Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Its not somewhere else.

CittaCitta Veteran
edited April 2013 in Philosophy
" When we take a sip of Brunello, savour a piece of chocolate, take a shower, go shopping for a suede shirt or silk underwear, make love or hit our thumb with a hammer, Enlightenment is there.
It is never separate from where we are. "

Nak'chang Rinpoche.
Rodrigocajunman4liferiverflowInvincible_summerLucy_Begood

Comments

• CittaCitta Veteran
    Who would be there to watch the mind ?
    Is there a Tosh within Tosh like Russian dolls ?
    riverflowInvincible_summerJeffrey
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Citta said:

Who would be there to watch the mind ?

Awareness seems to be able to watch the mind. I'm doing it now, bare with me, just to look for an 'I'. The closest thing to an 'I' that's experienced is a slight knot of anxiety I feel in my stomach, and I know that's impermanent.

Maybe 'experience' is my 'I'?

I do understand the five aggregates at an intellectual level and that there's no inherently existing 'I'. I've done those meditations where you go looking for your 'I'. But it still feels like there is one.
    Citta said:

Is there a Tosh within Tosh like Russian dolls ?

No, I don't experience that. I do experience a changing Tosh though, in that my thoughts and feelings regularly change.

I think I'm clued up enough with regards to Buddhist philosophy; I understand relative truths and ultimate truth; emptiness of self, objects and phenomena, that we have no inherently existing 'I', but I'm still very much stuck in the intellectual knowledge. I meditate daily, practise compassion, and try to live an ethical life.

I'm not sure there's much more I can do, apart from being patient.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Patience is priceless. I find it hard.
    ToshInvincible_summerLucy_Begood
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    @Tosh, the car-keys example is great! I'm going to use that. :thumbsup:
    Tosh
  • Citta said:

" When we take a sip of Brunello, savour a piece of chocolate, take a shower, go shopping for a suede shirt or silk underwear, make love or hit our thumb with a hammer, Enlightenment is there.

Nak'chang Rinpoche.

It is new age stuff for an impatient modern world. Nothing to do with Buddhism.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited April 2013
    music said:

Citta said:

Nak'chang Rinpoche.

Can you explain a little more? It sounds like a flowery version of "Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment chop wood, carry water".

It's not the actions that change after enlightenment (like eating or drinking in the original post), it's the experience that somehow changes.
    riverflowInvincible_summerLucy_Begood
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited April 2013
    music said:

Citta said:

Nak'chang Rinpoche.

Well I must concede the possibility that you know more about Buddhism and what it is than the highly regarded Dzogchen teacher Nak'chang Rinpoche does...but somehow I doubt it.
    I know who my money is on.
    Invincible_summer
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    Tosh said:

My car keys are always there, but I regularly have problems finding them. Enlightenment sounds a bit like that, just harder to find.

Maybe instead of saying "it's not somewhere else" we can say "it's not something else."
    That would express that finding it isn't the problem.
    Maybe appreciating it is the key?
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited April 2013
    But that is not what he is saying is it ?
    He says its not somewhere else.
    Its not something else either.
    Samsara IS Nirvana.
  • "Zen Master Hotetsu of Mt. Mayoku was using a fan. A monk asked him about this: "The nature of wind is eternal and all-pervasive -why then do you use a fan?" The master said, "You only know the nature of wind is eternal, but do not yet know the principle of its omnipresence." The monk asked, "What is the principle of its omnipresence?" The master just fanned. The monk bowed."

-Dogen
    Invincible_summerriverflow
  • Citta said:

Samsara IS Nirvana.

Samsara is nirvana. Just curious. Did the buddha ever say that?
  • Citta said:

music said:

Citta said:

Nak'chang Rinpoche.

Well I must concede the possibility that you know more about Buddhism and what it is than the highly regarded Dzogchen teacher Nak'chang Rinpoche does...but somehow I doubt it.
    I know who my money is on.
    You believe in hero worship. Hmm...
  • How perfectly Taoist.

I like it!
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    music said:

Citta said:

Samsara IS Nirvana.

No, it is an extrapolation from Nagarjuna.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    music said:

Pure Land Buddhism's primary belief is to chant the nembutsu (in Shin Buddhism) or niànfó (in Chinese Pure Land) so one can be (either figuratively or literally, depending on the school) reborn in Amitabha's Pure Land. It's considered the "easy path" of Buddhism, because it's all about faith, not much to do with work on the individual's part.

This is a fairly old tradition of Buddhism that is widely practiced.

Would you say it's an "impatient" or "modern" practice that has "nothing to do with Buddhism" when it's clearly a form of Buddhism?

Similarly, the idea that we are already enlightened but simply need to realize it is pretty much at the core of Mahayana Buddhism. Not very modern, very Buddhist indeed.

So where are you coming from?
    music said:

You believe in hero worship. Hmm...

