Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Read any good books lately?

Does anyone have any suggestions for good Buddhist fiction?

Comments

• Siddhartha by Herman Hesse
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    If you can find a copy of either, The Power of Nothingness and The Superhuman Life of Gesar of Ling by Alexandra David-Neel and Lama Yongden are both pretty good.
  • Does anyone have any suggestions for good Buddhist fiction?

any of the Mahayana Sutras or Tantric revelations . . .
    ;)
    lillymac61BunksTosh
  • Awakening The Buddha WIthin by Lama Surya Das :) Great book so far. Almost done.
  • Wait.... The above response of mine is non-fiction. Sorry!!! Forgot you asked for fiction. Still a good read though. :)

Namaste
  • Anic said:

Wait.... The above response of mine is non-fiction. Sorry!!! Forgot you asked for fiction. Still a good read though. :)

Namaste

That's cool :) I'll note your recommendation anyway!
  • Jeffrey said:

Siddhartha by Herman Hesse

Thanks, I started watching the film but stopped it after about 20 mins. It is often said that the book is better than the film ;)
  • Jason said:

If you can find a copy of either, The Power of Nothingness and The Superhuman Life of Gesar of Ling by Alexandra David-Neel and Lama Yongden are both pretty good.

Thanks!
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    Cloud Atlas is a great book... Sort of buddhist, if you squint a bit.
  • Cloud Atlas is a great book... Sort of buddhist, if you squint a bit.

I'm actually looking for squint-a-bit. I started Cloud Atlas when it was first published but put it down. Sometimes it's just not the right time to read a book. I see the film of the book is due for release early 2013 and that it is directed by that Buddhist flirt, Andy Wachowski, who also directed the squint-a-bit Matrix Trilogy ;)
    BhanteLucky
  • Rev Cheng Yen, Still Thoughts. Quotations by the Rev mainly.
  • Herman Hesse is brilliant and I liked Siddhartha, but I'm not sure if I learned anything about Buddhism from it? I enjoyed it when I read it though and hadn't yet read any dharma literature.

All Herman Hesse is wonderful. I liked Narciss and Goldmund and also the Glass Bead Game.
  • Jeffrey said:

Herman Hesse is brilliant and I liked Siddhartha, but I'm not sure if I learned anything about Buddhism from it? I enjoyed it when I read it though and hadn't yet read any dharma literature.

All Herman Hesse is wonderful. I liked Narciss and Goldmund and also the Glass Bead Game.

Maybe read Siddharta again now that you've found the dharma... you may recognise aspects you didn't see the first time round. I recently watched the Matrix Trilogy again and the Zen concepts just kept jumping out, not that I felt any more enlightened for it ;)