Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

First 2 books purchased

I went to my local bookstore and the only 2 books they had which I brought are the following:

Buddhism for dummies

And

Becoming Enlightened

I purchased Buddhism for dummies as my Buddhism path started 2 days ago when I finally had enough of my anger and hatred towards humans (not animals or the environment) dictating my thoughts and mind, thus making me a slave to negativity. I brought "Becoming Enlightened" by HHDL because he is the person I strive to be (not literally) but in the sense that he is one of the most humble, compassionate people I have ever heard speak. (I listened to one of his lectures 3 days ago and became somewhat lost in in his words)

Are these a good start?
lobster

Comments

• You have to start somewhere. I don't think you can go wrong with HHDL, and Buddhism For Dummies sounds like a good way to get an introduction to the basics. Hopefully, it's accurate in its explanations.

You could do a book review for us in the Arts & Writings section, when you're through with Buddhism For Dummies. It could be helpful to others.
  • Great start.

I am only half human . . . And even then of dubious parentage . . . So you can practice semi kindness towards me or our fellow chimps.

Compassion towards the beastly human species comes from learning the nature and source of our hatred. If you can start to understand humanity as a mad monkey, a sick chimp chump and our own hatred as something to have patience and compassion for . . . There is hope for all of us . . .

Being kind to ourselves is a good start. Good reading and good luck :wave:
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Dakini said:

You have to start somewhere. I don't think you can go wrong with HHDL, and Buddhism For Dummies sounds like a good way to get an introduction to the basics. Hopefully, it's accurate in its explanations.

You could do a book review for us in the Arts & Writings section, when you're through with Buddhism For Dummies. It could be helpful to others.

You have to start somewhere, like Dakini mentioned up above me. You can also check out http://www.buddhanet.net ;) Plenty of Buddhist Ebooks there!!
    BunksLucy_Begood
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    LeonBasin said:

You have to start somewhere, like Dakini mentioned up above me. You can also check out http://www.buddhanet.net ;) Plenty of Buddhist Ebooks there!!

Google search for free Buddhist/Buddhism books and you will find many ebooks and paper books available. In fact, search through this site and you'll find several threads on this subject.
  • The first book I read was Peace is Every Step by Thich Nhat Hanh. It's very simple and straight-forward and provides simple tools that are easy to incorporate into daily life. I found it immensely helpful with lowering my anxiety and anger issues, which I started doing about halfway through the book. I can say that it actually changed my life, because it's what propelled me into Buddhism.

Also, if you are in the US, check out your local library for books. You can go online and look up "buddhism" and "buddhist" as the key word in their holdings. And don't forget that their are lots of DVDs out there, as well (and some at your library for free). I just watched The Buddha- amazing film.