Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

More questions... chanting, choosing traditions, teachers, etc...

edited October 2006 in Buddhism Basics
On another forum I post in something came up about chanting and I mentioned that I chanted two different mantras, one Nichiren and the other Tibetan. It was then said to me that I need to not mix two traditions when chanting, meditating, etc because it would cause confusion in my learning. It was also said that choosing one tradition to follow, my mind and practice would be alot clearer to the dharma teachings. I do understand all this, and it makes perfect sense in a way, but does anyone care to clear this up a bit for me?

And I know this has been asked, but once a person chooses a traditional path to follow, should they then try to find a teacher of that tradition? I can see how important it is, just wanted some more input on these questoins. Thank you all in advance. Hope you are all having a great weekend!

Comments

• edited August 2006
    Looking for Answers,

First off, let me say hello and welcome!

As for your question, I am not sure but what I can share is that I am a Nichiren Buddhist, so I chant as well. I will be checking this thread to see if someone can answer your question as well. Once again, welcome to the site!

Adiana :usflag:
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited August 2006
    L.f.A.,

I suppose that everyone will have his or her own opinions concerning this topic, and my advice would be to ask yourself whether you want to develop a skill that will lead you all the way to the end of suffering. If the answer is yes, then I would suggest that you seriously think about picking one tradition to follow so that you are able to devote your full attention and effort into practicing. It is also good to keep in mind that some traditions have a very different approach to practicing the Dhamma than others, and combining them might not be the most skillful thing to do.

If you find a tradition that feels right for you, it would probably be a good idea to find a teacher who can guide you along the way. Not all teachers are going to be good teachers, but there are certainly many who can help to inspire confidence, answer difficult questions, and really give your practice a boost when you run into unforeseen difficulties. Although you can receive good advice from people on the internet like us, it is preferable to have someone you really know and trust—someone who has dedicated their life to understanding, living, and teaching Dhamma.

Jason
  • edited August 2006
    Elohim wrote:
    L.f.A.,

I suppose that everyone will have his or her own opinions concerning this topic, and my advice would be to ask yourself whether you want to develop a skill that will lead you all the way to the end of suffering. If the answer is yes, then I would suggest that you seriously think about picking one tradition to follow so that you are able to devote your full attention and effort into practicing. It is also good to keep in mind that some traditions have a very different approach to practicing the Dhamma than others, and combining them might not be the most skillful thing to do.

If you find a tradition that feels right for you, it would probably be a good idea to find a teacher who can guide you along the way. Not all teachers are going to be good teachers, but there are certainly many who can help to inspire confidence, answer difficult questions, and really give your practice a boost when you run into unforeseen difficulties. Although you can receive good advice from people on the internet like us, it is preferable to have someone you really know and trust—someone who has dedicated their life to understanding, living, and teaching Dhamma.

Jason

Thanks alot Jason, your answer really helped me out here. I've asked myself the question and now know the necessary step to move on. I appreciate it.

By the way, how have you been? Hope all is well!!!
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited August 2006
    L.f.A.,

You're welcome, and I'm doing well. Thanks for asking.

Jason
  • pineblossompineblossom Veteran
    edited August 2006
    LfA - Hello. I certainly do not have answers - those are for you to come up with - but I have a little experience that might help.

I don't know how long you have been on the Path but in my 16 years I have had not had a teacher - contrary to what everyone seems to say - including teachers. There are a number of reasons for this and I can expand if you wish - the point I wish to make is that until you have some experience of renunciation and a substancial motivation to follow the Path (notice I said 'Path' and not 'Tradition') you will probably not appreciate the idea of finding a teacher.

However, this does not mean you cannot make a decision to follow a particular tradition - for the moment - remember, everything changes including our own thinking compounded by our experience. In the West we are constrained in a number of ways - as yet Buddhism is not mainstream so we are playing catchup a fair bit - we do not have the facilities, including the teachers, that we can access as others do, particulalr in the East and Sub-continent. We have cultural impearatives which are nothing short of physical obstructions to seeking a teacher - like distance and costs. On the other hand most of us in the West have access to the Web and the many publication now in English is expanding rapidly.

Two things further - sorry about the length - don't unnecessarily put pressure on yourself to do something and you can achieve this by making yourself familiar with the teachings which necessarily means that following one tradition will increase the likelihood of the familiarity being achieved.

