Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

My thoughts about God

edited September 2007 in Faith & Religion
This is my idea about God. I think if you believe in God it exists, if you don't it doesn't exist. The way I could try and explain what I mean is to take time as an example. Time doesn't exist, although we all 'believe in it' and we organize our lives by it. But it can't be seen and peoples interpretations of it are different. This is how I feel about God, that God doesn't exist as a physical being. Trying to explain it is like trying to explain time itself. Does that make any sense??

Comments

• edited June 2005
    I think you're right, and that's what everything in life is like: we are taught that gravity will keep a book on the table, so it does not float off. But if we thought floating off the table was a perfectly natural thing for it to do, then there is no reason why it shouldn't!
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited June 2005
    OK but what if God does exist no matter what you believe?
  • edited June 2005
    He does exist no matter what we believe. He doesn't exist no matter what we believe. The main problem is believing either way. That would be leaning toward something "out there". Recipe for suffering.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2005
    "It little matters whether you believe God/Heaven exists. The important thing is, to live Life as if they did." :)

There's a wonderful tale in the Tibetan book of Living and dying, where a man asks a priest or sage to prove to him that Heaven exists....
    "With pleasure, yes! I can do that! On one condition - "
    "Whassat?" asks the Doubting Joe....
    "That you prove to me that it doesn't."

If we live our lives following the Eightfold Path, recognising the 4 Noble Truths and adhering to the 5 precepts, the Way is the Joy. To have Loved and Served with an open Heart will be its' own reward. And if Heaven exists, then we won't have done badly. If not, our time will NOT have been wasted.

But if we jerk around, skip on the goodness just to fool around and live an egoic deluded life with no purpose, and Heaven does NOT exist, then in any case, we will leave no 'imprint on the sand' and it will have been a waste of a lifetime.
    But IF - IF - God exists.... how on earth would we explain ourselves then.....?

Do the right thang - you know it makes sense!!
  • edited June 2005
    Well, Comicallyinsane, God does exist, but in what context? It is without doubt that God exists in one of the following - As a being. As an energy. Or as a thought or a belief. My question would be to determine what you mean by exist?
    edited June 2005
    I would say God exists as all of those things. That's my belief anyway. I don't think God has to play by any rules and I don't think I wil ever comprehend what God truly is.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2005
    I don't think God has to play by any rules and I don't think I wil ever comprehend what God truly is.

Brilliant! Absolutely, clearly, succinctly, simply, wonderfully, plainly brilliant! :lol:
  • edited June 2005
    To me, God is only a faith. As with any religion. People have to have faith in the world in order to live happily. If there isn't any faith, one might say what is the purpose of life?

Believing in something is a security and helps you cope with death better. "Knowing" that your soul will live again makes your feel better.

I wrote in another forum about my boyfriends softball team praying before and after each game...I feel like they are talking to nothing. Even though I feel like that, its makes them feel better knowing they have God with them in their hearts. A faith they choose to have. I however do not believe in that faith. And am still trying to find mine.

I think I'm on the right track ;)
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Good "leaning example, bat.

Michael
  • kinleekinlee Veteran
    edited July 2005
    There is an interesting article at http://www.stanford.edu/~pj97/God.htm
    edited July 2005
    As a side note... being that I just got done writing a thread about myths...

I believe Greek mythology has a story called "The Great Pan Is Dead" which basically states that gods exist while we believe in them. When we no longer believe in them, they lose their power and fade away...

Michael
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited July 2005
    The Egyptians certainly believed that regular worship was necessary for the health (as well as the benificence) of the gods. Many mythologies see gods as capable of dying (the Asgard myths and the Gita, for example). The Buddhist notion of the deity world also envisages their death. Death and resurrection of a god are at the heart of mystery religions.

The story about hearing a voice calling "the great god Pan is dead" comes from Plutarch.
  • kinleekinlee Veteran
    edited July 2005
    I think God is an external comsic energy. This energy may not have a physical form but it will react (the law of cause and effect or in IT term Request and Response) to all brain waves (thoughts) broadcasted into the Universe. Over the years, people put on a label as God.
    I must quantify that I may not be right about this, just my opinion.

cheers,
    edited July 2005
    I have been watching Babyln 5 and those Minbari always have something to say. They make a good view on the show. We are all made up of the same molecules as the sun, nebulas, and everything else in the universe. We are all just manifestations of the universe trying to understand itself and sometimes it needs a change of view to keep itself on it's way.

