Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

An Event/Retreat Idea

I just got an Idea today, I thought about it but I thought it sounded kinda cheesy at first.

I don't think it will really apply to you if you don't live in the midwest, unless you don't mind traveling.

I call it "Enlightenment on The plains"

The optimal idea is to have it last a week but I don't like anyone has that time.

A few days or even just one, I don't know.

The idea behind the event is to have a buddhist interfaith festival. Having Buddhists and Non-Buddhists alike from all traditions come and do dharma talks. While in a nice park in the summer.

We could have a half day metation with hundreds of people, Renact the Giving of the diamond prefection of wisdom sutra, or even the givening of the first dharma talk in deer park(not the actual one unless your in india).

We could have a few bands come in and celebrate buddha day with a giant cake and a huge meal.

Of course have fun events planned to strenghten the bond between sanghas.

How it would work is if everyone would donate a certain amount of money per person to cover the event.

I think the possiblites are endless. I just don't know if my center would want to or have the time to do such an event, or if anyone would want to event come to it. But it was a cool I dea I think.
blu3reeriverflowlobsterInvincible_summernenkohaizombiegirlBhanteLucky

Comments

• opps sorry for the typos.
  • riverflowriverflow Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Don't worry abut your typos!

/\

:)

(ha I made one too -- that was not intentional!)
  • I love this idea. And I would travel to such an event! I have friends who did a musical fest/event for 10 years running. There ARE some major logistics involved.

But, a wonderful idea. And, indeed, I would come!

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    Maybe we could just set up our own New Buddhist tent at the Burning Man Festival
    and call it the Burning Self Festival. There would be no logistics beyond 7 days of a clothing optional meditation on drugs, pagen dancing and performance art in the desert. What could go wrong?
    Invincible_summernlightennenkohai
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    Do you really think that you can get non Buddhists to meditate for half a day?

Invincible_summer
  • ok you win
  • You know what Im just going to say it. If a Lama or a rimpoche came up with this idea then everyone would be thrilled over it. What is the point in being here if all my ideas get shot down? Drama is just everywhere, and everyone has an excuse as to why they are right and why everyone else isn't. No one even asked me if "non buddhist" would meditate half a day; you just presumed it and dismisted me and that is just one example. Im not sorry about anything I am writting. I am starting to think one of the things in the world that is suppoed to have wise and understanding people really doesn't. Your not suppose to care about enlightenment in buddhism, it's all about smilling and how nice a front you can give people. I bet none of you act the way that you do at your temples as you do here. I don't care if I get banned from this site. Im not going to give you some smilling bullshit face and say pretty things to you, Im going to tell you the truth where it hurts and where you are not even looking at. I can't be right.

So you know what, ban me, just do it, atleast you won't ever have to live up to the truth about yourself like the buddha asked. It's not even about that, It's about it all of it. Oh but then someone will say "That's life kid!!" I know what life is, do you even live up to what you clam to follow? Because to me comment like "how are you going to get 'Non-Buddhists' to meditate half a day", are the same type of snarky comments that a 16 year mean girl would say to feel proud of her self on the internet. Nothing in that comment was even constructive at all, you could have asked me something in a way that is constructive and has a meaningful point instead of childish comments that help no one. Yet again I It's not just about one comment it's the fake attitude. But what else can I say. I know everyone is going to say that im a bad buddhist or that Im not a buddhist or what ever. Well good bye If I get banned which I totally know I will. I just think that I am one of the new outsiders to this cliche, and you know, those stupid outsiders never last long, it's because we are all smart and better that the outsiders.

Some goodbye, and loving kindness my ass, I am tired of trying and trying to be nice and be myself and try and change myself when no one else even gives an effort to. I have tried and tried to be kind and have compassion for all being, but what good is it doing me? Buddhists don't do it, why should anyone else?
  • I am tired of trying and trying to be nice
    Sounds nasty.
    Why should you be banned for having a good idea? Did you present the idea to your centre? How far have you got with the organisation? How many similar events have you brought to fruition? It might take several tries and several years to organise . . . or you could just use a Buddhist flash mob, now where do we get one of them? Gonna be set backs when organising the herding of Buddhist Pussy Cats . . .
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    I perceived her comment as a joke.

Just try and focus on the good. Here you have 6 people who have hit the "awesome" button to your idea, and you are focusing on the one comment that you perceive as criticism. It's natural to do so, but just try to keep it in perspective. Just because the negative seems the loudest doesn't mean it has to be.
    lobster
  • Wow, dude. I am truly sorry you feel this way. My intent was not to be negative, but just to be a bit grounded.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    The force of your adversarial response simply says that you have been hurt by the those who have not agreed heartily enough for your liking. I wonder how differently you might view all of this after your next period of Buddhist meditation.
    Invincible_summer
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited April 2013

else isn't. No one even asked me if "non buddhist" would meditate half a day

"Do you really think that you can get non Buddhists to meditate for half a day?" is technically asking you...

Why don't you explain your idea more, and comment on the constructive comments that have been given? What if you propose this idea to your city hall and they ask harder questions? What then?
    zombiegirl
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    Wow. Sorry that my comment hit you so hard. I think it will be a challenge to non Buddhists to sit meditation for an extended period, since beginning meditators usually start with maybe 20 minutes at a time. But it would work at such an event to include a session on meditation for beginners or something, so that we can introduce people to the practice.

I was not intending to be mean or snarky. But I could have been more clear.
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    edited April 2013
    @ordinarybeing,
    Seven people tagged your post with AWESOME,
    two people agreed it's a great idea, (now three, cos I think it's a great idea too!)
    one person asked a skeptical question.

WTF??
    Invincible_summer