Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Input needed on teachers, groups, etc.

I've been exploring Buddhism since the fall, and I feel like it is time for me to start being more serious about practice. I've been doing a lot of reading, started trying to live more in line with Buddhist ethics, and have been experimenting with meditation. But, it's time to move forward. I really feel like finding a sangha would be very helpful in staying focused and motivated, as well as being able to have questions answered. Here lies the difficulty...

I'm interested in both Pure Land and Zen. I've always been very drawn to Pure Land, but I've also really enjoyed and gotten a lot out of the books I've read on Zen. Furthermore, both have been practiced together in China for a long time, so they aren't incompatable -- this is what I would ultimately like to do, combine Zen and Pureland practices. There are no places around here for Pureland, but there are Zen centers. I went to an intro class at a local Zen center that looked promising. However, it turned out not to be a very good fit for me. I appreciated the meditation instruction I got, since it really helped with my posture and having gone, I feel much more confident dropping in at other places. However, we seem to have a fairly fundemental difference in philosophy since this particular center does not in fact consider themselves to be Buddhist, and quite honestly, I felt like the teacher's attitude towards Buddhists and Buddhism as a religion to be well, rather dismissive. It did not make this self proclaimed Buddhist feel very comfortable. There are other Zen centers in my area, but they all seem to be affiliated with this one.

This weekend I'm going to go check out another place that is Buddhist, but multi-denominational -- everybody comes and meditates in their own tradition. If this works out, it could provide a supportive environment, but not a Zen teacher specifically. I know that Zen really stresses the need for a teacher which is what has me stumped. I don't know if I should try practicing with this group and on my own or if I should try something other than Zen. What is more important -- having a teacher, or following the tradition that you are most interested in? There is always a possibility that I could practice on my own and the situation here could change, but there's no guarantee. I might have just dropped Zen altogether in favor of only Pure Land, but learning how to actually sit properly has really inspired me.

Comments

• BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    black_tea said:

... I felt like the teacher's attitude towards Buddhists and Buddhism as a religion to be well, rather dismissive. It did not make this self proclaimed Buddhist feel very comfortable..

That one is eliminated then, unfortunately. The main thing you have to look for in a possible sangha is one you are comfortable in, one that makes you feel welcome and makes you want to come back. If it hasn't got that, it's not for you.
  • Following a teacher is important because they give you a method, encouragement, and dispel fears. The important part of a teacher is that they are ethical enough that they do not do more harm than good. Next I would want one who can answer dharma questions. Sound like this 'zen' (very odd they say this) group does not even recognize themselves as Buddhists, thus I find it hard to believe that they can answer your questions about actual dharma. Still, you never know. Maybe they have the key to greater peace and happiness. Personally I am glad to be part of a whole lineage, but it's the sensibility of the teachings that drew me to my sangha. They focus on my awareness which I find very relevant.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    It's helpful to know what you are seeking when looking for a teacher.

If it's to feel comfortable, then the group you experienced is not for you.

If it is to explore what you have not yet been able to uncover on your own, then consider that the teacher might not be inclined to support an identity (in this case Buddhist) if it is an impediment of attachment that you are presenting to them. This is especially true if others in the congregation are also struggling with this issue. Dismissive or Skillful??? This is a perfect question for a meditative examination..

Some Zen centers do consider a Buddhist identity to just be another aspect of ego that needs to be let go of but if a Zen center doesn't adhere to the Buddhist fundementals (4 NT,8 fld path, dependant origination, precepts) then they should find a more appropriate name to call themselves. It doesn't mean that they are not a valid practise of some kind, just miss labeled.
    Invincible_summerblu3ree
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    @black_tea : You could try to find a Chinese Buddhist sangha. Many practice a combination of Chan + Pure Land. In my experience though, the chanting in English is a bit dry (could just be the temple I attended), but of course the meditation is just as you would expect for a Chan/Zen place.