May you find your answer.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2006
    I'd like to add that having access to the internet also gives us access to the audio recordings of many, many talks giving by great teachers around the world. I think this is a priceless resource for everyone, including those who already have their own teacher.
    Check them out, LFA. They are wondrous.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited August 2006
    I'm not saying anything that indicates you should change what you are doing.

But -

How many Catholic-Protestants do you know?

It would seem that mixing up many religions would cause confusion. But, we have a certain pilgrim on this site that has mixed up so many things and still seems to have a sense of clarity that is very interesting...

-bf
  • edited August 2006
    Brigid - will you please share some of the links to the recordings you are speaking of? :)

Thank you!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2006
    Oh, there are tons.

This is LamRim.com, one of my favourites at the moment.

This is AudioDharma.org

This is BuddhaNet.net audio.

This is Dharmastream.org

This is Dharmatalks.org

This is MettaForest.org

This is Tathagata.org

There are many more. Just use Google and enjoy!!
  • edited August 2006
    i was under the impression by TNH that by developing all the good things regardless of any religion or w/e was gd. Which i agree, becoming wiser and realising more, i dont think that can be achieved by simply following 1 thing without looking at alternate and contradictory sources and questioning both.

.. Even though sogypal ripoche says opposite.. that we should dedicate ourselves to 1 religion solely. I don't think you can realise things and put your mind at rest, i think that is but another form of indentifying yourself.

.i refuse to class myself as any buddhist or religion.. simply because i am me and thats not any name.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2006
    Celebrin,

I think Sogyal Rinpoche was talking of those who have done all the investigative research they need to do and wish to finally devote themselves to one particular path. Some people are ready for that and some are not. You're still young and as you get older your feelings and opinions will change, along with everything else. Nothing is set in stone. Remember to cultivate a flexible mind. It's far more important to remain flexible than it is to cling to one's opinions.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2006
    Just to chime in with my 2 cents, I'd agree with Jason that it's fine to shop around in the beginning until you find that path that speaks to you, but once you've found it, stick with that one path and don't mix traditions. Like your friends have advised you, it can really lead to confusion. This is something my own teacher has talked about on numerous occasions. Too many Westerners, I think, sort of browse the spiritual smorgasbord without ever making a commitment to one or the other path, and they end up with no path. It's not about which one is the "right" one or the "true" one but about which one is the one for you, and this is something that can only be determined by you. So while there's nothing wrong with chanting mantras from different traditions, I'd certainly consider deciding upon one or the other tradition and following it exclusively.

Palzang
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    I'm not saying anything that indicates you should change what you are doing.

But -

How many Catholic-Protestants do you know?

It would seem that mixing up many religions would cause confusion. But, we have a certain pilgrim on this site that has mixed up so many things and still seems to have a sense of clarity that is very interesting...

-bf

Am I to suppose that I am the pilgrim to whom you refer, BF?

Yes, certainly, I use a mix of 'traditions'. In Christian terms, I suppose I am a Catholic-Protestant (a Roaming Catholic, I used to say), believing in 'justification' but also revering the saints and the long history of monasticism.

Without in any way discounting the hard and concentrated work of those who can devote themselves 100% to a single explanation and practice, I find this does not 'fit' for me. The Mystery is just so large, so multi-faceted that I rejoice in the variety of views from so many centuries and so many inspired teachers.

The phrase that I use is that each of the 'spiritualities' is no more than a disguise that the Mystery puts on but that none can completely encompass the whole. As an example, I take the mountain that we call Everest: seen from Nepal it has one shape, from China another, but it is always the same mountain.

I am aware that this is similar to the New Age crap that we are fed by self-styled gurus. The difference, I hope, is that I do not assert that this or that 'explanation' is an absolute truth, nor would I persecute or exile anyone with a different view. The basis of all that I do, with those who work with me on their spiritual journey, is to arrive at the best and most complete expression of this individual's life, within its context and action.

For me, the aim is not about someThing or 'Person' Out There but the true flowering of the person In Here. This is completely different from ego-reinforcement, although that may be a starting point: it is, ultimately, the passing away of exactly that which we hang onto.

If, in order to come to that realisation (i.e. making real), a person finds aids in mantras or the Dikr or the Rosary, so much the better.

Perhaps the key to all this is that I cannot take any of the gospels, dharmas, vaticans etc. very seriously. They are all so funny!! One of my friends is a jazz fanatic, having more or less rejected his original folk music roots. I cannot agree that this or that musical form is 'better' than another, any more than I can say that this or that colour is better: they make sense or not according to the person receiving them.

