Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Does modern medicine know why we respond to music?

I was thinking of chakra yoga and thinking how it is about the subtle body which western medicine doesn't address so much.

I wondered if medicine knew why we liked, responded, etc to music? (not to be confused with music, our good sanghamate)

Comments

• Music is doubtless supreme, but modern medicine doesn't have a clue as to why. I guess, like love, music too shall remain a most beautiful mystery.
    Cole_
  • Strange that this topic started just as I was listening buddhist chants modified by brainwave entrainment.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009Y1L730/ref=dm_ty_trk

Brainwave entrainment is where you listen to a frequency which is supposed to guide your own natural brainwave frequency to a certain state of mind. The Science behind this seems sound. http://www.doctorspreferredprograms.com/research-articles/Comprehesive Review...Brain Entrainment Email.pdf

Perhaps there are more subtle frequency's in pop/rock/classical etc music that appeal in different ways to different brains?

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited December 2012
    I'm not sure this would be 'modern medicine', but isn't
    the theory that because we are first exposed to music...
    heartbeat/breathing/rhythm of mommy's tummy....isn't
    that connection of first awareness/soothing beats,
    will always be the reason why we respond so much
    to it? And I thought the brain connection was that
    the minute the brain recognizes the positive effect
    is the minute the brain/mind starts running stuff off
    of those beats/natural rythms?
    Did I say all that right? hahaha

I do think it's interesting what Niwalen brings up...
    different ways, and different brains.
    Thanks for the links too!
  • It never fails to amaze me how music can draw very specific memories from your mind, ones you didn't even know you had.
  • @Vastminds, then why don't animals respond to music? Mummy kitty had a heartbeat too? Or maybe it is the coohs and ahhs of human parents?
  • edited December 2012
    Jeffrey said:

@Vastminds, then why don't animals respond to music? Mummy kitty had a heartbeat too? Or maybe it is the coohs and ahhs of human parents?

Birds seem to love violin, I use to play for the cockatiel friends I had as a kid. All four would sit on the edge of the top of the cage and listen for as long as I would play, then when I was done they quietly went back to whatever they were doing. Maybe they hated it and wanted me to stop, who knows haha.
  • That makes sense that birds would like music. My dodgs and cats don't seem to pay it any attention whatsoever. Yes I have tried to teach my dogs and cats to dance!
    Cole_
  • Jeffrey said:

That makes sense that birds would like music. My dodgs and cats don't seem to pay it any attention whatsoever. Yes I have tried to teach my dogs and cats to dance!

Totally agree, cats and dogs are pretty indifferent about it. Cats are super independent animals in particular. Makes sense though, cats are descendants of lions, dogs descendants of wolves. Pretty fierce predators by nature. How did the poochie dance lessons go? Haha! :) My little best friend stands on his hind legs occasionally but that's about the closest I've seen him go to imitation of human behavior.

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Music has a profound influence over the state of your mind, I have tested this on many occasion, Mind if the chief influence on the state of your well being mentally and physically.