As for this point:
    I felt like the teacher's attitude towards Buddhists and Buddhism as a religion to be well, rather dismissive. It did not make this self proclaimed Buddhist feel very comfortable. There are other Zen centers in my area, but they all seem to be affiliated with this one.
    I think you have to understand that many Zen teachers feel that, ultimately, Buddhist practice is really just being present and engaged in everyday life. There isn't anything sacred (in the common usage of the word) or incredibly special about zazen or Buddhism. It's simply a practice that, with time, brings out one's True Nature/Buddha Nature. The line of thought goes on (as @how mentioned) to suggest that being attached to what a "Buddhist should be" or what a "Buddhist is" is just externalizing our own assumptions and expectations and judgments. The point is not to be a "good Buddhist," but just to be what is most natural.

That being said, a Chinese Chan + Pure Land sangha may have very different opinions than the one put forward by @how and myself.
    lobster
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2013
    OP, you went to a Zen center that doesn't consider itself Buddhist? What other kind of Zen is there? Are you sure you understood the teacher correctly? If so, I think further explanation is warranted.
    Invincible_summer
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    If there is a Korean zen center nearby, the korean zen tradition is generally a combination of pure land and zen. Thich Nhat-Hanh Vietnamese style also combines the two.
  • Thanks for your responses, guys. Let me give you some more background in case you are curious:

I get what some of you are saying about identity and ego -- if it had been presented in that way, I would have had no issue with it. That did not seem to be what was going on. What was flat out said was that the Buddha did not intend for people to make him a god (I don't know of any form of Buddhism that says the Buddha is a god, so a misunderstanding on his part???) nor make what he taught into a religion. But people made it into a world religion and created in and out groups etc (basically behaved like humans). The tone was pretty condenscending, and that was what made me uncomfortable. Also mentioned that people contact them asking about Buddhism because they assume the center is Buddhist, so they have to go try and find someone who is Buddhist to talk to them.

No mention was made of the 4NT, 8FP, or precepts. I do know that you can take precepts there, because there was a schedule from a weekend retreat on the wall that included that ceremony. Someone asked what the rakusa was that he was wearing and he answered rather vaguely that it signified making a greater committment. No further explanation given. They didn't used to use any Buddhist iconography or things like rakusa, but began doing so again out of respect for their lineage (which happens to be Korean), though they are now their own school doing their own thing. The entire 3 hour class was given over to instruction on seated mediation (getting to try out different postures and cushions under some guidence was very helpful), a brief overview of Siddartha's life and attempting to put distance between the center and Buddhism. In doing so, he (inadvertantly, I hope) made actual Buddhists seem rather silly.

What it seemed to me was that they are trying to create a form of Western Zen that is largely divorced from the framework of Buddhism. It's the kind of thing I'm sure some people can get a lot out of (meditation is good for you, after all), but it's not what I'm looking for and like how suggested, misslabeled.

There are other Zen centers within driving distance, but they are all affiliated with this one and list the same guy as their teacher. Ironically there is actually a center that practices a mix of Zen and Pureland, but... it is at the complete other end of the state -- definitely not within driving distance. So yeah, that's my dilemma.
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    Sounds pretty normal to me, for a modern westerner-aimed Zen group.
    Maybe you're aiming too high. Lower your expectations.
  • @black_tea, sometimes the the 4NT and 8fold are taught without naming them as such in a list or whatever. For example a Zen center might show how the mind concocts things via on the cushion meditation where you see exactly what your mind is doing. This touches a large part of Buddhism.
  • black_tea said:

I've been exploring Buddhism since the fall, and I feel like it is time for me to start being more serious about practice. I've been doing a lot of reading, started trying to live more in line with Buddhist ethics, and have been experimenting with meditation. But, it's time to move forward. I really feel like finding a sangha would be very helpful in staying focused and motivated, as well as being able to have questions answered. Here lies the difficulty...

