Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I am Glutten Allergic? Bloated after I eat Glutten food? but not sure?

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
Was wondering if any members are also Gluten allergic? I am a bit confused? Any experiences, thoughts or concerns? I seem to also not able to eat meat, due to it messing up my blood? Anyone have this experience or heard about this experience? Thank you,
Leon

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I had to giggle at your minor typo ;) Glutten=someone who consumes too much. Gluten=protein found in wheat and some other grains ;)

Anyhow, yes, I have gluten allergy but I do not have celiac disease. They are not the same thing. What would you like to know?

I don't know if meat will mess up your blood, unless you have an iron problem but then generally meat would correct that problem. Many people find if they significantly decrease their meat consumption they no longer have the enzymes in their digestive tract required to digest it so it makes them sick. It is possible to readjust the other way, my sister was an omnivore, then a vegetarian and then vegan (for 15 years) and now is back to meat eating. But she had to ease back into it carefully.
  • What do you mean, meat messes up your blood? How so?

It might be a wheat allergy, not necessarily gluten. While you have health insurance, try to find a doc who tests for food allergies.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2012
    There is an author who says that people with type A blood should not eat meat. I know that because I am A positive. But I have been vegetarian and I didn't notice feeling worse when I went back to eating meat. It's hard to say though because so many other factors varied for me during that time from medicines to life stressors etc.

Did you read the same author as me Leon?
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    karasti said:

I had to giggle at your minor typo ;) Glutten=someone who consumes too much. Gluten=protein found in wheat and some other grains ;)

Anyhow, yes, I have gluten allergy but I do not have celiac disease. They are not the same thing. What would you like to know?

I don't know if meat will mess up your blood, unless you have an iron problem but then generally meat would correct that problem. Many people find if they significantly decrease their meat consumption they no longer have the enzymes in their digestive tract required to digest it so it makes them sick. It is possible to readjust the other way, my sister was an omnivore, then a vegetarian and then vegan (for 15 years) and now is back to meat eating. But she had to ease back into it carefully.

Oh, wows! Thank you for that wonderful mistake. My excuse..I wrote it on my smart phone.
    karasti said:

Thank you!
    I think that I'm getting tired, bloated and such from wheat products? But I am not sure. It doesn't seem that I am able to find the actual cause...But today I noticed that when I ate the bagel, I started to fart, got bloated and just felt tired?
    Dakini said:

What do you mean, meat messes up your blood? How so?

It might be a wheat allergy, not necessarily gluten. While you have health insurance, try to find a doc who tests for food allergies.

I do, but I really do not like Doctors....I am seeing a Alternative Doctor, so I suppose I can speak to them.
    Gluten and wheat problems can manifest in a number of ways from typical allergic rhinitis (runny nose) to diarrhea, bloating, stomach pain, even joint pain. Another reason you might have noticed it is because bagels are among the highest foods on the GI scale that exist (meaning they jack up your blood sugar faster and higher than most other foods, causing your body to respond with insulin which leads to BS highs and lows and leaving you feel like poop)

What I would do is eat normally for 3-5 days, and keep a food journal. Write what you ate, and how you felt after eating/if you noticed anything odd, pain, bloating, etc. You'll start to see patterns and be able to establish if it seems related to those foods. Then eliminate the suspect from your diet for a week or 2, and see if you feel better. Modern wheat affects a lot of people. Can be nasty stuff.

A naturopath or alternative doctor will possibly be even more helpful than a typical doctor because they are usually more well versed on nutrition beyond the USDA/government recommendations. Keep in mind that if you do find a problem with wheat, it might not be limited to only wheat as rye, barley and even oats can cause the same reaction. you definitely want to look into it, just in case, because celiac can be serious if you let it go. Causes your body to not absorb nutrition and causes damage to the intestines. Worth looking into for sure.
    DaltheJigsaw
    karasti said:

Gluten and wheat problems can manifest in a number of ways from typical allergic rhinitis (runny nose) to diarrhea, bloating, stomach pain, even joint pain. Another reason you might have noticed it is because bagels are among the highest foods on the GI scale that exist (meaning they jack up your blood sugar faster and higher than most other foods, causing your body to respond with insulin which leads to BS highs and lows and leaving you feel like poop)

What I would do is eat normally for 3-5 days, and keep a food journal. Write what you ate, and how you felt after eating/if you noticed anything odd, pain, bloating, etc. You'll start to see patterns and be able to establish if it seems related to those foods. Then eliminate the suspect from your diet for a week or 2, and see if you feel better. Modern wheat affects a lot of people. Can be nasty stuff.

A naturopath or alternative doctor will possibly be even more helpful than a typical doctor because they are usually more well versed on nutrition beyond the USDA/government recommendations. Keep in mind that if you do find a problem with wheat, it might not be limited to only wheat as rye, barley and even oats can cause the same reaction. you definitely want to look into it, just in case, because celiac can be serious if you let it go. Causes your body to not absorb nutrition and causes damage to the intestines. Worth looking into for sure.