I'm not sure if this makes sense. It arises from a conviction that each and every spiritual path has something to teach, is a different finger pointing at the same Moon. Thus I respect and revere each one to some degree and, above all, the individuals who have found solace and personal development therein.

BTW, I use a whole slew of 'mantras' drawn from many traditions, including (as I notice others here do, too) from music and the arts.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Why, yes! You are the pilgrim I was referring to.

Don't take me wrong, I wasn't making a negative reference to you. I find that you have a certain clarity regarding how all things can inter-relate. In a, somewhat, Joseph Campbell way.

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2006
    " And still they gazed,
    And still the wonder grew,
    That one small head
    could carry all it knew."

(Oliver Goldsmith, 'The Deserted Village.')

EDIT NOTE: VERY OFF-TOPIC.
    (The poem is beautiful, but very long, and laments the death of country life caused by the Industrial Revolution in England, that caused so many countryside hamlets and villages to die, as the inhabitants migrated to the big citiesto work, often ending up in abject poverty. It's worth persevering and reading, if only to note that employment problems seem to have always existed, in whatever age.....You'll find it in full, here.....
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2006
    I understand what you're saying, Simon. I too enjoy reading and understanding a wide variety of traditions and marveling at their similarities as well as their differences. I have to say I really didn't understand Christianity, for example, until I became a Buddhist. However, that said, I would still argue that to attain enlightenment, which is, after all, the ultimate goal and the only one really worth pursuing, that you still have to pick a path and stay with it exclusively. Otherwise you'll just get confused and wander all over the place rather than staying focused. That's what I've been taught, and that's what I truly believe.

For Simon and anyone else interested in comparative religion/philosophy, have you ever read the book Navajo and Tibetan Sacred Wisdom: The Circle of the Spirit, by Peter Gold? Fascinating book.

Palzang
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2006
    I do understand and deeply respect your position, Palzang-la. Indeed, I can find it in me to deem that you have chosen the bettr path. It is a flaw in me that I have no capacity for such commitment.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2006
    I do understand and respect your choice, Simon. We do the best we can, and being ignorant sentient beings, we are by definition flawed, so we're all in that boat to some extent or another. I just wanted to say what I said more for the benefit of others because there is a movement afoot in certain quarters that prefers to water down Buddhism to the level of pop psychology, and that's dangerous, imho. The Buddha prophesied that in these times such a thing would happen and would eventually destroy his teachings, so every time I see its ugly little head rising, I try to squash it. I don't mean to say that you're guilty of that because I don't think you are, but someone new coming in might read that and say, well, it's OK to just pick and choose. I think you have the wisdom to know the difference, but not everyone does. So I hope you understand that I wasn't criticizing you.

Palzang
  • MakarovMakarov Explorer
    edited September 2006
    Dear Looking For Answers, Your question is one thta I think all of us "newbies" to Buddhism encounter early on. I too asked myself what
    school" of Buddhism I was most suited to/most comfortable with. I think you must read a lot about ALL the schools and see what first seems to make the most sense to you. If you are fortunate enough to have a variety of Buddhist centers/temples in your area you can try them all out for a fit. If you are like ,ost of us....kinda of on our own, it's not so simple. I first had to decide between the major choices of Mahayana vs Theravadan. That was easy enough but then it got more complicated. In the end I decided that philosophically speaking Soto Zen was the most comfortable choice for me. Now...where to practice or learn more....this wasn't easy to do in Southwestern Missouri...Ozarks country. Chats with local asian store proprietors to locate an elusive temple or center revealed simply that despite our large asian population...Springfield has NO temple or centers. For meditation training I decided to attend a 10 day Vipassana Retreat at Dhamma Pakasa in Illinois. This gave me some basic understandng of that aspect of Buddhist practice but now I need more. I have registered and been accepted to spend 2 weeks in February 2007 at MABA which is a large Chinese Buddhist Temple in Augusta, Mo. I am hoping that this will give me the lessons and training in practice, rituals, sutras, chants, etc that Ii feel my current practice is missing. Good Luck!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2006
    I agree, Makarov. That seems to me to be the best way to do it. At least that's the way I did it, so it must be right! Well, maybe not. Most of my teacher's early students were attracted to her, not Buddhism per se. In those days she wasn't even teaching "Buddhism" but "Christ Consciousness" - essentially the same thing, but these particular students didn't have the karma to hear the teachings in a Buddhist context at first. When they eventually became Buddhist, it was quite a shock to them! So it doesn't always have to look a certain way. Someone with the karma to study Buddhism will find the path in whatever way. But I still think it's really wise to do as you say, gather as much information about all the schools as you can, experience as many of them as you can, and see what resonates with you.

