Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Stealing Bad Karma

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited December 2012 in Philosophy
Stealing bad karma is an advanced Mahayana practice. It is basically taking on others faults. Here are some examples:

I was staying at a temple of lazy monks. Every day the morning rituals of replenishing the alter offerings were done by the same monk. Why when there was a rota? It was his service to his sangha. Kind . . .

I was at a dharma center the resident boss was throwing her weight around asking people to do things. It came to my turn to do some task, which I clearly was not about to do on her authority. Conflict was likely to erupt. A potential Bodhisattva, rushed forward and volunteered to do the task. Karma stolen. Conflict karma averted . . .

I was at a dharma talk and the head monk was nervous (he was about to run away but that is another story). The talk needed confidence. Luckily some buffoon deliberately rolled off their cushion as if falling off it. This broke the nervousness. Nobody present to their credit, outwardly laughed. Good talk. Did you guess I was the buffoon?

What behaviours have you seen or been engaged in? Try not to be proud of your modesty . . .
http://tinyurl.com/ykv2fp6

Comments

• No so much a matter of pride at display of modesty, rather not perceiving actions in the way that your question frames them ... I also can not relate to a sentiment of stealing bad karma.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited December 2012
    No one steals. appropriates, or modifies anyone's Karma Vipaka...that is an impossibility.
    Karma Vipaka does not relate to the persona...but to the unique never repeated actions that are its cause.
    The practice you describe is taking on the BLAME of others not their faults.
    It is in any situation to take the blame and then to surrender that blame with the next out breath.
    It is done internally and is nothing to do with any strategy for enhancing our belief in a solid self which teaches others..
  • See www.kagyu.org/slogans/instruction_12html
    " Driving All Blames Into One."
  • The practice you describe is taking on the BLAME of others not their faults.
    Exactly so, it is what the Sufis call 'blame worthy'
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malamatiyya
  • I have no idea what the Sufis teach on the matter.
    The idea that we can or should " steal another's karma " by which I assume that you mean karma-vipaka..(.you are not I assume meaning that we somehow go back in time and act for them.. ) has no basis in Buddhadharma and is misleading at best.
    There is a practice in Lojong mind training of "taking all blame into oneself "..this has nothing to do with modifying someone else's karma- vipaka.
    And certainly nothing to do with feeling superior to another, no matter how nervous they are.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Furthermore there is no " bad " karma vipaka...there are fruits of action..these fruits can be experienced as positive, negative, or neutral. In themselves they are not good or bad. That is like dropping a cup and describing gravity as " bad ".
    We may be emotionally attached to the cup and have an adverse reaction..they does not mean that gravity is bad.

As far as I can ascertain the Sufis have no concept analogous to karma and karma -vipaka at all..
    So how they contribute to this discussion eludes me.
    To quote Ajahn Sumedho
    " We should respect all traditions. but we can only practice one properly "
  • The Sufi teachings are far more developed.

In Lojong we thwart the efforts of others in their actions.
    In effect stealing their negative tendencies away from them:

Examples:

I was walking away from a stupa with some votive candles for the next day. A Tibetan in my path rushed towards me as if I was offering the candles to him as a gift. I was of course happy to give him the candles and was grateful for the opportunity..
    Now had I been 'dharma mugged'? Had I been forced into generosity by an astute sangha member?

I was holding open a door for an elderly and arthritic lama, he rushed to the door delighted at my kindness, perhaps causing himself distress. Holding a door for someone is nothing but it had been made into a kindness greater than it was. Perhaps he had revealed or made more of small kindness. Nobody is superior in this action, these things are right to do if you are able.

:clap:
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Lojong is absolutely NOTHING to do with "thwarting the actions of others "
    That sounds more like a type of narcissistic personality disorder, and starts with an assumption that we know best what others need. And then stoop down to them for their own good.
    But there is little point in my attempting to pour fresh water into a full glass..
    I wish you well on your "far more developed " path..

