Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is a traveling mind, sensing its surrounding, good for a beginner?

In other words, as I, the beginner–from almost a month now–have been practicing meditation through 15mins sessions. Now, as I concentrate on my breath, "in and out, in and out, trying to avoid the pause between breaths, trying to form a union, a continuous breath", I sometimes wonder in my body. I focus my mind on my hands, and try to feel them–they are motionless. I do the same with my shoulders, feet, brain, or sometimes just feel the vibration of my beating heart.

My question is as follows, are these too many for a single session? Should I concentrate on one element alone? Should I focus one session on breath, the other on the vibrations of my heart and another on the sensations in my hand? Which is a best practice that will lead to progression for a beginner?

Thank You.

Comments

• I would think about my goals in meditation. There is nothing wrong with meditation on the breath or body scans. Have faith to find your way. I hope someone will chance upon this thread with greater knowledge. I don't think it's a question of "how do I progress" because that question takes you away from the present. Worry about what IS there in your meditation rather than trying to make it into something different.
  • Progression towards what?

Are you working towards jhana?

Insight?

Having the home base as the breath and scaning the body and mind usually comes about in a wider awareness and piti or sense of joy. Which in turn can bring more focus, concentration and lead towards jhantic states.

But one can also take the letting go and noting approach. Objectify everything. Thinking, tasting, sensation, coolness, etc. Then let go of that which is objectified. See with the intention and lense of not me, not mine, not i. Drop it all and see what appears. Then drop that. Then drop more and more and more.

This would be practicing both insight and developing concentration. I persoanlly think that seeing how suffering is made and unmade is the point of the dharma. This is very simple but it is the whole path. Examine and create the conditions for this seeing thus you will automatically know what to do to attain nirvana or the ending of construction.

Just some ideas.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    IMHO

There is an impotant difference between the observation of phenomena and directing it.

If one chooses a subject (breathing), to deliberately direct some attentive to in meditation, it's primary purpose is to allow us to stop energizing our own habitual mental formulations so that all other phenomena can be observed arising and passing, un molested.
    Introducing multiple subjects of deliberate thought is really just about our need to control phenomena and avoid the uncomfortableness of the meditation practise, instead of letting it just be what it is.
    lobsterInvincible_summer
  • Well, my goal is concentration, my personality lacks thereof. To be honest, I think my mind drifts into body scanning due to boredom, which indulges in distraction. Yet, focusing solely on breathing is boring to me, hence the drifting.

But I am aware of this challenge. I guess, I should keep at it right?
    Any tips on making breathing more interesting? :P
  • From what I have gathered focusing on the breath is just a means to obtain a calm and focused state of mind, from there you can observe phenomena as they arise or whatever you wish. There are many many forms of meditation, some are not Buddhist related and some do not even require that you sit in silence.

If your mind drifts away then do not put yourself down mentally, simply note that you have been drifting for a while then return back to the breath. It is natural to drift and I am quite certain that everyone has gone through at least one session where they are total drifters.

Meditation takes time and effort, however you should not try to not have a notion of rock solid determination going into a session, but instead find a nice balance of effort and acceptance.

There is a really good book on meditation called 'Mindfulness In Plain English' which is dedicated to Vipassana meditation, it helped me quite a lot and I think it is worth a look-ee-loo.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2013
    These are all just normal ways the average ego says ouch when threatened with a meditative diet program.
    Looking to make your meditative subject more interesting is just resistance to this diet program.
    The real solution to the suffering of bordom is to just completely surrender to it, like it's an chaise lounge on a tropical beach.. but no snoozing.
    You'd be amazed at the freedom it offers.

(sorry, in the middle of planning my summer vacation)

Invincible_summer