Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Attachment/Abandonment

My significant other wants to abandon his attachments,including the people he loves to live a monastic life.I am struggling with the idea of abandoning the people we love in order to reach enlightenment. Is this extreme? I admire his choice and yet I feel a profound amount of grief like the death of a loved one.Because I love him I want to give him my blessing to go on his spiritual journey and I want him to know that I love him regardless- do you think this is foolish/delusional of me to believe that perhaps he will come to his senses and appreciate the people that are in his life?I need guidance... what do you think of this?

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    First, how would you fit in to his living a monastic life?

Second, are there ways he could do things step by step, rather than making decisions from which there is no easy return?

How old is he and you?
  • Does he know what he's getting into? Has he been on any retreats?
    vinlyn
  • @vinlyn I would not fit into his " monastic life" he applied to live at a monastary where he would dedicate all his time to his practice for months at a time with no communication. He is 25, I am 24. We are very close and honest in our relationship I was aware of his practice and I am new to buddhism, he says that he loves me and it is not an easy decision. It just seems so extreme in my opinion and I am left in limbo.
  • still_learningstill_learning Veteran
    edited November 2012
    If his family really needs him or he needs to care for someone, then he shouldn't. Buddha didn't abandon his family to become enlightened, he was able to leave because they were okay with it.

But @fivebells is right, I hope he knows what he's getting into.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    That would be really scary to hear from your SO! I would be crushed if my husband told me such a thing, even though I know it is common. I would want to know answers to some of the questions that others have asked, especially how much experience he has to know what he is getting into, and if he realizes that it's not really as simple as just up and leaving to be monk. They usually require you to stay for a time to ensure monastic life is for you, you have to get ordained so it's not something you just do on your own or anything. And a lot of the time (from what I understand) they require you to be free from obligations to your lay life, such as debt and such. If he has student loans etc he might not be able to do it at this point, because he will need to meet his obligations fully before deciding to give up his worldly life. Not all traditions may require that, but even if they don't it would seem pretty shady to me to run to monastic life while leaving loose ends. Not saying he is doing that, those are just the kinds of things I personally would want to know.

I don't think it is required of all people to take such an extreme step, and I do think that a LOT of people who desire such a thing desire it for the wrong reasons, such as in a sense running away from problems of various sorts.
  • @fivebells Yes, he has been to retreats, actually after coming back home from his first sesshin he decided a couple days later that he wanted to do this.It has only been a few weeks since then. I just really don't know how to deal. I know I am causing myself more suffering because I am attached to him, but how do you deal with the loss of someone you love? Does it sound like denial on my part?
    I understand that at least in some sects of Zen you do not have to give up having a spouse or family life. I do not practice Zen so I don't know more, but I'm sure someone can elaborate. Perhaps there is a way for him to have both unless that is not what he wants.

I don't think there is any avoiding suffering of some sort when someone we love is gone, no matter what the reason is that they left. I don't think anyone would tell you not to be sad about it, because anyone would be. I wish I had advice for you on how to process it.

Monastic life is interesting to me, and tempting in many ways. However, before I came to Buddhism, I got married and had 3 children, and I am not going to abandon them because I found something else. It is not their fault I didn't find Buddhism before I made those decisions, so I instead make the best of both worlds and have found it much easier to not cling to one or the other.

I personally think he should give it more time. Sometimes lightning strikes, so to speak, and we just know. But I think a few weeks isn't enough time to make such a decision and most monastic orders that I've read about seem to agree. Many of them require a stay within monastery of a certain amount of time to be considered for monkhood because of the risk of people getting so excited about it when they first find Buddhism and then like anything else in life they find it's not what they thought it would be. Monkhood isn't really something you take on to explore. You have to do the exploring before you take it on.

If he does decide to go forth with it, I doubt it will matter whether you give him your blessing or not, honestly. The only thing you can do is sit with your sadness and suffering and wondering and let it be, and realize that in time it will get better.

On the other side, Buddha left his family for his spiritual journey but look what they got out of it in the end. They lost him, but they gained much as a results of his life and teachings. He had to leave his family to achieve what he did, and you never know, perhaps your SO is meant to achieve something great as well. But I think he should do a bit more exploring and conversing than simply a few weeks, personally.
    Jeffrey
  • @still_learning I suppose I am standing from the point of view of Buddhas wife/child, I wonder how they really felt? I see that in the long run Buddha's decision to leave has helped millions of others and that is admirable.

