Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Praise to all who teach us!

SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
edited August 2006 in Buddhism Basics
In the past couple of days, we have been offered much teaching on the subject of the "soul" in Buddhist thought. Within this instruction are, also, many comments regarding quite fundamental understandings of the Dharma. All those who come to bring us teachings and news are welcome and worthy of praise.

That does not, however, mean that we have to believe them, pay much attention to them or listen to them when we deem that what they are peddling is not of value to us.

In all humility, I would offer a little advice on the teaching method. You are more likely to engage this audience if you refrain from disrespect or personal attacks. I cannot speak for other groups but, here, you could do us the courtesy of discovering that we learn best when we are offered different interpretations undogmatically. We may be called "New Buddhist" but some of us are pretty long in such teeth as we have left! Browbeating turns this audience off. Unless that is your aim (and I am not in any position to say whether it is or not) and assuming that you want us to learn something from your research, teach, don't preach.

And perhaps you would like to note that attacks on a beloved teacher such as Gautama are pretty counter-productive, too.

Comments

• buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited August 2006
    True dat.

I don't believe it's a good idea to blatantly shut out those who have opinions different from own own. Gotama's teachings were different from much of what was being taught at the time - as with Christ.

I think reviewing many different thoughts and teachings are what allows you to come to terms with and accept the Truth - whatever truth that may be.

-bf
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited August 2006
    Hear, hear! :rockon:
  • edited August 2006
    Well said, Simon!

Adiana:usflag: :thumbsup:
  • edited August 2006
    I agree.......Well said, Simon,

We can learn from everyone. If we don't agree then fine but we can still learn.

Tolerance if nothing else.
  • edited August 2006
    we tend to learn tolerance when someone is so adiment about their
    beliefs.
  • edited August 2006
    I agree.......Well said, Simon,

We can learn from everyone. If we don't agree then fine but we can still learn.

Tolerance if nothing else.

with the greatest of respect,what is it you think it is that you have to learn ?

tolerance ?...how long will you tolerate killing ? suffering ? hunger ? disease ?
    mans inhumanity to man ?...how long do you intend to tolerate this ?

as I say,no disrespect intended to anyone.

metta
  • edited August 2006
    My post was in reference to:

"Tolerance" of others opinions and bad behavor on the board.

I apologies for speaking in general.
    edited August 2006
    I know that tolerance has gotten a bad rap on this board because it seems to always imply that "we are tolerating someone elses differences or actions."

But isn't tolerance sometimes based upon our own inability to see things as they truly are? We tolerate people doing things that we don't like - but is that tolerance always "their" shortcoming... or sometimes our own shortcomings?

What if I tolerated something until, through seeking the truth and evaluating myself, I find that my own perceptions have changed and now I'm not really tolerating anything anymore? Just accepting it?

Tolerance can be a good thing. It can teach us to view our own perceptions, biases, preconceived notions and ... possibly... continue to grow.

-bf
  • edited August 2006
    I totally agree BF

My reference to "bad behavior" was about ppl calling other ppl names. I think it is possible to get our opinions across with out name calling and attacking anothers opinion.
    edited August 2006
    Oh... I totally agree, itd...

I don't think name calling or verbal attacks have any place on these boards.

-bf
  • edited August 2006
    Hi Inthedharma
    no apology required my friend.I was simply expanding the conversation on your comments.It was not a criticism of your view.

Buddhafoot ! yes
    you hit the nail on the head.
    tolerance can indeed be a good thing,but let us be mindful of our own faults rather that too much concern for others apparent faults.
    "it is not my concern what others do or do not do,it is my concern what i do or do not do"
    (Buddha)

probably like most here,im concerned about mans inhumanity to man.
    i dont tolerate this..but thats my problem.

well wishes to all
    edited August 2006
    shuggie wrote:

probably like most here,im concerned about mans inhumanity to man.
    i dont tolerate this..but thats my problem.

well wishes to all

Good point.