I'm interested in both Pure Land and Zen. I've always been very drawn to Pure Land, but I've also really enjoyed and gotten a lot out of the books I've read on Zen. Furthermore, both have been practiced together in China for a long time, so they aren't incompatable -- this is what I would ultimately like to do, combine Zen and Pureland practices. There are no places around here for Pureland, but there are Zen centers. I went to an intro class at a local Zen center that looked promising. However, it turned out not to be a very good fit for me. I appreciated the meditation instruction I got, since it really helped with my posture and having gone, I feel much more confident dropping in at other places. However, we seem to have a fairly fundemental difference in philosophy since this particular center does not in fact consider themselves to be Buddhist, and quite honestly, I felt like the teacher's attitude towards Buddhists and Buddhism as a religion to be well, rather dismissive. It did not make this self proclaimed Buddhist feel very comfortable. There are other Zen centers in my area, but they all seem to be affiliated with this one.

This weekend I'm going to go check out another place that is Buddhist, but multi-denominational -- everybody comes and meditates in their own tradition. If this works out, it could provide a supportive environment, but not a Zen teacher specifically. I know that Zen really stresses the need for a teacher which is what has me stumped. I don't know if I should try practicing with this group and on my own or if I should try something other than Zen. What is more important -- having a teacher, or following the tradition that you are most interested in? There is always a possibility that I could practice on my own and the situation here could change, but there's no guarantee. I might have just dropped Zen altogether in favor of only Pure Land, but learning how to actually sit properly has really inspired me.

It sounds like shopping here. When shopping, sometimes, I'd buy a pant here and a shirt there. Not all the shopping malls have the things I like. Same thing with temples. Most of the time, it is the people in it which make the temple. Often, we disagree with some of the things there but I probably would not mind if the temple has a little bright spot there that could enlighten my life. Probably I'd adapt and take what I like and drop what I don't like without imposing my values on others. Otherwise, another thing I could do, is to be part of the committee and be part of the team who would bring positive changes. Mm...mm that probably is quite a task. I think then I stick to staying home and reading the sutras.
  • Isn't Tao zen also? Although they may be a branch off the buhddist tree not intirely sure?!?! Please someone correct me
    lobster
  • Isn't Tao zen also?
    No, they were often in opposition. Taoism is concerned with other principles, not derived from Buddhism. Ultimately Taoism influenced Chan/Zen in China. In its pure form it is highly mystical but also has ridiculous magical practices, as does some Buddhist conjurations. I find many Buddhists gain from Taoist arts, such as their internal martial arts - so some Buddhist centres teach Tai Chi rather than the Shaolin Buddhist systems.
    :wave:
    blu3ree
  • @black_tea Sounds a great centre to me. You may require something else but do not be dismissive of their efforts which may get you to the far shore quicker than a more 'correct' centre (whatever that is) . . . :wave:
  • Ahh thanks for clearing this up for me.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    lobster said:

Isn't Tao zen also?
    No, they were often in opposition. Taoism is concerned with other principles, not derived from Buddhism. Ultimately Taoism influenced Chan/Zen in China. In its pure form it is highly mystical but also has ridiculous magical practices, as does some Buddhist conjurations. I find many Buddhists gain from Taoist arts, such as their internal martial arts - so some Buddhist centres teach Tai Chi rather than the Shaolin Buddhist systems.
    :wave:

Philosophical Taoism (writings of Laozi and Zhuangzi) is very congruous with Chan/Zen Buddhism, but the religious branch of Taoism is indeed different. Adherents to religious Taoism claim that doing certain rituals and living a certain way will give them immortality. They're also polytheistic, I believe.

lobster
  • <
    lobster said:

@black_tea Sounds a great centre to me. You may require something else but do not be dismissive of their efforts which may get you to the far shore quicker than a more 'correct' centre (whatever that is) . . . :wave:

