Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Still having trouble transcending itches and pains

2»

Comments

• Jeffrey said:

Does it happen when you do walking meditation? You could switch to that for awhile and maybe it will reduce when you come back.

Great idea. I'll try this more often.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    I hope you're not serious.
    Depends on wether you want to itch, scratch, meditate or find a difference.
  • lobster said:

I hope you're not serious.
    Depends on wether you want to itch, scratch, meditate or find a difference.

Sorry, I don't know what you're talking about.
  • I've been meditating a long time now but am still having a lot of trouble not letting itches and pains get to me to the point where I have to scratch or otherwise adjust my meditation posture. Can anyone give some helpful suggestions?

When I was a kid, I was walking home from a friend's house in the freezing cold. I remember being so cold that I began to feel desperate, and then I thought, "What IS this feeling? Why does it matter? Why does it compel me so?" It was kindof my own little lotus tree moment I guess.

My point is that there are times when, while being mindful of suffering or discomfort, my brain kindof switches into another mode - one where I'm not feeling the feeling per se, but rather observing the feeling, and almost getting excited about it. Like tasting a new flavor or something. Every once in a while you can observe something about an itch or twinge or cramp that can make it a learning experience.