Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

pocket buddhism

edited August 2006 in Buddhism Today
Hi there all around the globus,

I think I've found out the real pocket version of buddhism. Even forget the eightfolded path etc, that is to complicated.

Just be aware

I practise silent awareness, which bears all things clearly differing, but is one and endless, without boundaries.

Let your body develope that intelligence ( kids and animals are always present, wide awake, just that) and you are always the presentee, even maybe there are no great advantage or purpose, just your life become more intensive, the grass is greener and the sky higher.

And as gift spreading and flourishing out of that wonder of clearsight, enrooted in your own innate wisdom and intelligence, there come all the virtues in authencic way then. Cool eh? That is wonderfull for modern times, following the focus of awareness has enough place in every pocket. :grin:

One has not to go to inner purification camp to terminate all of his bad ego. That is stuff for masochists and submissives, who want to become roboters of good behaviour, to reach the uncreated. :-/ Not the joyfull road of laughter and compassion with your own little sins. :rarr: Who is without any sin :grin: of willing to get that great piece of cake and that little cream cap just right into the middle please, yeah, now the strawberrysauce upon the cream ....

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited August 2006
    Ojayan,

Basic awareness is an important aspect of the Buddha’s Path; however, it is insufficient on its own. Awareness does not lead to virtue, virtue by definition deals with actions and their results. Virtue’s importance is to keep one from falling away from the Noble Eightfold Path. I can be aware of performing unskillful actions, and unless my intentions are purified, I will continue to perform unskillful actions out of ignorance.

I also find it hard to imagine that the process of inner purification is simply for masochists and submissives since this practice is exactly what the Buddha taught to his own son, Rahula. The purification of bodily, verbal, and mental actions has nothing to do with a wish to become a do-gooding robot, and it has everything to do with protecting ourselves as well as others from the consequences of our unskillful actions.

Jason
  • edited August 2006
    Elohim wrote:
    Ojayan,

Basic awareness is an important aspect of the Buddha’s Path; however, it is insufficient on its own. Awareness does not lead to virtue, virtue by definition deals with actions and their results. Virtue’s importance is to keep one from falling away from the Noble Eightfold Path. I can be aware of performing unskillful actions, and unless my intentions are purified, I will continue to perform unskillful actions out of ignorance.

Hello Jason,

sorry, I didnt want to offend somebody, but my look unto it is totally different. When I am aware in action, I am in a very innocent communication with reality, which gives me feedback, what is correct virtue, without valuating or judging.

Here is a quote of one, who can explain it much more better

--from Wisdom Nectar: Dudjom Rinpoche's Heart Advice by Dudjom Jigdral Yeshe Dorje, translated by Ron Garry, a Tsadra Foundation Series book published by Snow Lion Publications

5. Your present naked awareness

How amazing!

Your present, naked awareness--
    Unspoiled by thoughts of past, present, or future,
    Not fettered by mind grasping to so-called "meditation"
    Nor falling into a pervasive blankness of so-called "non-meditation"--
    The natural state nakedly sustained,
    Is the practice of Great Perfection.

Regardless of what thoughts arise during that practice,
    To reject negative ones or foster positive ones is unnecessary.
    Mere recognition liberates them in their own ground.
    Take this liberation upon arising as the path's key point.

Destroy whatever meditative experiences arise, and relax.
    A tantric practitioner without fixation is deeply content.
    You've reached your goal of contentment right now.
    What is the use of numerous enumerations of Buddha's teachings
    When you discover Buddha Kuntu Zangpo within yourself?
    Keep the meaning of these words close to your heart.

And in my words:

To connect each acting with the eightfolded path you come always into valuation, judgement, into duality and will miss the point of nondual and wholeness. You create therefore that duality like christians do. You create a heaven of good behaviour and a hell of unskillful actions. But where does that judgement come from: It comes from social structures, rules and teachings, which are about 2500 years old.

Awareness is PRESENCE, no dust of religion and duality can reach it.

Jason, what is the essence of the path, of which Tilopa said, dont follow a path ( or: follow the non-path) to follow the path of the buddhas. It is awareness and silence ( every child is connected with) . These both cant be fixed into that patriachal religious system, the bookbelievers created.

I also find it hard to imagine that the process of inner purification is simply for masochists and submissives since this practice is exactly what the Buddha taught to his own son, Rahula. The purification of bodily, verbal, and mental actions has nothing to do with a wish to become a do-gooding robot, and it has everything to do with protecting ourselves as well as others from the consequences of our unskillful actions.