Wow! Great info! Is there a diet you particularly follow? My friend recommened 80/10/10 book? Any thoughts? Thanks~!
    edited December 2012
    I mostly just don't eat much for grains at all. No bread items, no pasta, no cereal. I thought it would be really hard, because pasta was one of my favorite foods, but once I was feeling better, the cravings for the stuff were completely gone. Every once in a while I think "I'll be worth it" and have some lasagna or something, but I always regret it. I thought "Cripes, what am I going to eat!?" and found a lot of new favorite foods and snacks. Like artichoke. I eat like 3 of them a week now, lol. Fruits and veggies are kind of hard to come by in decent shape here in the winter, so that stinks. We usually end up traveling farther to get better quality produce. We just live too far away from distribution centers/warehouses, the cold weather affects them too much and they show up half frozen piles of mush at the store.

I haven't read the 80-10-10 books. Wheat Belly, as gimicky as it sounds, has quite a bit of good information and recipes in it. I mostly follow a paleo style diet, which I know isn't popular with many Buddhists, but it is what works for me right now. I have decreased the # of days I eat meat and gotten more careful about where I buy it. I do eat a lot of nuts, which I love. I just wish they didn't cost so much, lol.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2012
    karasti said:

I had to giggle at your minor typo ;) Glutten=someone who consumes too much. Gluten=protein found in wheat and some other grains ;) .

It's "glutton", "gluttony". "Glutten" isn't a word. (As long as we're nit-picking...) :D

I'm an artichoke freak, myself, btw. Artichokes help fight cholesterol build-up, did you know that?

karastiDaltheJigsaw
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    LeonBasin said:

Was wondering if any members are also Gluten allergic? I am a bit confused? Any experiences, thoughts or concerns? I seem to also not able to eat meat, due to it messing up my blood? Anyone have this experience or heard about this experience? Thank you,
    Leon

What are your symptoms ? Usually, allergic reactions manifest in an 'aggressive' way (especially when it comes to food) , and have itchiness, swelling , redness, and warmth as a sign.
  • The easiest way to test without seeing a doctor is to do a fast (while sleeping is fine) then eat some of what you think you might be allergic to and see what happens over the next five hours.

Or you can do an exclusion diet. Eat normally minus one thing for a week and see how you feel. If you're no better then exclude something else the next week.

I can't see how meat would be messing up your blood though. Unless you have an iron problem or a B12 problem it doesn't really make sense, and given that the problem most people with these issues is deficiency, eating more meat would usually help. There is a theory that certain meats are better for people with different blood types, and that some blood types are more suited to vegan diets than others, but that doesn't mean they have a problem with any meats, and it also sounds a bit nonsensey to me lol.
    DaltheJigsaw
  • LeonBasin said:

Leon

What are your symptoms ? Usually, allergic reactions manifest in an 'aggressive' way (especially when it comes to food) , and have itchiness, swelling , redness, and warmth as a sign.
    This isn't necessarily true. Allergic reactions can be as small as a little nausea, or farting :lol: It doesn't need to be full on anaphylaxis.
    DaltheJigsaw
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    @RebeccaS.

I was referring to urticaria ( or how's that called in English), allergic dermatitis and so on , which can be induced by eating a protein which the body doesn't quite tolerate. I didn't ( want to) describe an anaphylactic reaction ( in which the body responds to those substances in a really violent way).
    Also, farting is the result of fermentation inside the digestive tract ( can you show me how farting is related to inflammation, pleeeease ! :bowdown: )
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited December 2012
    No, they can be allergic reactions, my point is that allergic reactions don't have to be severe or aggressive and can be quite mild, hence the qualifier "necessarily".
    Part of the problem with wheat is it takes several days, and sometimes even longer to et it out of your system entirely. Not the wheat itself but the effects on your body, because it causes inflammation (in those with a problem to it) and it takes a while for your body to recover and go back to normal. So unless you find the offending foods and eliminate them for a longer period of time, your body doesn't have time for the effects to wear off before you bombard it again. Also, when you add it back in, do it in small amounts, a half cup or less.

Wheat allergy doesn't always manifest in the same way as, say, a peanut allergy. When I did a wheat elimination and then had a small roll with dinner (2 weeks with no wheat at all) within 5 minutes I had a nose that was running like a faucet, watery eyes, and bloating. That was it. No swelling in my mouth, hives, or other such symptoms. Over time if you keep eating it it can affect your joints, too. I have a young cousin with RA and he cannot eat wheat because of the inflammation it causes. The problem with an allergy is it generally will get worse over time. While you might notice some bloating and/or diarrhea or a runny nose or whatever if you eat too much wheat (say you had toast for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch and pasta for dinner) over time you'll experience the same symptoms with even just a little bit of wheat.
  • On bagels, do they have table sugar etc in them? I thought they were a starch and I am not sure why insulin is a problem with a complex carb. I might be missing some key knowledge?
    Because the faster something is absorbed the more your body has to put out insulin to deal with the fast rise in blood sugar. Anything white bread, or especially dense white bread (aka bagels) causes a huge spike in blood sugar. If you look up online the Glycemic Index, it'll show you what foods are the highest, which means they cause the biggest spike in blood sugar. If you eat those foods often your body is constantly dishing out insulin which over time can make you insulin resistant.
    Anything that is a carb, causes an insulin release. Some things push the sugar into your body faster than others. Processed bread products and potatoes are among the worst offenders.

