Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Invisible Children

edited August 2006 in Sanghas
(I don’t know if I’m in the right place for posting this, so I apologize if I’m not.)

I don’t mean to depress anyone, but in the spirit of spreading awareness of suffering, I’m telling you all about a humanitarian crisis taking place in Northern Uganda, where children as young as eight are being kidnapped nightly from their homes and forced to fight as soldiers in a war that has been raging for twenty years. Out of fear of being abducted, tens of thousands of children living in remote villages travel great distances each night to nearby towns, where they sleep unattended in public places. Due to the conflict, 1.7 million people have been forcibly displaced, 130 people die each day because of violence, and an estimated 20,000–50,000 children have been pressed into service.

I recently saw the film Invisible Children: Rough Cut, which documents this tragic story and exposes horrors that I cannot begin to relate. I also learned of the nonprofit organization, Invisible Children Inc., that was created by the filmmakers, and of the Global Night Commute that took place on April 29th: in 150 cities, more than 80,000 people commuted from their homes to sleep outside in support of these ‘invisible children.’ Needless to say, I was inspired to take action. Everyone who sees the film is urged to tell everyone they know about it, to spread the word, so that’s what I’m doing. If you’d like to learn more, please visit www.invisiblechildren.com.

Thanks for reading, and a lotus for each of you.

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2006
    Thank you for the info and the link, ROMY. Across the world, the kidnapping of children for soldiers is an abomination about which the self-serving power elites do little or nothing. "No Child Left Behind"? Only if they're the right nationality or - even -colour!

The lotus, I lay at the feet of my statue of Kwan Yin and she weeps.
  • edited August 2006
    *bows*
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2006
    Thank you, Rambling. I have seen other documentaries about these children and I'm trying to find the movie. I will spread the word!!
  • edited August 2006
    The youth of Uganda thank you, and I thank you.
  • edited August 2006
    Rambling,

Thank you for sharing this as well as for the link.

Adiana:type: :usflag:
  • edited August 2006
    It's my pleasure.
  • edited August 2006
    Thank you for sharing this story. I think I am going to get one of the bracelets. I will also be sharing this story with others.

Namaste,
    Kim
  • edited August 2006
    I've got the white Innocent bracelet coming as we speak (it's supposed to be delivered the day before I leave for college *crosses fingers*). Your involvement is greatly appreciated.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2006
    Are you a student, Rambling? If so, you could probably start your own awareness group at college. Write to the organization, ask the college for funds to start the group, etc. etc.

You're doing a great thing.
  • edited August 2006
    Yes, I'm a student -- I'll be a freshman this year. And an awareness group sounds like a good idea -- one of my classmates from high school is planning on starting a club with another student at her college. I'm already determined to organize a campus screening somehow, and I'll see if I'm organized enough myself to start a club to raise awareness (and money for the kids, I suppose). Thanks for the support and encouragement!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2006
    You're very welcome, Rambling. Don't be afraid to ask for help and support from all quarters; Invisible Children Inc., the filmakers, your college, and anyone else you can think of. You might be surprised at the resources offered to you for doing this important work. People want to help and all they need is someone like you to whom they can offer it. Also, the experience alone of organizing something like this will be invaluable to you in your life. It's a win-win situation.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited August 2006
    Holy shi*!

I'll investigate this...I'll get back to you as soon as I get some time to browse the site

Thanks for the Lotus-smells real good!

Cheers,
    Xrayman
  • edited August 2006
    Sure, no worries.
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited August 2006
    Yes, I'm a student -- I'll be a freshman this year. And an awareness group sounds like a good idea -- one of my classmates from high school is planning on starting a club with another student at her college. I'm already determined to organize a campus screening somehow, and I'll see if I'm organized enough myself to start a club to raise awareness (and money for the kids, I suppose). Thanks for the support and encouragement!
    Oooh, what a good idea!
    And I still have a solid year to think about ideas for when *I* get to college.
    Awesome suggestion!
    I'll ask the Model United Nations sponsor teacher at my school if this'll be one of the topics addressed at MUN Conference this year. I hope so - even the Darfur crisis is starting to fade away, so we need to bring back visibility of African problems.

Thank you for your post, Rambling!
  • edited August 2006
    You're quite welcome, Sabine. Keep the buzz going about Africa.