If I said "Hey, I know more about physics than Stephen Hawking!" wouldn't you think I'm a bit daft?
    riverflowTosh
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    lol.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    It's a good question. Who's watching the mind? Who is doing the observing?
  • There is a meditator, a watcher, and an experience. A time, a place, a message, a student, and a teacher.
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    Citta said:

Samsara IS Nirvana.

AArg! I just don't understand this approach.
    It's like saying Black is White. It is NOT.
    Samsara is not Nirvana.
    Samsara is boring and tiring and it pretty much sucks.
    Nirvana is (or so I have been told) not boring, not tiring, and does not suck.

Samsara may happen in the same place as Nirvana... with the same set of sense impression and events that happen to us... but there would be a fundamental difference with how we receive and process that input, with how it is experienced.
    Maybe that's what he's talking about... same world and events, radically different perspective.

I still don't get it. I guess it might be one of those things that doesn't work on the intellectual level, and has to be experienced.
    riverflowmusicSabre
  • 'Before Zen, mountains are mountains and rivers are rivers. During Zen, mountains are no longer mountains and rivers are no longer rivers. After Zen, mountains are mountains and rivers are rivers.'
    taiyakiInvincible_summerLucy_Begood
  • Samsara is clinging nirvana is cessation of clinging. They are the same as in saying when a light is on it is not off.
    taiyaki
  • @jeffrey- actually, lights that are "on" are constantly cycling between on and off.
    Invincible_summer

• If I said "Hey, I know more about physics than Stephen Hawking!" wouldn't you think I'm a bit daft?

I would think you're daft even if you didn't say that.
    Invincible_summer
  • Citta said:

Samsara IS Nirvana.

Samsara is not Nirvana.

Samsara may happen in the same place as Nirvana... with the same set of sense impression and events that happen to us... but there would be a fundamental difference with how we receive and process that input, with how it is experienced.
    Maybe that's what he's talking about... same world and events, radically different perspective.

I still don't get it. I guess it might be one of those things that doesn't work on the intellectual level, and has to be experienced.
    You're right. Also if they were the same, our efforts toward liberation would have no meaning.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    @music
    Also if they were the same, our efforts toward liberation would have no meaning.
    Practice for the sake of practice.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    music said:

Citta said:

Samsara IS Nirvana.

Samsara is not Nirvana.

You're right. Also if they were the same, our efforts toward liberation would have no meaning.
    Our efforts towards liberation ARE meaningless.
    Buddhadharma is not about gain. Its about loss of something that we think exists and doesnt.
    Invincible_summerriverflowLucy_Begood
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited April 2013
    @JamestheGiant, I understand you are contemplating becoming a Theravadin monk.
    There are very few such who accept the view of Nagarjuna. There are exceptions..Ajahn Amaro being one.
    But its probably more skillful to accept that there are models which do not resonate for us...and leave them alone rather becoming negative.

_/\_
    Invincible_summerBhanteLuckyriverflowLucy_Begood
  • Citta said:

music said:

Citta said:

Samsara IS Nirvana.

Samsara is not Nirvana.

Our efforts towards liberation ARE meaningless.
    Buddhadharma is not about gain. Its about loss of something that we think exists and doesnt.
    *sighs* If samsara is nirvana, then why follow the dharma at all?
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Because it is the way to realise that Samsara IS Nirvana.
    riverflow
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    There's a koan about this problem;

A monk asked Jōshū, “What is the meaning of Bodhidharma’s coming to China?”
    Jōshū answered, “The oak tree in the garden.”

Bodhidharma was the Indian monk traditionally said to have brought the Dhyāna (or “Meditation”) School of Buddhism to China in the 6th century C.E. Among Buddhists of the Tang period, the question “Why did Bodhidharma come to China?” was the same as asking, “Why meditate?” or “What is the meaning of Ch’an?”

Why did Bodhidharma come to China? Nowadays such questions are for dilettantes in robes. Better to say what you mean: What am I gonna get out of this? Why sit with a straight back for months or years on end?
    Jōshū’s answer cuts to the chase: Did you think there was more to life than trees? Did you think there needed to be more? Who told you there needed to be more—and why did you believe them?

http://www.tricycle.com/web-exclusive/green-koans-case-10-joshus-oak-tree
  • Citta said:

Because it is the way to realise that Samsara IS Nirvana.

Could you define both terms so that we'll know what we're talking about?
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Saying samsara is nirvana is saying suffering is peaceful. Or pain is pleasant. It's not like that. This is nirvana: the end of suffering. Nirvana is the end of samsara, not a part of it.

Now accepting reality as it is brings about enlightenment. And that's something we can do at any moment, we just need to see it. In that sense, nirvana is always there. Because when we see there is no self, what is left is nothing. It takes just one blink of the eye to understand the whole of the Teaching.

So both point of views are valid in a way. It's just intellect that clouds. But not many minds are ready to accept they don't exist. That's why there is a path. But it's like climbing a mountain, not to enjoy the view, but only to jump off of it. Then the falling goes by itself.

Don't want to sound like a smart ass, but just to say there is no need to fight or argue over such verses. It's like arguing whether a cup is hollow or bell shaped. Just depends from which side you look at it.