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited September 2006
    This is a timely topic for me because I've been going through some changes of heart and mind lately about which tradition I wish to follow. I was strongly drawn to Vajrayana (Tibetan) Buddhism almost immediately when I first started down this path but now I'm not even sure if I'm suited to the Mahayana or Vajrayana schools at all. Lately I've been gravitating towards Theravada Buddhism for some reason and I'm feeling quite confused and a little lost. I kind of feel like I've got one foot in the boat and the other on the dock and the boat is starting to drift away. lol! So I don't really know what to do other than keep my heart and mind open and continue learning from all traditions for a little while longer until I can get a better understanding of where I should eventually focus my attention. I've gone back to the suttas themselves in the meantime just to read the Buddha's own words (or the closest thereto) and hoping for my mind to clear and my choice to become evident. I just don't know where I belong...
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited September 2006
    I just don't know where I belong...

Love should lift us up where we belong, Brigid

teehee
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    This is a timely topic for me because I've been going through some changes of heart and mind lately about which tradition I wish to follow. I was strongly drawn to Vajrayana (Tibetan) Buddhism almost immediately when I first started down this path but now I'm not even sure if I'm suited to the Mahayana or Vajrayana schools at all. Lately I've been gravitating towards Theravada Buddhism for some reason and I'm feeling quite confused and a little lost. I kind of feel like I've got one foot in the boat and the other on the dock and the boat is starting to drift away. lol! So I don't really know what to do other than keep my heart and mind open and continue learning from all traditions for a little while longer until I can get a better understanding of where I should eventually focus my attention. I've gone back to the suttas themselves in the meantime just to read the Buddha's own words (or the closest thereto) and hoping for my mind to clear and my choice to become evident. I just don't know where I belong...

Brigid, take a deep breath, sit down, take a few more deep breaths...

Whenever I find myself in a similar state, not knowing which way to turn, I've found the best thing to do is just drop it. Erase it from your mind. Turn it over. Shut off the brain engine. However you want to describe it. When you truly let it go, the answer will come. Always has for me anyway.

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Yeah, I think that's a big part of the problem, Palzang. I'm over thinking, as usual. I've never been a very intuitive person and I haven't developed that part nearly as much as I have the intellectual part so I usually end up over analyzing things and looking for a clear answer. But I'm getting much better and my mind is a lot more flexible than it once was. I'll take your advice, Palzang, and work on shutting off the over thinking. Thank you for the good counsel.

Xray,

You're a freak.
  • edited October 2006
    I consider myself a Buddhist but prefer not to associate myself with any tradition. In a way, I mix different philosophies. I follow the ethical and meditative teachings of the Buddha but also try to live out the virtues and activism stressed by Confucius. I am no Christian, but I try to live out the Gospel virtues of forgiveness and non-volence.

Thich Naht Hanh seemed to not have a problem with syncretism. Everyone else tells me it is wrong and confusing. But I feel a great satisfaction and appreciation when I can incorporate the teachings from people throughout all places and time in my daily life. I have no intention of finding a teacher because there is no better teacher than myself when it concerns my own life.
  • edited October 2006
    I also do not associate with one tradition exclusively and I don't see a problem with that. So what if it may be confusing at times? Confusion is not an obstacle unless we make it so. Rather, I believe that it is a step towards deeper wisdom. I find that from confusion (at least for me) arise and questions and from answering (or trying to answer) those questions I receive a deeper understanding of not only someone else's teachings, but also of myself and how what I feel to be true based on my experience - much deeper than if I just took one set of noncontradictory teachings and committed them to memory since that does not foster such intense personal reflection for me. Sometimes, maybe, we need to allow ourselves to be thrown out of equilibrium so that we can build it back. And while perhaps some people might think that this may all be a sign of hubris, I find it actually to be quite humbling since many times I am faced with the realization that maybe I don't know as much as I thought I did.

And as for that mountain, I don't plan on racing anyone to the top. The journey is short enough as it is.