age where all cultures stand face to face covers everything from trinkets and home decor to supreme Awakening..

Whereever any individual stands on that spectrum, they should should be supported.

Inverted spiritual snobbery is still snobbery.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2014

(@Citta it would be a help - certainly to me - if we knew to whom your comments were being addressed, specifically. Thanks.)

• CittaCitta Veteran

Well lets start with me @federica.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Ok......:rolleyes:...apart from you.

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited April 2014

To those who might think that either people still finding their way, or 'dharma purist's are unworthy.

A ) We are all in this together.

B) We all have our areas of practice where we are neophytes and other areas where we are 'purists'.

I know I do.

• ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    edited April 2014

@lobster said:
    Bad, bad, ignorant Buddhists making up teachings says Mr Cushion . . .

@cittamukti - don't take our lycanthropic crustacean ( a snooty way to say "were-lobster") friend too seriously. In his current "phase" he's much like Mankind (wrestler) and his alter ego, Mr. Socko, but not as entertaining.

Well, .... Lob is ..... entertaining .... sort of.

Thanks for resurrecting a thread that's been dead/idle for 18 months. Thread mining at it's finest!

Nirvana
  • Wow lobster... I don't salute you!! Did I insulte someone? Did I show a sign of arrogance or disrespect toward anybody? I don't think so.. I commented for the sole purpose of giving the true meaning of the mantra! Plus, I gaved a link that lead to a tool that could had help you verify my claims!! Now, if this is all you can do when you have the burden of proof... I am always open to discuss and to argue into the rules of the art but if someone refuse to do so, I do naturally expect some «savoir vivre» packed within the discard of this process.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Huh. I think I need to go to bed. I'm not sure what happened in this thread!
    @cittamukti usually threads from so long ago aren't revived because so often the people who participated are no longer active members of the site and it just leads to confusion. It's great to jump in to participate but also good to know your audience as well.
    Just my convoluted thoughts this evening. Past my bedtime.

federica
  • @cittamukti said:
    I commented for the sole purpose of giving the true meaning of the mantra!

That is very kind of you. Many thanks. :)

Yeah, @cittamukti, it's best when a thread is older than 6 months, to begin your own thread on the subject. Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.