Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhists on bicycles

Does anyone else have cycling as a hobby? I always notice a strong contingent of us among cycling circles, I assume because of the DIY and living simply concerns of many of us. My dog, reading, and my bike are my three main hobbies when I'm not at work or school. Yeah, I'm a pathetic nerd. :buck:

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2006
    Dear 'Pathetic Nerd'

I love cycling. Unfortunately, I'm not as fit as I could be, so I do an awful lot of walking, more than cycling.
    I have a little dorgie, but she's still living in France with my ex- and my two daughters.....
    Once I move into a bigger dwelling, I shall probably invest in a pup of my own.

By the way -
    Welcome to our forum.
    Nice to have you with us.

And I'm kidding about the 'pathetic nerd' bit.....
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Running.

I've been getting back into running lately. I find it's a great workout and metaphor for life. Running away from things. Know what I mean?

And music.

-bf
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Yo for father's day I got a voucher for a bike pump (dual action!) and a light set for the bike-hows that for a friggin bike-nerd (myself) hahaha
  • edited September 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Running.

I've been getting back into running lately. I find it's a great workout and metaphor for life. Running away from things. Know what I mean?

And music.

-bf
    I always found running to be one of those few activities, (next to zazen,) that was most conducive to mental discipline, especially long distance. Get out on a trail, pop "London Calling" into the CD Discman, and just run for an hour.

Alas, I crunched my ankle real bad about 4 years ago, so cycling is my main form of exercise now, it's a little easier on the joints. President Bush also took up cycling after too many running-related injuries, but I'm fairly certain this is all we have in common. :poke:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2006
    Thank goodness for that!

Kris P for President!! :usflag:
  • edited September 2006
    Talking of bikes, today I took delivery of a brand new VooDoo Bokor hardtail frame. Hurrah!
    I've always fancied a VooDoo and now I've got one. Had to sell my Rocky Mountain full-suss frame first though - Mrs Frizzer won't allow any more bikes in the household! Now I just need to get all my bits transferred onto the new frame and take her for a spin!

As well as this I've got a steel fully-rigid singlespeed that is great for throwing around the trails.

Bikes are great!

Mountain Biking Friz
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Bikes are OK, but there's one major problem with them - where do you stick your "My other vehicle is the Mahayana" bumper sticker?

I used to bike a lot and miss it. Back then I had calf muscles like steel. Now they're more like marshmallows. I probably should start up again. Trouble is Sedona is hilly!

Palzang the procrastinator
  • edited September 2006
    Palzang wrote:
    Bikes are OK, but there's one major problem with them - where do you stick your "My other vehicle is the Mahayana" bumper sticker?

I used to bike a lot and miss it. Back then I had calf muscles like steel. Now they're more like marshmallows. I probably should start up again. Trouble is Sedona is hilly!

Palzang the procrastinator
    I love that bumper sticker, never found one, though. I usually put my stickers on the downtube. Anyway, I thought Sedona was like the mountain biking paradise of California?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2006
    I love that bumper sticker, never found one, though. I usually put my stickers on the downtube. Anyway, I thought Sedona was like the mountain biking paradise of California?

Well, it would be - except it's in Arizona! Yes, it's a great place for mountain biking, but I'm a fat old monk who's beyond bouncing around mountain trails, I'm afraid. Nice level highways are more my speed!

Palzang
  • edited September 2006
    Biking is a big time attachment for me. The bike I ride is a retrofitted 1980 Schwinn which I have morphed into a touring bike. We have a recumbent and a tandem as well.

I love to take an old dumpster queen and fix it up for one of our Boy Scout Troop's kids. I've rebuilt about 20 bike so far. We also ride as a family and we like to work our family trips around a good ride. If I can recommend to my fellow buddhists one place, it would be a ride on the Katy Trail (http://www.bikekatytrail.com/). Who knows we may share some Thai food at Coopers Landing.

Bikes are good. :)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Looks beautiful, kick. Unfortunately, I don't get out of Sedona that much. But Central Missouri is very nice. Went backpacking out there many moons ago...

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Hi Kickapoo,

The pic on the Katy homepage of the sunrise and mist through the trees on the right hand side looks a lot like where I live now. I like to be awake at sunrise whenever possible because I love the mist so much, especially at this time of year. I can't ride but I can walk if I do it very carefully and watch for uneven ground and walking at this time of day is like walking in some kind of beautiful dream.
  • edited September 2006
    Does anyone else have cycling as a hobby? I always notice a strong contingent of us among cycling circles, I assume because of the DIY and living simply concerns of many of us. My dog, reading, and my bike are my three main hobbies when I'm not at work or school. Yeah, I'm a pathetic nerd. :buck:

Kris,

I like riding my bicycle with my kids. I also love computers, the Internet, and reading as well as walking and being with my kids. I gotta admit though, my rear-end gets a bit sore from the seat! LOL! Of course, I am getting up there in age! HEHEHEHE!

Adiana:thumbsup: :lol::grin: :type: :usflag:
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Speaking of bikes & bumperstickers, we had a nice little indie band that I would dub to be a form of folk/punk that would come up to my college town now & then called "This Bike is a Pipe Bomb". Now that'd make a good bumper sticker for your bike. :) Of course, you might get the feds on you.

_/\_
    metta
  • edited September 2006
    not1not2 wrote:
    Speaking of bikes & bumperstickers, we had a nice little indie band that I would dub to be a form of folk/punk that would come up to my college town now & then called "This Bike is a Pipe Bomb". Now that'd make a good bumper sticker for your bike. :) Of course, you might get the feds on you.

_/\_
    metta
    Yeah, I'm actually friends with those guys. I had their sticker on my commuter, but random, weird Republicans kept on getting overtly antagonistic, because the Bush administration continually keeps them yo-yoing between being terrified and wanting blood, so I took it off to protect my bike from being molested. :mean: