Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Good karma within society

blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
edited February 2013 in General Banter
Often I feel completely lost when trying to find a job that isn't gunna end up stabbing me in the back. There's so many jobs that have negative sides to them. I'm looking for the one where I can tread a path making enough money to get by and also have little negative effects on the earth. I've considered pursuing an Ayurvedic degree but don't exactly know what would be needed to secure a job in that field. Don't want to go to a 45k$ college and get stuck with a huge debt then not have a job I trained for to pay it off. In a sense I'm asking for help with a future career things I find interesting are ecology, space, Ayurvedic medicines/holistic, and farming. also some other jobs I could do without having some prior knowledge. If anyone knows good colleges/trade schools/internships I would really appreciate it.

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Can I assume you are in the USA?
  • Yes in Michigan to be more precise
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Ok. Sorry - I probably can't help then. Best of luck!!
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran

Well, one way to get your feet wet is to look for continuing education courses. Intro courses abound online, but go through a 4 year college's continuing ed department for some online courses you can take to intro yourself to stuff while gaining knowledge.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    blu3ree said:

Often I feel completely lost when trying to find a job that isn't gunna end up stabbing me in the back. There's so many jobs that have negative sides to them. I'm looking for the one where I can tread a path making enough money to get by and also have little negative effects on the earth. I've considered pursuing an Ayurvedic degree but don't exactly know what would be needed to secure a job in that field. Don't want to go to a 45k$ college and get stuck with a huge debt then not have a job I trained for to pay it off. In a sense I'm asking for help with a future career things I find interesting are ecology, space, Ayurvedic medicines/holistic, and farming. also some other jobs I could do without having some prior knowledge. If anyone knows good colleges/trade schools/internships I would really appreciate it.

I know exactly where you're coming from... and honestly sometimes I feel like "a job is a job." The more you keep searching for that "perfect career," the more elusive it seems to become. You want a job that has good hours, fits your ethics, and pays decently; Job A sounds good, but once you start talking to people/reading more, you find something wrong with it. Okay, onto B. B sounds really good, and you start working in the field... only to realize that even though you're supposed to be helping people, business matters always trump ethics and you feel uncomfortable. What about Job C... etc etc.

Building up expectations, ideals, etc, only to find problems down the road and becoming frustrated.

Sounds familiar?

It's fine to try and find an occupation that you enjoy, but I think it's important to try and drop any illusions about the "perfect job" that meets all your requirements.

Just as a side note, in my own search I've found that health care and social service work seem to be the most in line with my desire to help others and not be wheeling and dealing. I'm starting to work my way towards a diploma as an occupational therapy/rehabilitation assistant. Perhaps you could look into that direction? I've heard that jobs in the private sector of health care (esp long-term care facilities) are going to be growing due to the aging population. Pay may not be the best, but you have to make compromises sometimes.
  • There are Ayurvedic practitioners here in the SW, and I think there's a holistic medicine clinic were one or two practice. But as an alternative med practitioner, you'd be working as an independent contractor, meaning you'd have to build a practice from scratch. You'd have to advertise and hustle for clients, while spending hundreds annually to take Continuing Education classes, pay state licensing fees (varies from state to state), insurance fees, and so forth. It would be a big risk in this economy.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited February 2013
    @Invincible_summer, the problem with health care, most particularly rehabilitation/therapy is the horrendous overcharging they do. Believe me, that kept me from going down that path, although the work would certainly not have been bad. In comparison, my job in geriatrics is tantamount to hard labor; but at least I don't feel like a vulture.
    Invincible_summer
  • blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Also while in high school I was in a trade school called OTC for an engineering course/green technologies. I really enjoy wind turbines and hydroelectric. But as the government doesn't provide much funding towards the middle class I find it hard to jump into a hole of debt that is why I have been putting off going to college. More or less I just want to get trained in the field through an internship.

As for the rehab assist do you know how much college would be? As I said we are middle class somehow my father supports 4 people only one who works and makes less than like 65k yr. Wish there was more help for people in the middle class. :(
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited February 2013
    do you see a niche market ? you could be an entrepreneur and start your own business like many of us have. There are many small business loans out there now. Look at the people who never even finished high school but who are successful, like Bill Gates.

No one ever rose out of getting a lot of help.. our ancestors who came to the country pulled themselves up by their own boot straps and carved out a life for themselves :). You can do it.
  • Well I'd like to start an energy company building water mills along fast moving rivers to provide energy but I'd have to have proper certifications. This obviously would be way more ecologically friendly than having a dam or a nuclear plant. And it would most likely be cheaper than wind turbines. a downside is it would be tricky to get a good amount of power from them but on the bright side unless the river dried up it's a never ending source of power that requires minimal maintenance. I think I'm going to reapply to Miat for their energy program. Does anyone know anyone who's graduated from Michigan institute of aviation technology? I've been on a tour of their campus before and the counselor said their isn't a guarantee I'd get a job in the field I studied so i was a little disinclined to go to school their. Any information is welcomed about Miat.