Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I highly suggest you read.........

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1848500130/ref=as_li_tf_til?tag=tfkil-21&camp=1406&creative=6394&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=1848500130&adid=1320176HAC19T49X66QS&&ref-refURL=http://www.thefuckitlife.com/shop.htm

Whilst it isn't strictly Buddhist there is sooooo mcu i have taken from this book. If you are offended by swearing please don't click on the link lol. I read this book in 4 days, i think it maybe a life changer.

Comments

• CittaCitta Veteran
    Nah.
  • poptartpoptart Veteran
    Citta said:

Nah.

Care to elaborate?
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Yup.
    poptartInvincible_summer
  • Type-A personality types could probably get a lot out of this book....
    I have a couple of Type-A's in my family, and I (along with others) am always telling them to "Let it go, already!" and "Stop dwelling!"... which in other words is pretty much "F*ck it!". Worriers, dwellers, drama queens, anyone with a tendency towards OCD-like behaviors and 'neurotic' attitudes might do a lot better learning how to say F*ck It.

Is this [book] a decent substitute for learning and understanding Buddhism and/or any other spiritual or philosophical path? Hmmm, I really wouldn't go THAT far. ;)
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited June 2013
    Nor would I MaryAnne. I don't see how in practice it wouldn't just become aversion and/or indifference...which is the other side of the clinging coin.
  • I'm can't agree with @citta or @MaryAnne.

Although I haven't read the book, the reader reviews here clearly show that some people have found it insightful and helpful.

I think it is useful for some people to be profane and not too 'holier than thou' when it comes to their spiritual path.
    Wisdom23
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited June 2013
    Profanity is neither here nor there. Expressions of indifference however, whether profane or genteel might be problematic.
    Upekkha ..equanimity..is not indifference. It is being with all that arises.
    riverflow
  • Citta said:

Profanity is neither here nor there. Expressions of indifference however, whether profane or genteel might be problematic.
    Upekkha ..equanimity..is not indifference. It is being with all that arises.

@citta - where have you got the impression that this book is about indifference?

• CittaCitta Veteran
    " Fuck it " is not an expression of Upekkha. Its an expression of forcibly withdrawn interest.
  • John_SpencerJohn_Spencer Veteran
    edited June 2013
    So, as I asked before @citta - where did you get the impression that this book is about indifference?

Have you read the reviews I pointed to above?
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    I have just told you why it is, in my view, about indifference.
    See above re. upekkha.
    We were asked for our views. I have stated mine.
    I have no interest in stating my views about other peoples views of a book you haven't read.
  • John_SpencerJohn_Spencer Veteran
    edited June 2013
    @citta - your first response to @wisdom23 's post 'Nah' and your second response 'Yup' I think were an inadequate and dismissive response to a poster who has clearly been deeply inspired by this book, as have many others.

You said in an earlier post "I don't see how in practice it wouldn't just become aversion..."

I sense the aversion is yours and no-one else's.
    Wisdom23JoyfulGirl
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Well inadequate and aversive or not....'tis mine own.
  • Quite. :)
  • riverflowriverflow Veteran
    edited June 2013
    LEBOWSKI
    My wife is not the issue here. I
    hope that my wife will someday learn
    to live on her allowance, which is
    ample, but if she doesn't, sir, that
    will be her problem, not mine, just
    as your rug is your problem, just as
    every bum's lot in life is his own
    responsibility regardless of whom he