Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Struggling to find a sangha in Flagstaff, AZ

Hey, I've looked through multiple discussions on here, along with people giving sites that show you different temples or sanghas in the area. But the issue is that where I live, there's only like 1 or 2 that are listed here, and one doesn't seem to be very active (in responding to emails or their website) and the one that seems active, has their activities on days that I work. I also agree with other people that having a Sangha in your immediate area, or in an area you can drive to, helps out immensely. I do what I can, i.e. meditate almost every day, read up on Buddhism and whatnot, but like someone said, there are some things that you can't read or understand fully unless you're with a Sangha or someone who knows a lot and can answer your questions and go in-depth.

As much as I like this online-'sangha', I just don't feel like I did when I was face to face, and with other people in a group, meditating, and gaining more information and understanding, over in California (where I was living). For those who have been in this predicament, what have you done, or found that works? I'll continue to use this site, because well, you're the only Sangha I have, to be honest.
Invincible_summer

Comments

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Is there a phone number or something for the first sangha that you say isn't very active? Perhaps their online presence is not very good. I'd try to give them a call and see when they do their activities and see if it works for you, if you're indeed interested in attending that place.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited May 2013

For those who have been in this predicament, what have you done, or found that works?

Find a teacher you like, and listen to their talks.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    OP, sometimes sanghas are more informal, and take place in private homes. I can ask a Buddhist friend who knows Flagstaff well, and get back to you.
  • @fivebells well I can't find a teacher because there's only like 2 or so in the area, and the cities next to where I live, are actually quite far away, like over 30 miles away. The issue is finding a teacher.

@Invincible_summer I'm contacting one and awaiting their reply right now :)

@Dakini well that'd be great if you would be able to do that! :D
    Invincible_summer
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    OP, the word is that there are 2 Buddhist ctrs in the Tibetan tradition: a Shambhala center, and a Nyingma center. I don't know about other traditions (Zen, Theravada). Flag is a small town; can probably only support 2, if that.

I've learned a tremendous amount from participating here on NB for a couple of years. Things I never would have learned by attending a center. I got a broader perspective on Buddhism as a whole, vs. 1 tradition's party line. I found that very helpful.

Go, team! :thumbsup:

:)
    karmabluesericcris10sen
  • well I can't find a teacher because there's only like 2 or so in the area, and the cities next to where I live, are actually quite far away, like over 30 miles away. The issue is finding a teacher.

I meant online.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    you're the only Sangha I have, to be honest.
    Not even a rhino for company :bawl:
    http://www.hermitary.com/solitude/rhinoceros.html
    :bawl:

There is an 'ask a teacher a question' resource here
    http://www.zenforuminternational.org/

. . . maybe you can move towards a situation were travelling thirty miles is open to you . . .
    . . . a lot of sangha do house calls if you pay expenses . . .
    ericcris10sen