Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Faith in your Mind?

As someone who has been to hell and back (in my spare time)
I know the importance of mental health and the importance of
keeping crazy enough to maintain well being . . .
Some of us who are one thing or another, assume that 'we' but not 'they' are independent of brain chemistry or other factors effecting our position, attitude and thoughts . . .
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2865009.stm

Is anybody running the perfect mind?

Comments

• Here's something more recent about the brain chemistry of spirituality.
    Now, University of Missouri researchers have completed research that indicates spirituality is a complex phenomenon, and multiple areas of the brain are responsible for the many aspects of spiritual experiences. Based on a previously published study that indicated spiritual transcendence is associated with decreased right parietal lobe functioning, MU researchers replicated their findings.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/04/120419091223.htm
    lobster
  • One other notable limitation not cited is the right hand bias (19:1).

BBC news quote was the best of all:
    "St Paul and Moses appear to be two of the most likely candidates."

"We have found a neuropsychological basis for spirituality, but it's not isolated to one specific area of the brain," said Brick Johnstone, professor of health psychology in the School of Health Professions. "Spirituality is a much more dynamic concept that uses many parts of the brain. Certain parts of the brain play more predominant roles, but they all work together to facilitate individuals' spiritual experiences."

Journal impact 1.6 - subset of Psychology Multidisciplinary.

Attached study.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10508619.2012.657524

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    Fascinating. I bet I have that... lol... and not just because I'm a hypochondriac... (maybe)
    It would explain a lot though. Especially since once upon a time I did have a religious experience that saved my life... and yet later... became an atheist/agnostic... but despite that, there are still certain Christian songs that when I hear them, I can't help but cry and it's very odd indeed. I've always chalked it up to memory at the inner turmoil surrounding the time when I was going to church and used to listen to that sort of music. I think anyone convinced they are going to Hell and contemplating suicide would probably have a lot of emotion when they end up in a church that really makes them believe that God loves them and that they are perfect as they are. (The religious experience was the precursor, however.) That's what those songs remind me of... so it could be either, I suppose.

Still, very interesting. But regardless, I don't need the idea of God anymore. I could potentially be wired like that, but I'm also apparently wired as a skeptical anal retentive cynic. Haha.
    lobster