Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Origins of using "skilled" as a Buddhist descriptor

I have noticed some modern books and many here using the word "skilled" or "skillful" or "unskilled," etc.

Where or how did that word enter into usage for Buddhists? I am fascinated at how well it works to describe actions and thoughts.

Thank you!

Comments

• I also find the Buddhist concept of skillfulness very useful.

Christians, by contrast, tend to think in terms of right or wrong though, interestingly, the Greek word translated as 'sin' in the Bible is 'Harmatia' which means 'to miss the mark', like an unskillful archer.
    nenkohailobsterInvincible_summer
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2013
    nenkohai said:

I have noticed some modern books and many here using the word "skilled" or "skillful" or "unskilled," etc.

Where or how did that word enter into usage for Buddhists? I am fascinated at how well it works to describe actions and thoughts.

Thank you!

It comes from early Buddhist teachings, specifically the Buddha's distinction between skillful (kusala) and unskillful (akusala) actions (e.g., see AN 2.19 and AN 6.55).

For more info about skillfulness from the Buddhist point of view, I recommend checking out this section from Wings to Awakening.
    nenkohaiInvincible_summer
  • thanks, guys! Jason, will check that out!