@karasti He has no debts, no job, he is an only child, he lives at home...I suppose it is the perfect opportunity to take this sort of path. He made it clear that he is torn between "living a normal life"(which includes being with his loved ones) and a "monastic life"(reclusive) My question is , should I let him know that my arms are open to him regardless?What would you do?
    I think that if he is torn, now is not the time to make the decision. It's worth exploring, but if he is not sure of the right way to go, it is not time to make the choice. I'm not sure how I would feel. Well in a sense I do. When I was in high school I was in love with a guy a few years older than me. He was in college, and things were fine, and then one day he up and decided to join the Marines and moved to California. I was 16, and he expected me to wait for him. It was very hard for me, I was very sad and lonely every time he left, and even his visits were always marred with knowing he would return to CA in 2 weeks. In time my life moved on without him and I broke up with him. So, at first yes I was very sad about his decision to up and join something that ensured our relationship could not continue, but as usual, life moved on and now I am with the right person for me. Had the other one not joined the Marines, I would not have the life I have now, possibly. So, even if we cannot see it at the time we are suffering, most of the time it gives way to other paths in our lives, which is a good thing.
  • deadsea said:

should I let him know that my arms are open to him regardless?

Yes.
    seeker242
  • @karasti Thank you for your insight. That really fuels my strength to be and to love. :)
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2012
    deadsea said:

@karasti He has no debts, no job, he is an only child, he lives at home...I suppose it is the perfect opportunity to take this sort of path. He made it clear that he is torn between "living a normal life"(which includes being with his loved ones) and a "monastic life"(reclusive) My question is , should I let him know that my arms are open to him regardless?What would you do?

I know exactly how it feels to be torn between wanting to live a worldly life and ordaining. I've felt the same way myself for the last 9 years.

Unfortunately, there's not really any advice anyone can give to help make this any easier for you. In the end, it's his decision to make, and my advice is to simply let him know how you feel and try to be supportive of his decision whatever it may be. He may decide to stay, or he may decide to explore this path to see if it's right for him. I'm sure it's not that he doesn't appreciate the people in his life, though, so much as he's simply looking for happiness. For some, the monastic life is where their heart is at, and where they can be of the greatest benefit to the world.

It can be difficult to let someone close to you go, but it's much better to part on good terms than bad, especially if it's for their potential long-term welfare and happiness.
  • deadsea said:

My significant other wants to abandon his attachments,including the people he loves to live a monastic life.I am struggling with the idea of abandoning the people we love in order to reach enlightenment. Is this extreme? I admire his choice and yet I feel a profound amount of grief like the death of a loved one.Because I love him I want to give him my blessing to go on his spiritual journey and I want him to know that I love him regardless- do you think this is foolish/delusional of me to believe that perhaps he will come to his senses and appreciate the people that are in his life?I need guidance... what do you think of this?

Maybe the concept of attachment and abandonment is this: Go on loving(attaching) but be ready to abandon (get detached) when you are require to do so. It does not mean one has to give up one 's loved ones and live like a monastic.
  • @deadsea

Perhaps you can now appreciate what it means to have deep attachment to someone and then losing that person. That was what Siddharta saw. That there is danger in getting attached to things that are inherently not under one's control. The only secure refuge is within one-self.

This passage may give you an idea why he left his family.
    "Monks, there are these two searches: ignoble search & noble search. And what is ignoble search? There is the case where a person, being subject himself to birth, seeks [happiness in] what is likewise subject to birth. Being subject himself to aging... illness... death... sorrow... defilement, he seeks [happiness in] what is likewise subject to illness... death... sorrow... defilement.

"And what may be said to be subject to birth? Spouses & children are subject to birth. Men & women slaves... goats & sheep... fowl & pigs... elephants, cattle, horses, & mares... gold & silver are subject to birth. Subject to birth are these acquisitions, and one who is tied to them, infatuated with them, who has totally fallen for them, being subject to birth, seeks what is likewise subject to birth.

"And what may be said to be subject to aging... illness... death... sorrow... defilement? Spouses & children... men & women slaves... goats & sheep... fowl & pigs... elephants, cattle, horses, & mares... gold & silver [2] are subject to aging... illness... death... sorrow... defilement. Subject to aging... illness... death... sorrow... defilement are these acquisitions, and one who is tied to them, infatuated with them, who has totally fallen for them, being subject to birth, seeks what is likewise subject to aging... illness... death... sorrow... defilement. This is ignoble search.

"And what is the noble search? There is the case where a person, himself being subject to birth, seeing the drawbacks of birth, seeks the unborn, unexcelled rest from the yoke: Unbinding. Himself being subject to aging... illness... death... sorrow... defilement, seeing the drawbacks of aging... illness... death... sorrow... defilement, seeks the aging-less, illness-less, deathless, sorrow-less, undefiled, unexcelled rest from the yoke: Unbinding. This is the noble search.

"I, too, monks, before my Awakening, when I was an unawakened bodhisatta, being subject myself to birth, sought what was likewise subject to birth. Being subject myself to aging... illness... death... sorrow... defilement, I sought [happiness in] what was likewise subject to illness... death... sorrow... defilement. The thought occurred to me, 'Why do I, being subject myself to birth, seek what is likewise subject to birth? Being subject myself to aging... illness... death... sorrow... defilement, why do I seek what is likewise subject to illness... death... sorrow... defilement? What if I, being subject myself to birth, seeing the drawbacks of birth, were to seek the unborn, unexcelled rest from the yoke: Unbinding? What if I, being subject myself to aging... illness... death... sorrow... defilement, seeing the drawbacks of aging... illness... death... sorrow... defilement, were to seek the aging-less, illness-less, deathless, sorrow-less,, unexcelled rest from the yoke: Unbinding?'