I didn't mean to imply that we should tolerate ALL things. I think that with just about anything, the simple teachings the Buddha gave the Kalamas could be used to teach us what we should or should not do.
    Come, Kalamas. Do not go upon what has been acquired by repeated hearing; nor upon tradition; nor upon rumor; nor upon what is in a scripture; nor upon surmise; nor upon an axiom; nor upon specious reasoning; nor upon a bias towards a notion that has been pondered over; nor upon another's seeming ability; nor upon the consideration, 'The monk is our teacher.' Kalamas, when you yourselves know: 'These things are good; these things are not blamable; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to benefit and happiness,' enter on and abide in them

-bf
  • edited August 2006
    hi bf
    "I don't think name calling or verbal attacks have any place on these boards"

totally agree..(and should not be tolerated) (lol)
    its just plain childish and "offenders" should be advised as such.

childlike is fine..childish is not so fine.
    metta
  • edited August 2006
    and while im ranting on (lol) what was we arguing..i mean discussing..ah,souls !

i was following a rather heated argument on another board some time ago and this rather wise witty young lady interjected with:- "geeez ! you guys even argue about things you agree on !"
  • edited August 2006
    I think some ppl just love to debate and argue. I married into one of those families....lol They love nothing better. I call it arguing..... they call it debating and great fun.....They will debate anything and yes...even things they agree on.
  • edited August 2006
    In order to tolerate the failings in others, we must first tolerate the failings in ourselves. I've learned a lot from this site (and still learning) so a big Thanks to everyone who's taken the time to teach me. :rockon:
  • edited August 2006
    When does tolerance cease being right action?

When I took up the way I didn't give up the right to speak up when I see someone being wronged just for the sake of keeping the peace.
  • edited August 2006
    I don't think anyone should give up the right to speak up when they see someone being wronged. It's not the speaking up.......it's how you speak up..... opinions and points can be gotten across without anger and ugly words.
  • edited August 2006
    Exactly, for me it was very difficult to put right practice in it's proper perscetive. I let alot slide in the name of tolerance which was a mistake.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2006
    Tolerance, like anything else, is worse than useless without wisdom. Right Everything depends upon wisdom because the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

We have been warned by wise people like HHDL, and many others, to look clearly and carefully at those who would teach us because those wise ones know that there are many people out there who are not qualified to be teachers of the buddhadharma. We have to be careful and discerning about who and what we allow into our minds and hearts.
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited August 2006
    For me, when two opinions mutually untolerable clash, there are two ways to go about doing it.

One, you can quarrel, calling names and screaming your point out, while damaging all kinds of interdependent ties you have with the other person. Or two, you can argue properly, being objective and cool when you do so, while the ties of both remain largely intact, or even fortified.

Tolerance is something that should be used if you ever find yourself caught up in a choice to prefer quarrelling to argument. If your opinions clash, tolerate it so that you may argue instead of quarrel.

However, when things on a macro-level break out, such as international conflict, planned genocide etc. etc., I fear that there may be no room for argument as emotions tend to build up rapidly due to many causes (some short-term, some long-term), making it impossible at times to tolerate certain acts, as is the way we are conditioned to not tolerate, based on human concepts such as freedom, justice, peace, equality, pride,loyalty etc. etc. Of course, one may choose to ignore all these, and say that Life is complicated - but I would tend to disagree. Life is ADVANCED from where it was, and it is only natural that it simply gets more complicated, but whenever it seems so, always look back to where we came from. In schools, children from a young age are educated on History for a reason - which, unfortunately I must say, the adults themselves may not seem to have benefited more than the children from the syllabuses.

Something closer to our heads. In WWII (Please correct me if I am wrong anywhere!) , the League of Nations, a disaster from the start, demanded all its member nations to disarm towards a more "peaceful existence". Neville Chamberlain did the fatal mistake of adopting the policy of appeasement, allowing Hilter to get more ambitious as he literally walked into lands he should never have been allowed into. This very quickly had disastrous effects on the Semitic peoples of those fallen lands, and of course, the Holocaust, though introduced later in the theatre, had long-lasting effects that I believe no politician would forget for at least a century. Was such tolerance good?

I personally believe that if the League of Nations had been more practical than idealistic, and that all forms of tolerance then had been kept in proper check, then perhaps the Holocaust would not have happened at all.

So when do we judge that we cannot tolerate anymore, and lash out at the enemy under influence of human emotions and ideals?

Maybe it is safer for us, to follow human morals in judging, even though we may not agree with them at times. Of course, the "morals" I refer to are for more holistic ideals, not something as childishly senseless as anti-homosexuality and such. :rockon:

Anyway... As recommended by twobitbob, does anyone here think that, like Christianity, Buddhists should also try to instil the apologia spirit in them, to be able to stand up and defend their beliefs at any point of time? In accordance to Buddhist teachings, I believe that the perfect Buddhist apologist should only defend Buddhism and ensure that he does not attack the faith of the other, while not including the spreading of our teachings unnecessarily outside argumen,t to show our tolerance :p towards other faiths. Any thoughts? :rockon: