Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I knew it!

Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal DhammaWe(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
edited March 2013 in General Banter
It seems that Buddhists are a step ahead of the game:

"One strategy particularly struck me: if you’re feeling a negative emotion, you can work to reduce it by labeling it in one or two words. Note, however, that thinking or talking at length about the emotional state tends to intensify it — while simply observing and labeling it helps to quell it."

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-happiness-project/201303/want-simple-way-calm-yourself

I'm glad that meditation techniques are being more widely applied, but I sort of wish credit was given where it's due.

What do you think of the "secularization" of meditation, as also found in Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction and the like?
Wisdom23

Comments

• Means to an end (of suffering)
  • ToshTosh Veteran

What do you think of the "secularization" of meditation, as also found in Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction and the like?

I think it's a good thing. There's nothing religious about mindfulness so it doesn't need to be purely taught in a religious context which may block people who could benefit, from even trying it.

DandelionLucy_Begood
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    It cant be a bad thing..as long as we remember that therapy cannot in itself lead to Enlightenment. Its not its job.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    If it was tied to a particular religion there are many people who wouldn't want anything to do with it.