One more time my apologize, but I think, what is meant as inner purification make only sense, when you become enlightened.

Then there is starting a new journey, where your deepest attachments became purified, but one cannot DO that. That is beyond doing or even imagination, because all of your lifes are involved. The abyss of universal mother has to be cleared. so to say. :grin: And there is only god happening, the divine being inside is clearing itself.

I think, purifying before is a process of education, sometimes okay and necessary, sometimes more a process of selfnegation.

But everything is at the right point within divine perfection, so all of religions too, but in my opion all of that religions and Isms are no selfliberation. They are dual selfnegation and I have made the experience of that horrible men with books and rules, drinking wine and preaching water a lot of times.

peaceful wishes and have a nice time

• pineblossompineblossom Veteran
    edited August 2006
    Ojayan wrote:
    I think I've found out the real pocket version of buddhism. Even forget the eightfolded path etc, that is to complicated. Just be aware.

Ojayan - Sounds like you're into relativism - I'll stick with Buddhism.

Awareness is PRESENCE, no dust of religion and duality can reach it.

Is that an 'ego' talking.

The abyss of universal mother has to be cleared.

Is this a new teaching?

Ojayan - we'll still be here when you get back - may you meet the Dharma.
  • edited August 2006
    Ojayan - Sounds like you're into relativism - I'll stick with Buddhism.

I have no isms. :)

Is that an 'ego' talking.

*lol* No, it is self. You dont like ego? Is that an 'ego' talking? Your accusation of ego is imo a subtle egocentric game.

Is this a new teaching?

My experience. I talk only of what I have experienced.

Ojayan - we'll still be here when you get back - may you meet the Dharma.

I prefer that naked awareness, as Dudjom Rinpoche decribes, and .... nothing sacred with that, only openness and wideness.

Best wishes
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2006
    Ojayan wrote:
    Hi there all around the globus,

I think I've found out the real pocket version of buddhism. ....

"Believe those who seek the Truth.

Doubt those who find it."

Providing you understand that it's the journey, not the destination, that counts.....

Providing you understand that everything is changing, and nothing stays the same.....

Providing you understand yours is not the only, the be-all and the end-all.....

walk along side me, but not necessarily in step.

The view is wonderful, is it not?
  • edited August 2006
    federica wrote:
    "Believe those who seek the Truth.

Doubt those who find it."

Hi Federica,

Yes. More precise: Doubt those, who pretend to have the only truth, because there is at least no truth then you n me ( our buddhabeing) and nothing is hidden, for those who have eyes & ears.

In fact, truth is no - THING, no trophy .... and imo it finds you, or if you like the more psychological sight like Gestaltherapy, it is the congruence and annulment of figure and ground. But that have a new quality, like the sum of numbers.

The empty self is not build of selfnegation, but a process of selfrecognition, that spirallike come to end, to empty core and rose up as pure being.

Providing you understand that it's the journey, not the destination, that counts.....

Yes, Madam. :D I am a passenger and not the captain or constructor. I am here to enjoy that wonderfull journey, that process between nothingness and abundance. I have enough water with me, so that I am not the fool, who is thirsty in that abundance.

Providing you understand that everything is changing, and nothing stays the same.....

Yes, Madam. But evolution is a very efficient power, and the believe in earth as a disc is not so long ago. Lets enjoy and take advantage ( what a cruel egoism hehehehe) of that standing of unsecurity and looking to new horizons of mankind.

Providing you understand yours is not the only, the be-all and the end-all.....

That is something, I am learning upon. :)

To accept, what is.

Providing you understand, that I cannot take every aggression with polite compassion. In my view pb for example attack me. I try to understand but I am not the one, who is willing to suffer, delaying the other cheek. Okay, I said masochists etc, okay, *grin* ... oookay.

walk along side me, but not necessarily in step.

The view is wonderful, is it not?

It makes me breathless. That way angels must see this wonder of wonders, reality ...

There to the right is Shambala .... and what is that .... the pure land ...

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2006
    Aaaah......Pureland....namo Amitabha ......Yes, I see.....
  • edited August 2006
    federica wrote:
    Aaaah......Pureland....namo Amitabha ......Yes, I see.....

and there are some cloudsailing laughing Zenroshis, *winkback* .......

