Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

My thoughts about God

2»

Comments

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited December 2006
    Here's something that's really interesting. Time magazine did an "America by the numbers" piece in the Oct 30 issue where they did a number of broad surveys. One part was about how our view of God affects other views (especially our politics). Just something interesting to check out :) Obviously not as relevant to our non-American members, but I trust it may still be informational.

http://www.time.com/time/covers/20061030/what_we_believe/
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited December 2006
    fofoo wrote:
    I know that I wrote that I would not post any more outside 202, now I think I wrote that before thinking all through. Anyways, here I go.

When I was a kid, I thought of God as an old bearded Man. Nice, wise and polite. He often was desperate, because despite all of his good intentions, he could not please all beings. That made him suffer, because he did not want his children to be unhappy. Then I felt ashamed. In sentimental hours, this thought still comes to my mind.

Interesting how some of the charm and innocence of our childhood still carries through with us to this day.

-bf
    edited December 2006
    matt wrote:
    Here's something that's really interesting. Time magazine did an "America by the numbers" piece in the Oct 30 issue where they did a number of broad surveys. One part was about how our view of God affects other views (especially our politics). Just something interesting to check out :) Obviously not as relevant to our non-American members, but I trust it may still be informational.

That is interesting.

I sometimes wonder if humanity will ever move away from a sense of God. But probably not while there is still a Bible Belt.

Unless they move everyone there some distant planet called Biblious IX - in which a matter of years they will either conquer the universe or blow themselves up to meet the requirements of Revelations.

-bf
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    That is interesting.

I sometimes wonder if humanity will ever move away from a sense of God. But probably not while there is still a Bible Belt.

Unless they move everyone there some distant planet called Biblious IX - in which a matter of years they will either conquer the universe or blow themselves up to meet the requirements of Revelations.

-bf

There was a notion of God before the Bible Belt and I imagine it will outlive said Belt.
    edited December 2006

There was a notion of God before the Bible Belt and I imagine it will outlive said Belt.

I don't know... I think it's taken on a life of it's own.

As my ex wife once told me in a very firm tone, "You'd better RESPECT MY BELT!"

One must respect the belt.

-bf
    edited December 2006
    I was just re-reading my post about Biblious IX - boy, that's some damn good English. Iffin' ya ask me, that is...

-bf
  • edited December 2006
    Even tho I agree there was a notion of God before the Bible Belt.......BF is right.....It has taken on a life of it's own...I live smack dab in the middle of it........and I'm thinking more than a few here may disagree with you Simon or to hear them tell it anyway.......lol

Which came 1st God or the Bible Belt. Bible Belt or God.......

Just trying to make a joke.......not a very good one at that. Just don't have your touch BF.
    edited December 2006
    It's probably a good thing you don't have my touch... it's not fun to have people spraying you with anti-bacterial sprays all the time.

-bf
  • edited December 2006
    LOL
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2006
    You'll be telling me that the Tablets of the Law were handed down to the Israelites in the Catskills next. LOL
  • edited December 2006
    matt wrote:

Nice read. The god of my childhood and sentimental hours certainly would be benevolent, if he wasn`t that distant. ;)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Anyone who is a True Believer (i.e. a fan of South Park) knows that God is a Buddhist Jew. And all the inhabitants of heaven are Mormon.

Speaking of the Time article, I read they did a survey once asking people who their favorite American was. The most common answer? Jesus! Truth.

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2006
    Which American said (when told, I believe, that a Hebrew, Arabic and Latin version of the Christian Bible was being produced) that if English was good enough for Jesus, it was good enough for him? :crazy: :lol:
  • edited December 2006
    Palzang, Jesus was the most common answer? This was an American only survey?

Are you serious or are you joking?
  • edited December 2006
    lol i could so easily believe that... sigh id doubt that wud be the answer here.. too many dumn surverys.. on average it takes 2 hours to program a VCR.. lol my time :5 mins
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Palzang, Jesus was the most common answer? This was an American only survey?

Are you serious or are you joking?

I'm not kidding, it was a real poll. Have you ever been to Tulsa? If you have, it is perfectly understandable.

Fed - W, right? Who else would be that stupid? Well, I guess I already answered that question, didn't I?

Palzang
  • edited December 2006
    yes, I have been to Tulsa. My brother and his family live in OK.......lolololololol

Sorry I can't help laughing........Got to call him......

The Bible Belt........should have known. I live in it too.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Nothing against Tulsa, mind you. I actually like Tulsa a lot after my two visits there. But the beliefs of some of the natives are, well, pretty provincial, let's say.

Palzang
  • edited December 2006
    Palzang wrote:
    Anyone who is a True Believer (i.e. a fan of South Park) knows that God is a Buddhist Jew. And all the inhabitants of heaven are Mormon.

Speaking of the Time article, I read they did a survey once asking people who their favorite American was. The most common answer? Jesus! Truth.

Palzang

Amen. All hail the furry hippo god!

And yeah, I so believe that survey. Really smart people know that the Bible was really written in Latin (or so the Catholics back home told me).
  • edited September 2007
    YES the furry hippo God! i saw that episode of south park! it was hilarious ^^