Meanwhile if anyone is interested in the " less developed " cough.. Buddhist concept of " taking all blame " and in seeing it in its Buddhist context then I suggest that they google
    " Taking All blame Into Oneself " in Vajrayana Buddhism.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Stealing is taking that which is not freely given; doesn't that make you a thief?
    It's like a Christian declaring they will pray for my conversion; very kind of you I'm sure, but please, don't bother....
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited December 2012
    In brief Lojong is a practice that needs detailed hands-on instruction and involves four main aspects.
    Sending and Receiving ( Tonglen )
    Whereby one receives the negativity of the world on the in breath and breathes out peace and joy.

Driving All Blames Into One.
    Whereby one takes all blame into oneself and then dissolves it.

Gratitude To Everyone.
    Learning to see that all beings have been one's mother, and that all circumstances are the teacher.

Abandoning All Hope Of Fruition.
    One lays down all hope of future attainment for oneself and others and simply abides in what is.
  • Stealing is taking that which is not freely given; doesn't that make you a thief?
    Of course.
    Just as one of the 84 mahasiddhis was a thief initially (the red horned thief).
    Exhibiting knowledge, preferences, metta etc is a way of preventing bad karma. Now what is the difference between my karma and yours? Well as this is the advanced section, none. Therefore you must be correct, one can not steal what one owns.

If someone is attached to their suffering? What then? Let them suffer? I think we should steal all the bad karma we can . . . of course I believe sometimes we have to find the jewel in the obstacle . . . so maybe we can place obstacles in peoples path to further their development? Don't like the posibility of that? Not sure how it is done. :) I guess it can only be done by accredited sleep walkers? Always glad to hear of examples . . .
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2012
    lobster said:

Stealing is taking that which is not freely given; doesn't that make you a thief?
    Of course.
    Just as one of the 84 mahasiddhis was a thief initially (the red horned thief).
    Exhibiting knowledge, preferences, metta etc is a way of preventing bad karma. Now what is the difference between my karma and yours? Well as this is the advanced section, none. Therefore you must be correct, one can not steal what one owns.

I think I'm getting one of my our headaches.... :p

lobster
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited December 2012
    As this IS the Advanced Ideas subforum It should perhaps be pointed out that you are continuing to conflate Karma and Karma- Vipika and you are making the basic error of describing Karma ( by which anyway you mean Karma -Vipika ) as " bad ".
    Vipaka is simply the result of action...karma.
    Furthermore it is not personal...people do not " have " karma...Karma Vipaka is what shapes the apparent person via the skandhas/kandhas..we could even say that the person IS their Karma-Vipaka..not some Self that owns their Vipaka.
    We are not little monads with a core of Karma -Vipaka..that is one of the Vedic ( Hindu ) ideas that the Buddha departed radically from to found a philosophy breathtaking in its radical freshness..
    Karma-Vipaka cannot be prevented. Neither our own nor anyone elses. Save by profound Realisation.
    Until then all we can do is take responsibility for the results of our own actions.
    Lojong is a profound means of taking that responsibility.
    It is not a mystical formula or strategy to bypass Karma - Vipaka.
    You started the thread with a totally unsound premise..that it is possible /desirable to "steal someone karma " because we know what is best for them..and you have compounded it with a series of non sequiturs and a basic lack of knowledge of Buddhadharma. You have instead substituted a DIY system of your own devising...
    But don't take my word for this folks, check it out..prerably with a hands on teacher.
  • When something is ripened we still have to eat. Most of us are aware that nobody can live our life. Can our evolvement be hastened, our karma ripened, would that involve a lot of suffering? Who would do such a thing? It would be like stealing peoples sleep from them . . . or giving them a bitter medicine for a headache.

The sheer affrontry of such behaviour! :clap:
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Once more you evade the ruthless radicalism of the Buddha..
    You talk of "our" Karma...
    We ARE our Karma-Vipaka. You are your Karma-Vipaka..I am my Karma-Vipaka there is no owner..there is no one at home.
    The house is demolished..its beams cannot support it..
    The green leaf of summer does not become the red leaf of autumn..there is no leaf apart from its form and colour...A leaf or a person is just a linguistic convention to describe a state of flux.

