Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

sick of meditating

seansean Explorer
edited March 2013 in Meditation
not really but i am sick and i am meditating lol .tonight while i was sitting (my nose was no longer stopped up thanx to the meds i finally got but my throat still hurts like crazy)i found it quite nice. every breath i took in hurt and i was kind of just zoned in. has anyone else had a experience of sick meditation.

Comments

• ToshTosh Veteran
    When I'm ill, I don't even try. I'm not tough enough yet. Respect to you.
  • yeah I am a woos too. Mindful suffering is bad enough without having to be ill too . . .
    Well done on managing to sit.
  • seansean Explorer
    you should really try it lol. the hard part was when my nose wasn't working. i fill bad for people with chronic pain who do this props to them.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    Yes I meditate when I'm sick. It's hard often for me to follow the breath naturally while not sick, while sick it's near impossible if my nose is stuffed up, but I just observe all phenomenon and any feelings and emotions that arise.

I also attempt to stay positive and as Ajahn Brahm said about Ajahn Chah when he was sick to " be with" the sickness, not to push it away.
  • I tried it once some time ago when I had a cold/flu (I don't often get sick). It was difficult, but it was zazen nevertheless!

But I do have sciatica which sometimes flares up. I've since switched to a seiza bench which helps it from exacerbating things-- in fact it feels not too bad sitting that way when my lower back is acting up.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I end up doing it often, as I have chronic allergies. Sometimes even medications don't help and I end up having to try to meditate with tissue shoved up my nose to stop the faucet (sorry for the TMI, lol). It's always a challenge for me, but I've adjusted to it alright. I have adenoid problems and frequently cannot breathe through my nose correctly. I often find that meditating actually helps my allergies.

But in the case of stomach illness, I don't even try. I wanted to be able to meditate following my surgery but I was so ill feeling and fuzzy headed from the anesthesia and later the pain meds that it was pointless.
    BhikkhuJayasara
  • chelachela Veteran
    The last time I was sick, I didn't even try to meditate. I didn't think that I would get anything out of meditating with a headache and sinus pressure except a worse attitude than I already had. It was hard enough just to be halfway mindful for that week to accept being sick. Looks like I have quite a ways to go!