I like to think that is just a good analogy of God as anything else.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited July 2005
    Would you believe that I'm God, and that I'm just here on this forum to keep an eye on all of you?

No huh?

Damn, there goes my chances of starting a cult!
    edited July 2005
    Maybe we are all parts of God?
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Elohim wrote:
    Would you believe that I'm God, and that I'm just here on this forum to keep an eye on all of you?

No huh?

Damn, there goes my chances of starting a cult!
    But buddhism IS a cult! My mum said so! :p
    edited July 2005
    Tell your mom that Jesus comes to you in your dreams and told you to become a cultist. And make sure and do it with a serious face. :crazy:
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Man, she would have me commited.
    edited July 2005
    If she tries tell her you have th epower of God protecting you. Then scream and fall to the ground shaking. :wow:
  • pobpob
    edited December 2005
    I ran across your post and your description of GOD is very good. To me you are taking the agnostic point of view, if GOD exists so be it, if GOD does not exsist so be it, and I am not going any further to investigate.<church of agnostics>, web page, carriers this further, if you care to read it.
    I myself can be called an agnostic pantheist, a belief in something and thats where it stops.

Just my few words

pob:usflag:
    edited December 2005
    You can't be an 'Agnostic Pantheist' - it's self contradictory. You're either an Agnostic, (a person who believes that nothing can be known concerning the existence of God)

or a Pantheist (The belief that God can be identified with the universe, or that the universe is a manifestation of God)

.... how on Earth can you say you're both?
  • pobpob
    edited December 2005
    HELLO
    I caught your attention no one elses, your so right, and pantheism..no leaders, churches no nothing, and the same with agnostic, therefore you can say perhaps what you believe, but only the revealed religions take presence.
    Anyhow we are reviewing buddhism now, and the others aside.

FRANCE??? been to paris a few times, enjoyed it

pob
    edited December 2005
    pob wrote:
    HELLO
    Anyhow we are reviewing buddhism now, and the others aside.

FRANCE??? been to paris a few times, enjoyed it

pob

Well, we review Buddhism and God here, so it still counts...!!
    Paris is nice... Shame about the Parisians.... The whole of France hates them.....
    But that's aside, as we're reviewing God....!! :D
  • edited December 2005
    If God does exist, not believing doesn't make him/her/it not exist. And if God doesn't exist, believing doesn't make him/her/it exist. It just goes to show that our beliefs don't create reality. What is is, if that makes any sense. Whether we believe or not is irrelevant.
    edited December 2005
    federica wrote:
    Well, we review Buddhism and God here, so it still counts...!!
    Paris is nice... Shame about the Parisians.... The whole of France hates them.....
    But that's aside, as we're reviewing God....!! :D

Really?

I have never heard good things about Parisians from people I know that have traveled there.

-bf
  • edited December 2005
    If on the other hand he went to pay his respects to The Door and it wasn't there ... what then?
    The answer, of course, was very simple. He had a whole board of circuits for dealing with exactly this problem, in fact this was the very heart of his function. He would continue to believe in it whatever the facts turned out to be, what else was the meaning of belief? The Door would still be there, even if the Door was not.
    -- Douglas Adams, Dirk Gently: Holistic Detective Agency

Hehe I love this guy ^ :cheer:

EDIT: Here is the context for the above quote. It's an amusing take of belief =)
    http://www.mat.upm.es/~jcm/adams.html
  • edited December 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:
    I have never heard good things about Parisians from people I know that have traveled there.

There is a first time for everything! I traveled to Paris last year and found the Parisians very friendly and helpful, but this is probably because my husband and I made an effort to communicate in French with them. Before I went there I had heard nothing but "Parisians are arrogant and rude!" and came away with a completely different view. I am glad I had the opportunity to make up my own mind about it.
    edited December 2005
    Lindsay wrote:
    There is a first time for everything! I traveled to Paris last year and found the Parisians very friendly and helpful, but this is probably because my husband and I made an effort to communicate in French with them. Before I went there I had heard nothing but "Parisians are arrogant and rude!" and came away with a completely different view. I am glad I had the opportunity to make up my own mind about it.

