Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Tecchie question to all my wonderful Tecchie buddies

federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky...Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
edited January 2013 in General Banter
Hopefully, @Brian or @Lincoln are watching....

:D

Ok, here's the thing:
1 computer, 3 profiles.
1 Dongle; provider is a server called 3. They also do mobile phones.
Up to early this morning (09th January 2013), I could access all websites/internet while on, or via my profile.

I use Chrome, But can also use IE 7, I think...

Tried to connect later same morning - Dongle connected, no problem.
Absolutely refused (even though it stated it was connected and ready for use) to upload any single webpage whatsoever. Kept telling me to 'reload the page' or troubleshoot in various ways (lan settings, that kind of thing.)
However:
Connection AND access to the Internet, perfectly possible while on, or via other 2 profiles! (1 is my husband's the other my step-son's.)
Am currently posting from H's profile.
It began the other day when accessing web pages/sites had a box coming up, telling me sky router needs user and password, or I get 404 message, and now, it's simply immediate 'cannot connect to the web page'.

WTF's going on.......???

This is really frustrating...
What could be blocking me on my proifile, that isn't blocking the guys on theirs??

Comments

• You should check for some bit of malware having infected the computer first. The network connections should not change with different users so if one user can access the internet, they all should. So if you log in, no web connection, but if you switch users you have web connection? Using one of the uneffected logins, get a copy of malwarebytes for your computer (free) and run it Just do a google for the malwarebytes.org website. It will clean out a lot of bad junk. Then reboot the computer, try connecting to the web again to some known good website like google, and let us know the result.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Ok, will try that....

Don't think me a complete idiot - but I am a complete idiot....
    Obviously I can't download it on MY profile (no Internet connection!) so if I download it on another profile, it will still do a complete sweep, I take it?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Well... did that.
    Full scan took 1 hour, 17 minutes and 45 seconds.
    nothing detected.
    Big, fat zero.

Cured the problem?
    Big fat 'No'......
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Have you messed with any of your preferences lately? It sounds like you could have accidentally changed something and blocked yourself? Or, perhaps one of the other users did... it's possible if that happened that you would have to edit it through the 'master' user.

Also, about the antivirus thing... what program are you using? I was having a problem when I used to use symantec, which likewise didn't find any issues or viruses when I checked. So, I downloaded Avast! Free Antivirus and it found a crapload of viruses. I'm still with Avast and couldn't be more pleased with its performance.
  • hi federica,
    i showed your post to my son and he told he can sort it out
    he went to work
    if the problem wouldn't be solved after 9 hours (from the time of this post) just send an email to me
    i will forward it to him
    he will do it for you
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    I'm guessing by profile, you mean the setting on your computer which allows different user preferences by separate user accounts rather than a profile with your service provider?

If it's the former, then try logging onto a profile that does connect to the internet - go to system preferences / options menu etc and check all the system settings for internet connection etc - take screen shots or notes - then go to your profile and check the same preferences and see which ones are not the same - it's probably something minor to do with your system settings - by comparing a working profile against yours, you should find the discrepancy.

If it's the latter, then you probably need your service provider to sort it out at their end - they should have a freephone number.

Would recommend having Malwarebytes anti-malware, Avast, Windows defender, spybot search and destroy enabled and fully up to date (all are free from Download.com) - spybot is especially good as from it you can see which programs are booting up on start up and you can easily stop them from booting if they are unnecessary (this will speed up your computer and prevent further against security breaches) - set your internet security settings to medium and make sure that pop ups etc are blocked (ask permission every time) - check your trusted websites list - about once a month use a tool like Ultrawincleaner to clean out the junk and defrag your system (mydefrag is alright).
    Thanks Zero;
    Just spent the last half hour trying all of that.
    No go.

I don't know what the hell it is...... :(
    upekka said:

hi federica,
    i showed your post to my son and he told he can sort it out
    he went to work
    if the problem wouldn't be solved after 9 hours (from the time of this post) just send an email to me
    i will forward it to him
    he will do it for you

Thank you - but I'd rather he give me instructions and I do it.
    It's better that way.

• lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran
    :-/
    Update Chrome if you have not, your browser could have been hijacked by a bit of malware javascript. Your virus protection may not pick this up.
    Get a back up free operating system such as
    puppy linux which you can run 'clean' from DVD or USB keydrive for next time.
  • federica said:

but I'd rather he give me instructions and I do it.
    It's better that way.

of course

but

he needs to give you instructions step by step ,with you in front of your computer and he asks what happen and then he gives the next instruction etc.

i have seen him doing that to his clients when he works at home after hours

he is at work now and would be at home after 3 hours by this time (this post)

anyway, i'll ask him to post his instructions in this thread when he come home after work

hope everything will be ok before that

be cool
    this is not the end of the world

:)
    edited January 2013
    Well - My H shut down the system last night - and he says that before closing down, a message came up that Windows needed to load updates - 13 of them.
    13!

When I turned on the PC this morning, some technical window came up first, scrolled itself and implemented new data (I presume!?) then switched to the normal start-up window, and finished whatever updating it needed to do....

And the problem seems to have sorted itself.

I have noooo idea what was 'wrong' but it appears it was a system program issue, and nothing I did wrong.
    Zero
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    The old shut down and restart - love it! :D
    Well, it had shut down and re-started before, but then of course, I did that malware purge - and although it came back with absolutely zero issues, maybe it prompted an update?
    You know - dig in the ribs to Windows to get up and move after the festive break? :lol:

Yeah, as you can tell, I'm no tecchie - and I've lost the plot - but at least it's all working!
    Zero
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    yuh - I'm a naive have a go hero - thus far have managed to sort problems by googling and following blogs and lots of trial and error... glad you sorted it - you live to blog another day!
  • Huh. Well, you just experienced the typical problem we folks in tech ops encounter, along with the usual result. In troubleshooting, we first make sure it's not something serious like a virus (thus malwarebytes) which can mimic thousands of problems, then check for updates and finally do the old "turn it off and on" to see if it helps. Most of the time, we really don't know what exactly happened. Glad you're back on the air.
    Zero
    Had to post
    http://www.snopes.com/humor/business/wordperfect.asp
    : Possibly the most famous technical support anecdote - and the truth behind it - together with other doofus faux-pas examples.
    Most of which, I am eminently proud to declare, I have never done. :D
  • lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran
    edited January 2013
    IT crowd advice . . .
    http://youtu.be/nn2FB1P_Mn8
  • Why bother, just shut down and meditate without computer....free from gadget or get a handphone...
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    Deepankar said:

Why bother...

Your post sort of answers your question...
    Deepankar
  • Just turn it off and on with tranquil and off to tranquil it :d
    What makes you think this is bothering me unduly?
    I'm fine with it, thanks @Deepankar... It's a shared computer and a glitch needed fixing.
    That's done.
    So don't think I'm making any big deal out of it....
  • OK

if you need help again

go to 'worldpool.com'
    Forums section
    IT section

and ask the question

:)
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    Glad I could help! :p
  • Brian said:

:p:)
    Brian said:

Aw Boss - even when you don't, you do..... ;)

• Glad you satisfied with the help given and also very glorifying that your computer is saved :D