Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Thai Forest meditation posture

Hello friends,

Within the Thai Forest tradition, what postures are generally used for meditation? Would I be correct in assuming it's the same within some other traditions (e.g. Zen) where the ideal would be full-lotus, but half-lotus and Burmese position are also acceptable?

Also, do Thai Forest monks/lay practitioners use the equivalent of a zafu? It's just in some pictures I've seen it appeared they weren't using anything as a cushion (ouch!).

Many thanks,
Craig

Comments

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Hi Craig,

May differ per monastery, the Thai Forest Tradition has become quite big, with many many monasteries and associated places.

However, as far as I'm aware there is no general posture. In a retreat I was taught many different possible positions so one can change. Sitting in one posture all the time is not so comfortable, and probably not good for the body. A posture needs to be comfortable and ideally a bit upright. As long as you can achieve this, it's ok. The legs don't even need to be cross legged. So people use all kinds of postures, on meditation cushions or benches, even on chairs. That's all fine. :)
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited April 2013
    @Craig86 - I'm not an expert by any means, but I get the impression from some of Bhante Yuttadhammo's videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/yuttadhammo) and doing some reading on TF that using a cushion is sort of frowned upon in the Thai Forest tradition, as it's seen as a crutch.

In a book I read about a Westerner's experience as a pakhao in a Thai Forest monastery, he kept mentioning "Thai meditation posture" which was described as having "legs crossed, right foot on the left thigh."

So basically, half-lotus.

But I don't think that if you sit in other ways you'll be shunned from any Thai Forest sangha...
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    What makes full lotus desirable is that it forces the spine into an erect posture when sitting on the ground. With a cushion or a stool the position becomes largely irrelevant and if not worked up to properly can actually do permanent damage to ones knees.
    Invincible_summer