Living there makes a difference, particularly if you are black, North African or poor. It is very easy to forget that Paris inter muros is only a tiny part of the Paris conurbation. Having lived and worked in the banlieu (Seine-Saint-Denis, Gonesse, Stains, among others), I can say that tourist Paris is lightyears removed from the real life of the capital.
    edited December 2005
    I have had the privilege (for want of a better word) like Simon, of doing both....
    Even as a tourist, it wasn't the best time I've had... maybe I just got them on a bad week.... but the French are notoriously insular... and believe me, Simon, being Black and North African has nothing to do with it. The French don't discriminate. They dislike any strangers trying to settle in and encroach....This 'Liberté, Egalité Fraternité' is a xenophobic bunch of hokum... they have tried so hard to judge everyone equally right across the board, that their discrimination has run out of control... the above motto applies if you're a French National. Anyone else is persona non grata and subtly made to know they don't cut it anywhere....
    This is the main reason Nick and I are seriously considering coming back to the UK next year....
    edited December 2005
    I fear you are right, Fede. I lost a great-uncle and aunt to the deportations after the Vichy Laws and have many pied noir and pied jaune friends. Xenophobia and racism appear to be as ingrained into the French psyche as shit under a Norman farmer's fingernails.
    edited December 2005
    I neither wish to be negative nor divisive, but the French have a real up-hill struggle on their hands....
    Many now realise that being so insular, (in efforts perhaps to maintain and preserve equality and tradition) this had brought immediate good results, but that time and life has progressed to the point where these ideals are now dangerously out-dated...

The same 'Man on the street' who nods and agrees enthusiastically when I lament the state of French attitudes, is the same one who would be up in arms if I dared to propose, for example, that my qualifications and experience (but lack of diploma) is better than that of a 20 year-old armed with a diploma and no experience.

Off the record, they might agree with me, but when the chips are down, come the job interview the French close ranks so tightly, gold foil would have a real job slipping through....
  • edited December 2005
    Lindsay wrote:

Perhaps they are no more rude than a lot of Americans who insist that everyone who comes to the US should learn English first. All depends of your perspective I guess. But I've never been to Paris and I know probably about 2 words on French :rolleyesc
    :usflag:
  • edited December 2005
    Living there makes a difference, particularly if you are black, North African or poor. It is very easy to forget that Paris inter muros is only a tiny part of the Paris conurbation. Having lived and worked in the banlieu (Seine-Saint-Denis, Gonesse, Stains, among others), I can say that tourist Paris is lightyears removed from the real life of the capital.

My husband lived there and didn't have any problems. Granted, he's not black or North African, but I do think it is much easier for any foreigner who makes an effort to speak the language. I'm surprised people weren't more rude to me based on my American nationality, since I have received some truly awful treatment in both Ireland and England because of it. My best friend, who lives in Switzerland and has lived briefly in Paris as well, warned me that Parisians are especially rude to tourists, and that is what I found to be untrue. I have a Parisian friend, and a friend from Reunion Island, who have told me many times that Parisians are awful and racist, and I do read the news enough to understand current affairs, but all I can speak from is my own personal experience. Buddhafoot said he'd never heard anyone say anything nice about their Parisian experience, so I felt the need to relate mine.
  • edited December 2005
    starstuff wrote:
    Perhaps they are no more rude than a lot of Americans who insist that everyone who comes to the US should learn English first. All depends of your perspective I guess. But I've never been to Paris and I know probably about 2 words on French :rolleyesc
    :usflag:

Well I do agree that if you are travelling to another country you should make an effort to learn at least a few useful phrases in their language if you really do want to communicate with people. I saw a lot of Americans and British yelling at French people in English, and I really can't blame French people for feeling angry about that.
    edited December 2005
    I can say that tourist Paris is lightyears removed from the real life of the capital.

You're saying that because you had all the cool jobs when you lived in Paris.

-bf
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited October 2006
    spaceman wrote:
    This is my idea about God. I think if you believe in God it exists, if you don't it doesn't exist. The way I could try and explain what I mean is to take time as an example. Time doesn't exist, although we all 'believe in it' and we organize our lives by it. But it can't be seen and peoples interpretations of it are different. This is how I feel about God, that God doesn't exist as a physical being. Trying to explain it is like trying to explain time itself. Does that make any sense??