Metta!
    Sabre
    Rodrigo
  • Maybe it's a bit like having a lot of money in the bank after being broke for years. Knowing it is there makes the world a different place for you, but it's the same world.

It's a poor analogy, but analogies are tough.

• ToshTosh Veteran
    I'm going through a Steve Hagan phase! I'm fairly sure in Buddhism plain and simple he describes it as a waking up, a bit like waking up to what this picture (he uses) shows:

photo 2013-04-05_16-45_stevehaganspictureofacow_zpse0959b1d.jpg

It took me a while, but it's a cow, and once I've seen it, I can't unsee it.

Can you see it?
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited April 2013
    music said:

Citta said:

Samsara IS Nirvana.

It's one of the fundamental tenants of Mahayana.

Citta said:

Samsara IS Nirvana.

Samsara is not Nirvana.

This is a really good article on it if anyone is really interested. It starts out like this:
    That saṁsāra is nirvāṇa is a major tenet of Mahāyāna philosophy. "Nothing of saṁsāra is different from nirvāṇa, nothing of nirvāṇa is different from saṁsāra. That which is the limit of nirvāṇa is also the limit of saṁsāra; there is not the slightest difference between the two." [1] And yet there must be some difference between them, for otherwise no distinction would have been made and there would be no need for two words to describe the same state. So Nāgārjuna also distinguishes them: "That which, taken as causal or dependent, is the process of being born and passing on, is, taken noncausally and beyond all dependence, declared to be nirvāṇa." [2] There is only one reality -- this world, right here -- but this world may be experienced in two different ways. Saṁsāra is the "relative" world as usually experienced, in which "I" dualistically perceive "it" as a collection of objects which interact causally in space and time. Nirvāṇa is the world as it is in itself, nondualistic in that it incorporates both subject and object into a whole which, Mādhyamika insists, cannot be characterized (Chandrakīrti: "Nirvāṇa or Reality is that which is absolved of all thought-construction"), but which Yogācāra nevertheless sometimes calls "Mind" or "Buddhanature," and so forth. But if, as Buddhism claims, there never was an "I, " how can "I" experience dualistically? The answer, of course, is that "I" do not experience dualistically; the sense of duality is only an illusion, since all experience is and always was nondual.
    The Difference Between Saṁsāra and Nirvāṇa
    By David Loy
    Philosophy East and West
    Vol. 33, No. 4 (October 1983)
    pp. 355-365
    Copyright 2000 by University of Hawaii Press
    Hawaii, USA

So you can say "samsara is nirvana" and "samsara is not nirvana" and they can both be correct depending if you are speaking from the view of the relative or the absolute. If all 5 Skandha are empty, then they have always been empty regardless of how you experience them. But when you realize that all 5 Skandha are empty and are freed from suffering, nothing about the world itself actually changes. It still the same as it was before. You still take a shower and still hit your thumb with a hammer and go "ouch". The Buddha got enlightenment then what did he do? He went to sleep at night, got up had some food and drink. Walked around the forest, heard the birds go "chirp chirp", etc. The Buddha walked around that forest and that forest was in the realm of nirvana because the Buddha was in the realm of nirvana. Therefore, that forest is and always has been in the realm of nirvana because samsara is just an illusion. To a Buddha, there is no more samsara anywhere. If samsara is just an illusion, then there is no such thing as samsara to begin with. But, the debate over whether or not samsara is nirvana will go on indefinitely when one person is speaking from the relative and the other is speaking from the absolute. Before one can understand what it means, you have to view it from the side it's being spoken from. That is how I see it anyway. :)
    riverflowCittaVastmindzombiegirl
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Spot on Seeker242.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2013
    If we look at what the Buddha meant with samsara, however, it's not just this life. Not just taking a shower or eating chocolate. What is meant with samsara is the life continuation, birth after birth. After we die, if there is craving, we will be reborn. That's the original meaning of samsara - the wheel of existence. And nirvana is the stopping of that wheel.

When the Buddha was still alive, was just a few years. Those years were not the aim of his practice, it was his not reappearing in a new life after death. That's the nirvana that matters. Because we are all going to die, we just don't know when.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Thank you Sabre. That is indeed the Suttric view.
    It is however not the Vajrayana or Dzogchen view.
    I suspect that it might not be the Zen view either, but of that I have no first hand knowledge.
  • I think all that is said here is that you cannot have mahasukkha without having mahadukkha. You cannot play a trick on dukkha in order to get to sukkha. You have to genuinely realize the 1st noble truth.
  • I see the cow I see the cow :vimp:
    Sabre
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    Buddhism's kind of like beating a game, isn't it? Once you finally figure out the key to make it stop sucking so much, the game's all over...
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

Buddhism's kind of like beating a game, isn't it? Once you finally figure out the key to make it stop sucking so much, the game's all over...

Or, It's like that movie where the computer learns to play tic-tac-toe and gives up because it's impossible to ever win. "The only winning move is not to play" :lol:
    riverflow