Well 'correct' is a somewhat relative term. Others do clearly get something out of it, and that's great that they have a place that they find helpful. I am sure there is more to them than the little I saw. However, having visited, I am quite confident that it is not a place I want to stay, and I have found a better (for me) alternative so it seems to have worked out ok. I don't mean to dismiss them out of hand, but I do feel that a little critique of the way they presented themselves was valid.
    lobster
  • I don't mean to dismiss them out of hand, but I do feel that a little critique of the way they presented themselves was valid.
    Of course it is valid. By all means we try and find what resonates. One day you may return after practicing and changing and feel differently. What you are doing is integrating with what resonates as authentic and valid. That is the right thing for each of us. FInd and trust our path . . . :clap:
    black_tea
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    I think a GOOD teacher is far more important than whatever tradition or school you choose to follow. All traditions lead to the same place.
    But a qualified, skilled teacher ... is a huge advantage.
    You observe how they react when someone stands up in a public lecture and tells them they are full of s***.
    You observe how they behave when they are very ill but there is a duty to fulfill.
    You observe how they attend to the needs of others, no matter how small.
    You observe how they accept us, flaws and all ... never feeling they need to correct us.
    You observe how, when a student disagrees with something the teacher is teaching, the teaching gently says "You might be right", or "I'll have to think about that".
    You observe how they are thoroughly and in all circumstances humble and non-confrontatious.

It is said that a picture is worth a thousand words.
    If that is so, then a living example is worth a million words.
    You will grasp and understand things, on an experiential level, that no book can teach you.

And because even the most skillful of teachers is not-yet-enlightened, they slip up and show flaws occasionally (twice in 12 years for my own teacher) .. so there again they teach you. They teach you to be tolerant and compassionate and understanding, and not be rigid.
    Invincible_summer
  • @FoibleFull i do agree with you there. Buddha gave 84,000 ways to suit the 84,000 different types of minds and each way is just as good as the other as it brings us to the ultimate goal of enlightenment. Just because a car looks different, goes at different speeds, has a different color and make doesn't mean it won't get you from A to B.

What is crucial is a qualified teacher. There are so many people who find a teacher and rush in where angels fear to tread, only to find out later that the teacher is not suitable.

There are guidelines to a good teacher - it is good to check out the lineage of the teacher - who was his teacher? what is the lineage? Is it authentic, or did this person decide to make up his own school of thought. Not that that is necessarily wrong, but it may be something to consider. What tradition is he in - this is not to say one is better than the other but if you see what tradition it is, you know the emphasis of the particular school and background.

This book called "Gurus For Hire, Enlightenment for Sale" is an excellent guide to what is a Guru and why do you need one. It also raises controversial points like politics of dharma centres and appropriate behavior for volunteers in dharma centres. A super read!

http://vajrasecrets.com/books/english-books/gurus-for-hire-enlightenment-for-sale.html
    or on amazon.com
    http://www.amazon.com/Gurus-Hire-Enlightenment-Tulku-Rinpoche/dp/9834339984
    lanieFoibleFull
  • I myself have never followed one teacher or school or tradition of Buddhism. I have tried to study and apply the teachings. I feel that I have developed insight, wisdom and compassion. I feel that I have experienced growth. I feel that my practice and it's fruits have been strong and joyful. I have looked more at the writings and teachings of Therevadan Buddhist teachers such as Ajahn Sumedho, Ajahn Chah and Bhikkhu Boddhi. I have felt put off by those who live in grandiose temples or wear fine robes or talk of themselves as being enlightened or great teachers. I have also been put off by teachers who have great throngs following them or speaking highly about them. This has just been my way. This has just been my approach. All teachers are trapped in this bodily state. We are all limited to some extent. I think there is nothing unskillful about seeking out one teacher, school or tradition to follow and learn with and from. I think problems may arise if we get too attached to one teacher, school or tradition. Sometimes the greatest teacher or teaching experience can be a man digging through the garbage, a child, our wife, our suffering and our own ongoing honest and sincere effort. Maybe we should not be too quick to give ourselves over to a teacher. Maybe we should look at and trust ourselves more.......
    chela