Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Egolessness

Wisdom23Wisdom23 Veteran
edited March 2013 in Buddhism Today
I am starting to become aware of the inpact my ego is having. I am aware of egolessness, i was just wondering how my fellow online sangha peeps practised this. Is this another thing that is accomplished through meditation.

Many Thanks
lobster

Comments

• GlowGlow Veteran
    Jason posted this article a little while back that I found pretty helpful: The Problem of Egolessness by Thanissaro Bhikkhu
    Wisdom23Invincible_summerlobsterchela
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    My interpretation of the ego is that it iscaused by self cherishing, we grasp the belief that there is an inherently existent "I" and cherish it, we put ourself before others and consider our "I" to be more important than others for example we think "I want this" "What I need is more important" this causes us to perform many wrong actions which causes us many problems and much suffering, through various practices in meditation we can learn to cherish others instead of our own and release that there is no inherently existent I thus destroying the ego.
    Wisdom23
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    @Glow & @Jason: Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!
    Glow said:

Jason posted this article a little while back that I found pretty helpful: The Problem of Egolessness by Thanissaro Bhikkhu

• It's like when you realize you are dreaming and your worries lift because you know that it is just a dream. So maybe your are being chased or whatever, but you know they cannot hurt you and it is not real. So to when you wake up to the fact that you are none of the conditional things you realize that even death cannot hurt you.
    Invincible_summerWisdom23pegembara
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited March 2013
    Wisdom23 said:

I am starting to become aware of the inpact my ego is having. I am aware of egolessness, i was just wondering how my fellow online sangha peeps practised this. Is this another thing that is accomplished through meditation.

Many Thanks

Personally, I find the act of bowing/prostrating (with right effort and intent!) is very beneficial for lessening the ego.

And I do think that a regular meditation practice would help, as you learn to see that what constitutes "you" (i.e. your ego) is just a bunch of stuff that arises and passes away. Nothing permanent about it, nothing really worth clinging hard to.

Metta practice would be good too.