A piece of white bread, which has 14g of carbs (on average, but most are pretty close to identical) will raise my sons blood sugar (he's diabetic) 300 points within a matter of 30-45 minutes if he doesn't have insulin to cover it. Whole grain products produce a slower release of sugar and thus insulin, but still over all it's best to limit a lot of grains in the diet because they all cause pretty good spikes in blood sugar.

Sugar isn't the only thing that insulin is needed for. Any carb at all requires insulin for the body to be able to get the sugar to the cells for the body to use for energy. Too many carbs=a lot of insulin output and along with it, extra fat storage for people who become resistant, increased risk of T2 diabetes, and other health problems.

Here is well-rounded chart. We use one the doctor gave us that has a lot more foods in it, but this gives an idea. The higher the # first column (well the one next to the food names) the more sugar goes into your blood and the more insulin your body needs to get your blood sugar regulated. It's actually really complex, because you liver also releases glucose into the blood, lol.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods.htm

LeonBasin said:

Leon

Bloated, tired and farting. Lol!
    karasti said:

Part of the problem with wheat is it takes several days, and sometimes even longer to et it out of your system entirely. Not the wheat itself but the effects on your body, because it causes inflammation (in those with a problem to it) and it takes a while for your body to recover and go back to normal. So unless you find the offending foods and eliminate them for a longer period of time, your body doesn't have time for the effects to wear off before you bombard it again. Also, when you add it back in, do it in small amounts, a half cup or less.

Wheat allergy doesn't always manifest in the same way as, say, a peanut allergy. When I did a wheat elimination and then had a small roll with dinner (2 weeks with no wheat at all) within 5 minutes I had a nose that was running like a faucet, watery eyes, and bloating. That was it. No swelling in my mouth, hives, or other such symptoms. Over time if you keep eating it it can affect your joints, too. I have a young cousin with RA and he cannot eat wheat because of the inflammation it causes. The problem with an allergy is it generally will get worse over time. While you might notice some bloating and/or diarrhea or a runny nose or whatever if you eat too much wheat (say you had toast for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch and pasta for dinner) over time you'll experience the same symptoms with even just a little bit of wheat.

Yea, wheat definitly does something.
  • The other possibility, Leon, is that it could be an allergy to yeast, and anything fermented. Do you have problems with beer or wine? Cheese?
  • Many people have wheat/gluten sensitivities. Try some other whole grains such as quinoa or even spelt (a less harsh form of wheat).
    Dakini said:

The other possibility, Leon, is that it could be an allergy to yeast, and anything fermented. Do you have problems with beer or wine? Cheese?

I don't believe I do. I don't drink beer or wine, really. Cheese? I don't really eat much cheese. However, when I do, it doesn't seem to give me problems?

Many people have wheat/gluten sensitivities. Try some other whole grains such as quinoa or even spelt (a less harsh form of wheat).

Thank you!
  • It can be hard to find out. It took the doctors years to finally diagnose him with celiac disease, for example.
  • LeonBasin said:

Many people have wheat/gluten sensitivities. Try some other whole grains such as quinoa or even spelt (a less harsh form of wheat).

Thank you!
    You're welcome. I recently went raw food vegan (well, I still eat cooked grains like quinoa and such on occasion) and my digestion has never been better. My body has developed so many sensitivities over time to things like legumes (i.e. soy, beans, certain seeds and nuts, etc.) and fruits and so forth, that I realized it had to be due to all the processed foods I had been poisoning by body with over my lifetime. So many chemicals and preservatives and hormones and horrible things are in the processed foods we eat and in the meat and dairy we consume. If you want to feel better, I suggest perhaps dabbling a bit with the 80/10/10 diet and reading up on it. There is another diet called the GAPS diet, but I never recommend it to anyone because it involves animal products and I've been a vegetarian most of my life due to my love of animals, but if you're not and you read up on it and think it will suit you better than 80/10/10, go for it. :) Either diet will supposedly heal the "leaky gut syndrome" which causes all of these food sensitivities and intolerance, but from my own experience 80/10/10 makes the most sense and is the most humane approach.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2012
    @Leon_Basin There are non-gluten breads--Whole Foods sells a hemp bread that's pretty good. Other health food stores sell rice breads that are a bit heavier, but also good. Also, there are non-gluten crackers. Some of them are yummy!

There's a saliva test you can take to determine if you have an above-normal level of antibodies to gluten. A naturopathic or holistic med. practitioner could give you that. But you can also figure it out for yourself; go off gluten and wheat for a month, then re-introduce it to your body and see what happens.