Aaaaaah, wonderfull that empty wonderland ...

Nice to meet you, federica. *indicatingalittlebow*
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited August 2006
    To me, OJ's post didn't imply he found the summation of all Buddhist teaching, but rather puts forward the only version you will ever need of those silly little take-wth-you What Would Buddha Do handbooks you see today.

Anbd I like it, thanks man.

::
  • edited August 2006
    Magwang wrote:
    To me, OJ's post didn't imply he found the summation of all Buddhist teaching, but rather puts forward the only version you will ever need of those silly little take-wth-you What Would Buddha Do handbooks you see today.

Anbd I like it, thanks man.

::

No need to thank! :)

And .... I dont need to found "the summation of all Buddhist teaching", it sounds, that is yours and I wish you good luck with that humble job. :thumbsup: :)

There is nothing to find in nothingness, in non-self, maybe?

I am living my journey ( my journey lives me?) and have a little bit time to look over & out my cave, when my paintings going to dry.

I see a lot of things, talking and writing of people, they didnt understand their selfs, and didnt want to, except what stand in stonewritten patriachal laws, ... having no own words and experience, but laying the crossbar for others higher and higher. I thought, that is christian manner, and now I am very astonished, that is not true. But maybe its that the european immgrants bring in that christian roots. Ego as sin and purifying as rotten out that sin. etc. Not the very pure land, but the very dualism, imo.

I am learning to stay relaxed with that but love to talk my direct views, cause, that ones attack me and think, its compassion, why should I now began to carpetcrawl? Eh? :winkc:

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited August 2006
    Ojayan,

Forgive me for my terseness, but all I see are a lot of words that do not really say very much—nothing to do with what the Buddha taught at least. Just to be clear, I am not offended by anything that you have said, including such things as masochists, submissives, roboters, patriarchal religious systems, book believers, et cetera, but I do not see how it relates to Buddhism or the Buddha’s teachings at all. Much of it contradicts what the Buddha himself taught. What you are saying sounds much like the last person to be removed from this site in so far as you are attacking the teachings on kamma, as well as comparing modern Buddhist traditions (esp. Theravada) with Christianity. The Buddha taught that certain kamma will lead to pleasant rebirths, certain kamma will lead to unpleasant rebirths, and certain kamma will lead to the end of rebirth altogether—the kamma of right view, right resolve, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, right concentration (AN 4.235).

Our clear vision of the way things really are is obstructed by ignorance of the Four Noble Truths. Therefore, when we act we not only act in a way that produces future suffering, but we act in unwholesome ways which will harm ourselves as well as others. The Buddha taught the Noble Eightfold Path so that we are protected from producing unwholesome kamma, and instead cultivate wholesome kamma until we are freed from conditionality through wisdom. In this regard, the Buddha never taught that we should observe our negative or unskillful thoughts with awareness alone, but he instructed his followers on multiple ways in which to respond to them wisely (MN 20). From what I can gather, you seem to assume that what was taught by the Blessed One was only applicable in ancient Indian social structures 2,600 years ago; however, the Buddha taught that the Dhamma is not only visible in the here and now, but that it is also timeless in so far as it is immediately perceivable whenever discernment is present (AN 6.47).

Jason
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited August 2006
    Also, Dzogchen, or Great Perfection, is full of pitfalls & such, and is only advisable under the guidance of a qualified teacher. Vajrayana as a whole is heavily centered on the teacher directly introducing. From what I have heard from some very qualified teachers (such as Loppon Namdrol at E-Sangha) is that it is easy to mistakenly think you've stumbled across this state & misattribute different experiences to it, thinking you have attained the ultimate.

Now, your path is up to you, but be careful of what Padmasambhava referred to getting lost in View at the expense of Conduct (and vice versa). This is a very common pitfall. Additionally, there is more to this path than simply cultivating bare awareness, though this is essential for cutting off our reactive minds. I can maintain bare awareness while killing someone, for example. While there may be very little attachment to the action it still creates very negative kamma. Also, if direct Insight into Paticca Samuppada is not present, then you likely have not reached the state of Great Perfection.

While I commend your enthusiasm & commitment to your current approach, please realize that things may change, & discarding all sutras because you read a few snippets here & there is not very valid Buddhism, imo. Granted you may not care, but the 4NT truths are a the basis of enlightment according to the Buddha and indespensable to the removal of Avijja.

May you be well.

_/\_
    metta