There is no person PLUS their Karma...
    That is what anatta means. That is why anicca is a reality..and why dukkha arises in resistance to anatta and anicca.

Let that thought sink in awhile..
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited December 2012
    I am not being facetious here..I have a friend who had been a Buddhist for some time and she attended a retreat and the really radical nature of Buddha's dharma struck her forcibly for the first time..she realised that she had been unconsciously diluting what the Buddha was saying about anatta..the result was she dropped Buddhism for several years. She said it was like an attack of severe vertigo.
    She is now a Buddhist teacher btw.

The Buddha did not take prisoners.
    When he taught anatta he meant it.
  • The birds are stealing my birdseed.
    They don't know who invited them to this bird party.
    They cannot take away my karma but they can delight me.
    lobster
  • I don't think you can steal karma. It's kinda illogical.

You might be able to manipulate someone into doing something, but that's not the same thing.

If someone decides to do something differently, that's up to them. You don't get to take credit for it. It's like an AA sponsor. They aren't keeping the sponsee sober, the sponsee is doing that himself. Just because the sponsor is there for support and guidance doesn't mean he has anything to do with the other guy's sobriety.

The idea just doesn't make sense.

• Okay, I want to steal a person’s bad karma.
    So I find someone who really hates someone else so much that he wants to kill him.
    Now I steal his karma and kill that person before he can do it.
    (I hope you all see this is hypothetical.)

Now what is my karma; is it good or is it bad?
    I killed (bad). I saved someone (good).
    I don’t know the answer to this; but if you got worried relax; I’m not going to kill anyone.
    RebeccaS
  • You started the thread with a totally unsound premise..that it is possible /desirable to "steal someone karma " because we know what is best for them
    Perhaps.
    Perhaps the avoiding of our and others suffering is intertwined and entangled. I think it is best to end suffering. Perhaps that is only possible for the individual. Perhaps not. Is it possible to remove peoples tendecies to suffer? Is it possible to steal their attention away from the trivial onto the means to overcome suffering? Are you attempting that? I would say you are . . .
    Of course calling this a 'stealing of ignorance' is just a use of language, it is up to you to test its validity . . . What words would you prefer to use :)
  • zenff said:

Okay, I want to steal a person’s bad karma.
    So I find someone who really hates someone else so much that he wants to kill him.
    Now I steal his karma and kill that person before he can do it.
    (I hope you all see this is hypothetical.)

Now what is my karma; is it good or is it bad?
    I killed (bad). I saved someone (good).
    I don’t know the answer to this; but if you got worried relax; I’m not going to kill anyone.

Don't kill me zenff! Just kiddin'
    zenff
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited December 2012
    I would prefer to use the words of my teachers that are consistent to the whole schemata of Lojong...which is a formal and traditional method of Buddhist mind training, and not to bend it to my own whims.
    You cant in Buddhist terms test the validity of a proposal that has no basis in any known teaching found in Buddhadharma.
    Your very first statement was that " stealing karma is an advanced Mahayana practice "
    No it isn't.
    It is an idea that shows a basic misunderstanding of karma and karma-vipaka and if you can show any authentic Mahayana source for it I will pay £100 to any registered charity that you nominate.
  • No it isn't.
    Perhaps
    Perhaps sometimes a clap is designed to create a reaction. Now do you feel you had a hand in this?
    http://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=11052

If so send half the money to a charity of your choice.
    If not keep it in good faith :)
    pommesetoranges
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited December 2012
    I dont see how an exchange quoted from another website that I am not a member of can be associated with me simply because I took part in THIS exchange...
    I take from that website discussion the fact that clearly I am not alone in my reaction to your input..
    Which I knew anyway from PM's.
    The money will be sent to a charity WHEN you can show that " stealing karma is an advanced Mahayana practice "..with textual or at least authoritative backing . Which is what I offered.
    Until then I will continue to assume that it simply an idea of your own, and the money will stay firmly in my account.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    edited December 2012
    I smell what you're steppin' in, @lobster. Interesting. I shall have to ponder it and if I come up with something I will let you know.