Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

fear

edited August 2006 in Faith & Religion
It is good to fear the unknown, and then to use that fear as a guide to find out what it was you didn't know.

Comments

• ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited August 2006
    Yet without fear in what you may do, what you believe in might just come true. Would you mind elaborating? :)
  • edited August 2006
    Hello ajani,
    Sure. If you fear what you may do, isn't that exactly the moment that you get to know yourself?
    edited August 2006
    Is Fear thus the best teacher?

Personally I do not think it is right to fear in everything - no matter how difficult the task may be. Some times, more of trust is required in yourself than fear of the unknown, isn't it?
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited August 2006
    I wouldn't say that fear is the best teacher, but it is a good teacher.

Neither is love, nor hate, nor jealousy, nor anger, nor compassion, nor kindness...

To only take one emotion or one view of life doesn't allow one to learn what is needed to be learned. The Buddha taught of Happiness, Anger, Violence, Wisdom, Old Age, Affection, Heedfulness, etc.

If we weren't creatures that would experience all the joy and suffering associated with all facets of our lives - why would there be so many lessons to be learned about so many different things?

-bf
  • edited August 2006
    contact wrote:
    It is good to fear the unknown, and then to use that fear as a guide to find out what it was you didn't know.

Yep. Run away but in circle, so the unknown cannot follow but celebrating its joy to have done a good job. Meanwhile you are behind that unknown and study the programming etc.

:grin:
  • edited August 2006
    I'm not talking about anxiety, such as in birth, old-age, etc.; more about conscientiousness and fear of blame.
    edited August 2006
    But why would you use fear towards fear of blame? Would that just not complicate stuff up?

Hmm... Mind typing longer posts for elaboration? :rockon:
  • edited August 2006
    ajani_mgo wrote:
    But why would you use fear towards fear of blame?

If you can do some elaborating, I wouldn't mind.
    edited August 2006
    Say you and a friend were playing soccer, when you kicked the ball too hard and hit your mother's favourite vase and it fell to pieces.

For fear of blame, you and your friend decide to blame it all on the cat - and that's what you do when your mum gets home.

Unknown to you, in a parallel universe, your mirror self is confessign it all - and you learnt a precious lesson on courage and honesty.

Get my drift? :rockon:
  • edited August 2006
    Sounds familiar alright; except, of course, for the parallel universe. Thanks.