I realize this thread is pretty old, but I just came across it and it reminded me of a story about Seung Sahn (Korean Master). Anyway, I thought I'd post it here for your perusal:
    Q&A about God at Brown University
    Zen Maser Seung Sahn
    On Tuesday nights The Providence Zen Center holds a meditation session at the Dharma Room (Manning Chapel) at Brown University. The following is an account of one of the exchanges which has taken place there.

After one of the Dharma Teachers was finished with his introductory remarks, he asked those congregated to direct their questions to Zen Master Seung Sahn, Soen Sa Nim. One of the visitors asked if there was a God.

Soen Sa answered "If you think God, you have God, if you do not think God, you do not have God."

"I think that there is no God. Why do I have God if I think God?"

"Do you understand God?"

"No, I don't know."

"Do you understand yourself?"

"I don't know."

"You do not understand God. You do not understand yourself. How would you even know if there was a God or not?"

"Then, is there a God?"

"God is not God, no God is God."

"Why is God not God?"

Holding up the Zen stick, Soen Sa said "This is a stick, but it is not a stick. Originally, there is no stick. It is the same with God for originally there is no God. God is only name. The same is true of all things in the universe."

"Then is there no God?"

"The philosopher Descartes said, 'I think therefore I am.' If you do not think, you are not, and so the universe and you are one. This is your substance, the universe's substance, and God's substance. It has no name and no form. You are God, God is you. This is the 'big I,' this is the path, this is the truth. Do you now understand God?"

"Yes, I think that there is no God, and I have no God."

"If you say that you have no God, I will hit you thirty times. If you say that you do, I will still hit you thirty times."

"Why will you hit me? I don't understand. Please explain."

"I do not give acupuncture to a dead cow. Today is Tuesday." replied Soen Sa.

http://www.kwanumzen.com/pzc/oldnewsletter/v01n06-1973-april-dssn-q&aaboutgod.html

_/\_
    metta
  • edited October 2006
    is very gd quote, everything is everything and nothing
  • edited October 2006
    federica wrote:
    "It little matters whether you believe God/Heaven exists. The important thing is, to live Life as if they did." :)

But if we jerk around, skip on the goodness just to fool around and live an egoic deluded life with no purpose, and Heaven does NOT exist, then in any case, we will leave no 'imprint on the sand' and it will have been a waste of a lifetime.
    But IF - IF - God exists.... how on earth would we explain ourselves then.....?

Do the right thang - you know it makes sense!!

But is there something wrong about living life as if god/heaven don't exist? Certainly plenty of believers don't live good lives and plenty of unbelievers do live good lives. Consider that in the U.S. atheists are actually underrepresented in prison populations (with Catholics and evangelicals being overrepresented) and studies also show that atheists and agnostics are less likely to get divorced than evangelicals. At the very least, this should cause us to challenge the assumption that belief in gods or an afterlife is in and of itself a good influence on people's behavior (sorry if I offend any divorced people, I do think it can be a valid option for some but that it occurs far too often).

Instead, why not live as if gods and heaven don't exist? I make my own purposes in life - but that doesn't mean that they are necessarily selfish or egotistical, or that my life is in any way empty. I actually find it rather humbling to think that when I am gone I am gone and that there isn't some god somewhere obsessing over my every move. This life is the only one I have so I'm going to try to make the most of it - which means NOT wasting it on drugs or being mean or hurting others.
    edited October 2006
    Sorry Dharma Kitten, maybe I didn't clarify adequately - and you make a good point...but I think maybe I either didn't make myself sufficiently clear, or you misunderstod (probably a colourful sprinklin' of both....!)

What I was trying to say was, it doesn't matter what a pesron believes, or doesn't believe... God shouldn't come into the equasion... The way to live a life fully is to live it well, in harmony with others and being, generally speaking, good....
    There is no sense in permitting an outside influence to govern your inner actions and attitudes, because that way lies guilt, uncertainty and obligation... Each person should do it for themselves.... and the rewards are legion....

