Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I am honoured to live near him.

I recently discovered that Lelung Rinpoche, one of Tibetan Buddhism’s three principal reincarnations, lives in the same town as I do. I have access to him and his wisdom, in fact, he lives in the garden shed of my mother's friend. How grateful I am.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00kfq38

Comments

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2012
    I wasn't able to get the video to play. But the 2 principal reincarnations in Tibetan Buddhism are the Dalai Lama and the Panchen Lama. After them, it's the lineage heads: the Karmapa, the Sakya lineage heads, and the Nyingma and Gelug lineage heads. I'm curious to see who Lelung Rinpoche is.
  • Dakini said:

I wasn't able to get the video to play. But the 2 principal reincarnations in Tibetan Buddhism are the Dalai Lama and the Panchen Lama. After them, it's the lineage heads: the Karmapa, the Sakya lineage heads, and the Nyingma and Gelug lineage heads. I'm curious to see who Lelung Rinpoche is.

Oh, I don't think I have been misinformed by the BBC before. They usually prove to be very reliable.
  • Just on a quick search it looks like he's the lineage head for the Lelung... I'm not sure where they fit in with the other major schools... this is just a quick excert from the web site for the Lelung tradition:

The teachings of the Lelung tradition originated with Buddha Amitabha, the Buddha of Infinite Light... As Guru Padmasambhava prophesized, this teaching lineage (lineage, here, means the original teaching fully introduced with pure motivation from teacher to teacher) was received by the Fifth Lelung Rinpoche, Pema Zhepai Dorje (1697-1740) and he spread the teachings widely in Tibet where they flourished. Many masters and students practiced the teachings until the mid-1950s when, due to upheaval in Tibet, most of the teachings almost disappeared. Now, the present 11th Lelung Rinpoche is trying to preserve these teachings.
  • Just on a quick search it looks like he's the lineage head for the Lelung... I'm not sure where they fit in with the other major schools... this is just a quick excert from the web site for the Lelung tradition:

The teachings of the Lelung tradition originated with Buddha Amitabha, the Buddha of Infinite Light... As Guru Padmasambhava prophesized, this teaching lineage (lineage, here, means the original teaching fully introduced with pure motivation from teacher to teacher) was received by the Fifth Lelung Rinpoche, Pema Zhepai Dorje (1697-1740) and he spread the teachings widely in Tibet where they flourished. Many masters and students practiced the teachings until the mid-1950s when, due to upheaval in Tibet, most of the teachings almost disappeared. Now, the present 11th Lelung Rinpoche is trying to preserve these teachings.

Yes, now I understand. I believe he wishes to finish the preservation and then return to his native Tibet.
  • How grateful I am.
    How will this translate? What is your plan? You are fortunate if you make use of this.
    I saw the video. He seemed a great guy. Good luck. :)
  • I found a little info on him on a forum. The DL recognized him as the 11th Lelung Rinpoche. He represents a lineage in Gelug whose teachings have been almost lost, so he's traveling around trying to gather them up. This lineage was based on a terma (hidden text) composed by Padmasambhava, that was found by the 5th Lelung Rinpoche. Apparently it's more of a Nyingma tradition to find terma, so this lineage practices something viewed as a blend of Nyingma and Gelug.
    ecdrewello1
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran

I recently discovered that Lelung Rinpoche, one of Tibetan Buddhism’s three principal reincarnations, lives in the same town as I do. I have access to him and his wisdom, in fact, he lives in the garden shed of my mother's friend. How grateful I am.

Friend Lelung Rinpoche is not a principle incarnation by any means he is one of many thousands of incarnations, Still I would go and see him. :)
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Dakini said:

I found a little info on him on a forum. The DL recognized him as the 11th Lelung Rinpoche. He represents a lineage in Gelug whose teachings have been almost lost, so he's traveling around trying to gather them up. This lineage was based on a terma (hidden text) composed by Padmasambhava, that was found by the 5th Lelung Rinpoche. Apparently it's more of a Nyingma tradition to find terma, so this lineage practices something viewed as a blend of Nyingma and Gelug.

It is certainly not Gelugpa the teachings Lelung Rinpoche received.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2012
    caz said:

It is certainly not Gelugpa the teachings Lelung Rinpoche received.

Right. It's a controversial lineage, I gather, but the DL is into ecumenism within TB, so to speak, having studied teachings and practices from all 4 main schools of TB, so this seems to be up his alley.

• I recently discovered that Lelung Rinpoche, one of Tibetan Buddhism’s three principal reincarnations, lives in the same town as I do. I have access to him and his wisdom, in fact, he lives in the garden shed of my mother's friend. How grateful I am.

You are so lucky. I am just honoured with the presence of kind people.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    footiam said:

your statement reminded me of a quote from the recent Hobbit movie -

“Saruman believes it is only great power that can hold evil in check, but that is not what I have found. I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. Gandalf”

I personally don't care who a person is or what their rebirth entails.. those small acts in the "gradual training" by regular people.. mean much more to me then titles and rebirths.
    how
  • Jayantha said:

footiam said:

your statement reminded me of a quote from the recent Hobbit movie -

“Saruman believes it is only great power that can hold evil in check, but that is not what I have found. I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. Gandalf”

I personally don't care who a person is or what their rebirth entails.. those small acts in the "gradual training" by regular people.. mean much more to me then titles and rebirths.
    Hobbit is in town but I have yet to see it but I have seen Jacky Chan's Chinese Horoscope. Nice, even without words.