Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Acupuncture

ZenLunaticZenLunatic Veteran
edited June 2005 in General Banter
I'm going to my first acupuncture appointment today! It's at a student clinic at a school here in town. I've had chronic pain in my left shoulder for over 10 years. It forced me to quit playing cello 11 years ago, and is hindering my return to this beautiful instrument now! :bawling: I really hope they can help.

Does anyone here have any experience with acupuncture, or TCM in general?

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited June 2005
    no experience here, but please let us know how it goes.

Perhaps you can "review" acupuncture for the site :p
  • ZenLunaticZenLunatic Veteran
    edited June 2005
    The visit was pretty interesting. One person took a thorough history while another took my pulse in several different positions. After that, the needles! They weren't so bad. One spot in my foot, though, was really blocked, and I could feel it as the needle went in! My practitioner said the it definitely loosened up at the end of the session. I also got some in my ears for appetite control. Afterwards, they taped little metal balls to the spot, and if i feel hungry, i'm supposed to pinch on those. The shoulder pain feels a lot better, but not 100% yet. She said the chi's been blocked for quite some time there and may take a few more sessions to open it back up. We'll see what happens after the next few appointments!
  • edited June 2005
    ZenLunatic wrote:
    The visit was pretty interesting. One person took a thorough history while another took my pulse in several different positions. After that, the needles! They weren't so bad. One spot in my foot, though, was really blocked, and I could feel it as the needle went in! My practitioner said the it definitely loosened up at the end of the session. I also got some in my ears for appetite control. Afterwards, they taped little metal balls to the spot, and if i feel hungry, i'm supposed to pinch on those. The shoulder pain feels a lot better, but not 100% yet. She said the chi's been blocked for quite some time there and may take a few more sessions to open it back up. We'll see what happens after the next few appointments!

Zen,

Thanks for posting this. I have been toying around with the idea of accupuncture for some time now. I suffer from chronic pain in my knees. I don't know if there is treatment available or not for my particular problems but at least I know now what the procedure is for using accupuncture as well as what to expect.

Adiana :):)
  • ZenLunaticZenLunatic Veteran
    edited June 2005
    From what my practitioner told me, pain managment is what #1 thing acupuncture helps with. I'd definitely give it a shot!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2005
    Don't drink any fluids for at least an hour after treatment though.
  • angulimalaangulimala Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Don't drink any fluids for at least an hour after treatment though.

hi,
    since i'm an acupuncturist, i could tell that you mention above is not entirely true, you can drink or eat after the treatment.thank you
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2005
    Angulimala: Ghasso *deep bow* and apologies... i was being humorous.... I was trying to imply that you leak out of the holes, 'Tom & Jerry& style....

I am a shiatsu practitioner, so I know and deeply respect the practises alied to Ki, meridians and the 5 Transformations...

'A fool is known by a multitude of words.'

(:o sorry.) :)
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited June 2005
    I have severe middle and lower back pain. Would you acupunctureists have any suggestions. Thanks.
    edited June 2005
    hi fed and comic,
    it's me who must apologize cause i dont understand the humor.so i "deep bow' back to you,fed.
    and for comic i think you could go to a doctor or acupuncturist and if you are in france maybe you can go to federica to have shiatsu treatment.see ya all
    edited June 2005
    Well I do go to a doctor to get pain killers for my back. I just want to get off them and try something new and drug free.
    edited June 2005
    hi comic,
    so what the doctor said about your back pain?is your lumbal vertebra alright?acupuncture is quite effective in treating back pain, so is tui na(massage).if you have problem with your vertebra you could see a chiropractor.
    edited June 2005
    I have a herniated disc at T12/L1 and L5/S1. I have had this damage for years. IO also had a fusion done at C3/C4. My neck doesn't bothe rme as much as it used to. My doctor has me on Lortab 10 and Robaxin and Naproxen. I only take the Robaxin at bedtime so my muclse can relax while I sleep. I had to take Lortab 10 before my surgery for almost 3 years. I never got addicted so my doctor was comfortable giving it to me but he said to be careful anyway which I am. Somedays I live with the pain and not take the painkillers just to keep myself in some sort of control.
    edited June 2005
    hi comic,
    i think you could try acupuncture or tuina (massage) plus some exercise like taichi or qigong training, i dunno yoga is suitable for you or not,you'd better consult your doctor first.
    edited June 2005
    I am not allowed to do any other Kung Fu styles besides my own so no taichi or qigong.
    edited June 2005
    hi comic,
    is the doctor didn't allow you, or your master?
    edited June 2005
    My Grandmaster. It is against the rules of my school. I have to master my style befor eI am allowed to do any more. My doctor says to do whatever doesn't hurt.