Good point and well made, about prisons though... Talk about a 'captive audience'!
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited October 2006
    But is there something wrong about living life as if god/heaven don't exist? Certainly plenty of believers don't live good lives and plenty of unbelievers do live good lives. Consider that in the U.S. atheists are actually underrepresented in prison populations (with Catholics and evangelicals being overrepresented) and studies also show that atheists and agnostics are less likely to get divorced than evangelicals. At the very least, this should cause us to challenge the assumption that belief in gods or an afterlife is in and of itself a good influence on people's behavior (sorry if I offend any divorced people, I do think it can be a valid option for some but that it occurs far too often).

Instead, why not live as if gods and heaven don't exist? I make my own purposes in life - but that doesn't mean that they are necessarily selfish or egotistical, or that my life is in any way empty. I actually find it rather humbling to think that when I am gone I am gone and that there isn't some god somewhere obsessing over my every move. This life is the only one I have so I'm going to try to make the most of it - which means NOT wasting it on drugs or being mean or hurting others.

Perhaps it would have been better to say that people should live in an active recognition that ALL their actions of mind, speech & body have both positive & negative affects on themselves & others. Without such recognition, all sorts of unwholesome things will find their way into our lives.

take care

_/\_
    metta
  • edited October 2006
    federica wrote:
    Sorry Dharma Kitten, maybe I didn't clarify adequately - and you make a good point...but I think maybe I either didn't make myself sufficiently clear, or you misunderstod (probably a colourful sprinklin' of both....!)

What I was trying to say was, it doesn't matter what a pesron believes, or doesn't believe... God shouldn't come into the equasion... The way to live a life fully is to live it well, in harmony with others and being, generally speaking, good....
    There is no sense in permitting an outside influence to govern your inner actions and attitudes, because that way lies guilt, uncertainty and obligation... Each person should do it for themselves.... and the rewards are legion....

Good point and well made, about prisons though... Talk about a 'captive audience'!

Thanks for the clarification and sorry if I did misunderstand. I certainly agree with what you are saying in this post.
  • edited October 2006
    not1not2 wrote:
    Perhaps it would have been better to say that people should live in an active recognition that ALL their actions of mind, speech & body have both positive & negative affects on themselves & others. Without such recognition, all sorts of unwholesome things will find their way into our lives.

Exactly!!!
    edited October 2006
    In reference to prisons, some of you may not yet have come across this:
    [FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Naljor Prison Dharma Service[/FONT]

We think it a good thing to share the Dharma with prisoners but is it any different from Christian, Islamic, Jewish or any other faith group addressing this 'captive audience'?
  • becomethesignalbecomethesignal Explorer
    edited October 2006
    I think what is important is one's attitude and reasoning. I know a lot of times certain religious organizations don't really care about individuals as much as they care about getting 'converts'. So, the way I see it is that unfortunately many religious people don't really show real love or care to others because their only reason for doing so is to hope that the person changes and believes like they do. I think it's more important to just help and care fore others and not require them to believe exactly as I do.
  • edited November 2006
    I am an atheist personally. I don't think it is taking a belief when stating that I don't believe in a deity of any sort. I see no proof for God. Judging by all means of observation at my disposal, I have yet to prove God logically, so I don't believe in his existence. To counter this, many have said that I can't disprove his existence either.

This is true. But I can't disprove the existence of anything. Can you disprove Santa Clause? Or as the atheist might ask, the Invisble Pink Unicorn. Easter Bunny? Unless you have searched every molecule, every atom of the entire universe, you cannot scientifically disprove anything. But because I can't prove God, I don't believe in him.

I don't think this is taking any more faith than saying that I don't believe in the Boogeyman.
  • Bunny_HereBunny_Here Explorer
    edited November 2006
    I am agnostic- I have no idea whether or not there is a god.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited November 2006
    was GOD an astronaut?
  • edited November 2006
    maybe he was the average man... *thinks about average statistics in britain.. dismisse's them.. thinks bout america.. dismisse's them*... maybe not
  • edited November 2006
    I know that I wrote that I would not post any more outside 202, now I think I wrote that before thinking all through. Anyways, here I go.

When I was a kid, I thought of God as an old bearded Man. Nice, wise and polite. He often was desperate, because despite all of his good intentions, he could not please all beings. That made him suffer, because he did not want his children to be unhappy. Then I felt ashamed. In sentimental hours, this thought still comes to my mind.