Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

sanghas/teachers in Chengdu, China

I think it is time for me to start learning from a teacher. I noticed that there are some people here having Tibetan masters. Given the fact that I currently live in Chengdu, which the closest big Chinese city to Lhasa and there are many lamas here even in the streets, I figured out that it might be quite practical to find a Tibetan teacher. I would like to ask you for any recommendations or help in getting it touch with a suitable person. I made some research on the topic but it didn't bring any results. Secondly, as you can probably imagine Tibetan Buddhism is not the most welcomed idea here in China, so getting any substantial information is a little bit tricky. I also believe that it is much wiser to get in touch with a person who was recommended by a master having satisfied students (you!) somewhere else in the world. I speak Mandarin so communication shouldn't not be a problem, as the majority of Tibetans here are fluent in this language. I will appreciate any help.

P.S I learned a lot from many of you here, thanks!
Deepankar

Comments

• I think it is time for me to start learning from a teacher.

ni hao.
    Try writing to or visiting any centres, temples, teachers, monks you can. Ask the same question. By all means do any suggested practice but you do not have to adopt the first teacher that comes along. Keep researching. Never give up.
    You can probably find some monks to hang out with/support somewhere like here . . .
    http://www.redflag.info/daci.htm
    Eh ma ho
    Deepankar
  • I have been to this temple (the place is messed up at the moment as there is a huge construction site next to it) and to many similar places. The thing is that they are extremely crowded and kind of commercialized. It's different with temples located in the mountains, where I go whenever I have a chance. I was thinking about striking up a conversation with a lama, but I still think that some people here might be able to help me.
    Deepankar
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Learn Tibetan, find the popular tea houses, and listen to the gossip. Find out which lama really knows his stuff, and which have scandals brewing about them. Keeping a good ear to the ground is the only way. (That's what the DL recommends.) Are you male, or female, OP? Even highly recommended, very esteemed lamas have harassed their women students. If you're male, then it's not an issue.

Cool that you're in Chengdu! Enjoy your stay. :ok:
    Deepankar
  • I'm a male and the only person who is allowed to harass me is my fiancee. I know martial arts and I will defend myself if necessary, so any lecherous lama will have a hard time. Learning Tibetan is an interesting idea, but it will require years to get to a decent level, so listening to the people gossiping in tea houses is out of question for the time being (Chinese usually do not gossip about choosing an appropriate lama=)).
    Deepankar
  • :) Going to mountain temples, seem ideal. If you want to start a conversation, try offering scarves or food to a local lama . . . what help are you expecting from New Buddhist?
  • pommesetorangespommesetoranges Explorer
    edited January 2013
    I just hope that somebody might connect me with a local lama through his own teacher (anyone?). Other than that New Buddhist offers just the kind of help I am expecting=)

BTW thanks for the idea with the scarf, I had no idea about this tradition.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2013
    The traditional thing is to offer a white silk scarf to the lama. There must be a shop in Chengdu where these are sold. Are there other Westerners around? You could see if any of them could recommend someone. Any teachers in the US or the West would be unlikely to know what lamas are living in Chengdu. You could speak Chinese to the younger Tibetans and ask them if they have any recommendations, as well.
  • I will keep on looking. Thanks for the advice and be well!
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited January 2013
    @pommestoranges Tibet is largely cut off from the world now, and growing darker (comunication-wise) every day. To recommend some kind of link between a Western-based teacher and a Tibet-based teacher would unfortunately be extremely dangerous for the families of both people, as the Party is currently in a paranoid frenzy of sorts, and could use such information as an excuse to persecute citizens. Any contact with the West (for Tibetans) is suspect. One really has to, at this point, think of it rather like the Jewish people during WWII.

I agree with @Dakini that learning some Tibetan is a great way to start, for many reasons. If nothing else, it's a generous gesture towards the people that you can offer in return for the precious dharma they will be sharing (and perhaps risking their lives to share) with you.

You could ask other Chinese students in Chengdu whom they have studied with successfully, as well. I hope you will find a wonderful teacher! Hoping also to visit your beautiful city someday...my family was there long ago, but I have never been.