Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Palms together, touching forehead?

My sangha is non-sectarian and I have noticed a few people who, when it is time to put palms together and bow, they touch their forehead (with palms together) before placing palms at their chest (and then bowing). It is rather graceful looking, but I do not know what this means. Can anyone elaborate?

Comments

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    We do this in Theravada when we bow to the triple gem. I've tried to ascertain if there is a specific meaning for that ( for instance in Christianity you use head, mouth heart when you do little signs of the cross during mass) but no one has ever produced one.

I'd be interested in hearing if there is an explanation as well.
    chela
  • lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran
    They are bowing with mind and heart.
    chelariverflow
  • chelachela Veteran
    @Jayantha, you're right- I've noticed it more in the beginning, when we are about to take refuge. @lobster- that sounds like a good explanation, and a lovely one.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited March 2013
    The gesture itself is essentially a show of reverence or respect. In Thailand, for example, this gesture (often called wai) is used to greet other people, when speaking to a monastic, after offering something from a monastic, before receiving something from a monastic, at certain times during various chants (refuge chant, homage to the Triple Gem, etc.).
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Jason said:

The gesture itself is essentially a show of reverence or respect. In Thailand, for example, this gesture (often called wai) is used to greet other people, when speaking to a monastic, after offering something from a monastic, before receiving something from a monastic, at certain times during various chants (refuge chant, homage to the Triple Gem, etc.).

Yes, exactly. In fact, in Thailand the gesture is at a level (elevation) that varies with the level of respect. For example, to the King or a monk it may be forehead high. As a principal (or with governmental officials), I would often receive a wai at nose level. In greeting an everyday person it might be chest high. It can get kinda complicated.

chela
  • It's also done in Tibetan Buddhism during a prostration. You put steepled hands to forehead, throat, and heart and then put your hands to the ground and then stretch out so your body is totally prone on the ground.

The forehead is to signify the body, the throat signifies the speech, and the heart signifies the mind. I thought it is interesting the switch of heart and mind from what we in the west would intuit.
    chela
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Also done in Thailand, and almost certainly due to Indianization.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    A video on Thai-style prostration:
    JeffreyriverflowchelaBhikkhuJayasara
  • chelachela Veteran
    @Invincible_summer thanks for the video- that was really interesting. I'm actually thinking of incorporating some of that into my daily practice, but I don't have a lot of time for my meditation as it is, so I might do a condensed version, maybe without doing each arm separately (although I understand that will not give the full effect). Hmmm....
  • chela said:

...I might do a condensed version, maybe without doing each arm separately (although I understand that will not give the full effect). Hmmm....

Judging from the video, the placement of one hand and then the next could (?) also provide some needed back support! (speaking as someone who has lower back issues)
    chela