Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditating when you're not meditating...?

I feel bad coming here with problems... but the other night I was suposed to sign on-line to do a web service with people from my temple for the CT shootings. I was early and started to watch some stupid stuff on youtube. While I was watching there was nothing, there was no me, there was no time, there was no room, etc. If this had happened while I was meditating it would have made sense, but I lost track of time and of myself and it was over an hour before I "woke up" and by that time I missed the web service. Has this ever happened to anyone else before? I am also unable to get "there" while I am meditating, either silent or chanting. Any advise? Thanks!

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I was early and started to watch some stupid stuff on youtube. While I was watching there was nothing, there was no me, there was no time, there was no room, etc.

Do you mean you were completely absorbed in what you were watching?
    BhikkhuJayasara
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited December 2012
    that does not sound like mindfulness meditation, as you would be hyper aware of each second... sounds more like missing time, were you abducted by aliens? hehe :P.

it is very true that when you establish and practice mindfulness it can and will come on it's own at any time and will pass away at any time.. this is the nature of all conditioned phenomenon. It sounds more like you were in a trance state, or just tired.

I was early and started to watch some stupid stuff on youtube. While I was watching there was nothing, there was no me, there was no time, there was no room, etc.

Do you mean you were completely absorbed in what you were watching?
    Like when you go to movies and then it's over and you realize you had no idea what went on around you and had no connection to your body and mind for 2 hours?
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Things like that used to happen to me all the time. It's WHY i started to practice mindfulness, because I didn't like suddenly snapping to and realizing I'd just missed an hour of my life, or just driven 5 miles and missed my turn with no recollection of it (bet you are glad you don't share the road with me! lol) In my experience, when I reach "that place" in meditation, it is nothing like having zoned out while watching a show or driving. There have even been times I've been watching something and given one of my kids permission to do something, and later confronted them on why they were doing X and they look at me all confused saying "Uh, I asked and you said I could." Meditation and mindfulness is the complete opposite of that.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Zoning out = MIA
    Meditation =aware of each nano moment.
  • edited December 2012
    I feel like I've been smoking and someone just told me I wasn't inhaling. lol At least I have some direction for dealing with this. I've always had issues with "missing time" and getting totally lost in watching TV or books, (I'm also guilty of driving long streches on auto-pilot!) this one was just particularly bad because I had something I was suposed to be doing. :O)
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran

I feel like I've been smoking and someone just told me I wasn't inhaling. lol At least I have some direction for dealing with this. I've always had issues with "missing time" and getting totally lost in watching TV or books, (I'm also guilty of driving long streches on auto-pilot!) this one was just particularly bad because I had something I was suposed to be doing. :O)

oooh you are so guilty, evil and bad!!!!.. for being totally normal. LOL ;P
    lobster
  • Normality can be very grounding.
    I have met totally self sufficient, silent, non engaging Buddhists.
    Weirdos.
    . . . come to think of it I am often one of those weirdos . . .
    Change. It is certain.
    Cole_
  • lobster said:

Normality can be very grounding.
    I have met totally self sufficient, silent, non engaging Buddhists.
    Weirdos.
    . . . come to think of it I am often one of those weirdos . . .
    Change. It is certain.

You and me both brother. Haha! Sometimes we can end up being recluses amidst being separated by nothing more then walls from our neighbors.
    lobster
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    how said:

Zoning out = MIA
    Meditation =aware of each nano moment.

I agree, but being fully absorbed in something isn't zoning out.