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.026.than.html
    Regards,
  • @zero What you say is true. Thank you for your unbiased opinion!
    Zero
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    deadsea said:

No.
    Never put your life on hold for the benefit of another, in the 'hope' or possibility they might return.
    Even if they do, the break will have changed the dynamics of your relationship and things will never be as they were....

If he's calling a halt to this relationship, the best thing for you would be to let him go.
    And then, in your solitude, decide what you want from any further relationships.
    What you seek is long-term companionship and constancy.
    Make that clear from the outset, when the time and person are right.

Zeroseeker242WonderingSeekerMaryAnne
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Every single one of our loved ones will abandon us one day. Our mothers, our fathers, our brothers, our sisters, all of our friends and neighbors. Even our own bodies will abandon us. Perhaps he realizes that this presents a huge problem? Most people deal with this problem simply by ignoring it and going on about their business. Other people feel a calling to try to solve this huge problem by doing something about it. If and when they do, they do a great service to help this entire world. :)

I would not jump to the conclusion that he's doing this because he does not appreciate the people in his life. It's possible that he does appreciate the people in his life but at the same time he realizes that all of them are currently dying. I would not jump to the conclusion that he's doing this because he is out of his senses or delusional, etc. If you really think about it, when presented with this huge problem, it's quite sensible to try to solve it. For a lot of people, it's impossible to just sit back and ignore it. For a lot of people, simply ignoring it is what is insensible.
    do you think this is foolish/delusional of me to believe that perhaps he will come to his senses and appreciate the people that are in his life?
    I think it's more foolish to automatically believe that he is out of his senses and more foolish to believe that he does not appreciate the other people in his life. It's quite possible that it has nothing, at all, to do with any of those things. Of course it's impossible to say why he's really doing this without knowing him personally but it's never wise to jump to conclusions. But of course, it's only natural to feel grief when faced with a loss, nearly everyone does. You should let him go and let him do what he needs to do and wish him well. That is the only way for you to find peace with this, IMO. :)
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    edited November 2012
    seeker242 said:

Most people deal with this problem simply by ignoring it and going on about their business.

Other people feel a calling to try to solve this huge problem by doing something about it.
    If you really think about it, when presented with this huge problem, it's quite sensible to try to solve it.
    For a lot of people, it's impossible to just sit back and ignore it. For a lot of people, simply ignoring it is what is insensible.

The irony is, those positions are broadly the same in relation to each other - it's a matter of how long it takes one to realise it.

It may be distressing if in the process one calcifies in either camp as it's just going to require more time - something that's in limited supply and uncertain.
    Where did anyone say he is doing this, and as a result doesn't appreciate the people in his life? I don't think anyone said that? Maybe I missed it though.

One other thought I had is, if he really is going to do this, cleaning ending the relationship is going to be the best thing, for both of you. He isn't going to want to go off to a monastery knowing you are at home waiting for him with open arms. That's a lot to put on someone. It will be enough to tell him he has your blessing and best wishes. If for some reason it does not work out and he seeks you out at a later date, then cross that bridge when you come to it. Leaving an open door, I think, is a mistake. Even if he did go for a time and come back, it'll be a different door he walks through, so no reason to leave the current one open. He'll find his way if that is what he decides. But a clean break is going to allow him to go unfettered, and allow you to continue on unfettered.
    MaryAnne
  • Sooner or later, everyone has to renounce the world. The wise ones do it sooner. Be happy for him.
  • federica said:

deadsea said:

No.
    Never put your life on hold for the benefit of another, in the 'hope' or possibility they might return.
    I would tell him that, then start looking for someone else if he hasn't flaked out of the monastery after 3-6 months.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited November 2012
    There is little you can offer someone with renunciation inclinations except freedom from worldly entanglements.
    As @Karasti says..A clean break is the best solution for everyone. The best you can hope for your current relationship with him is that his monastic hopes don't work out for him.
    Boy, just imagine what kind of baggage that will be added to your relationship if he does return from those dashed dreams.
    I feel your pain. I've seen plenty of folks right where you are. He is really going from his commitment to you, to a commitment to something else. If he later returns to you, it is really after he's let go of two more commitments and won't that be a recipe for you to wonder who you are really with?

Relationships that are pulling apart are so very painful because they mirror the very conditions that brought our ego's into existence. A past belief in our fundamental separation from love has resulted in a defensive identity that stands us apart from the rest of existence..
    All Buddhist practises are really efforts at illuminating the delusion of that separation. The more successful we are at letting go of this delusion, the better lovers we are to anyone we meet.
    Best of a meditative solution for you.
    Cheers
    H
    MaryAnne