Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Attending Amitabha & Amitayus Empowerment

Nek777Nek777 Explorer
edited July 2013 in Buddhism Today
I will attending my first empowerment ceremony, given by HH Karma Kuchen Rinpoche. I am not sure what to expect. I have heard some say to take notes. One concern I had was commitments that I can not keep - I have a newborn son and have somewhat of a typical busy Westerner schedule that does not leave much time, I fight and scrap to find the time to meditate (sometimes I win, sometimes I loose) - a non-Buddhist friend of mine suggested that I just ask, so I did send an email to the organizers asking about any commitments. Now I am doubting myself, is that to forward? seen as disrespectful to ask what commitments?

Anyone have some general advice about attending and receiving empowerments?

Thanks!!

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I think it is an important concern, commitments, so it is valid to ask them questions.
    riverflow
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    Nek777 said:

I will attending my first empowerment ceremony, given by HH Karma Kuchen Rinpoche. I am not sure what to expect. I have heard some say to take notes. One concern I had was commitments that I can not keep - I have a newborn son and have somewhat of a typical busy Westerner schedule that does not leave much time, I fight and scrap to find the time to meditate (sometimes I win, sometimes I loose) - a non-Buddhist friend of mine suggested that I just ask, so I did send an email to the organizers asking about any commitments. Now I am doubting myself, is that to forward? seen as disrespectful to ask what commitments?

Anyone have some general advice about attending and receiving empowerments?

Thanks!!

You're fine.

If you don't want the empowerment, for whatever reason, don't take it.

If you want the empowerment take it.

Don't make such a big deal out of this. Just go, keep and open mind and an open heart. Take notes. Ask questions. Have fun.
    lobstercaz
  • Nek777Nek777 Explorer
    Thanks for the good advice and bringing it back down to earth ... I think I have been building this up in my mind and got a little anxious from that.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    I must have missed something. New born baby Mudra and meditating with baby not yet available? Since when have babies been excluded from empowerments? I have heard some go to empowerments whilst still in the womb . . .
  • Nek777Nek777 Explorer
    Point well taken @lobster.

However, the little guy will just be a month on the 26th. I suppose its an adjustment thing and, well, a tired thing. I thought about taking him to the ceremony, however, it is being held outside and in Maryland, in August - it is disgustingly hot - not sure if that is the greatest thing for such a new person.

Anyhow, I have been contemplating the increased time commitments prior to my son's birth and how it would effect my ability to sit. I don't want to use work as an excuse, but with work and giving my wife a break - time is certainly at a premium.

So I was thinking, that the hour or 2 that I used to sit is all well and good, but, there are 22 - 23 more hours in the day. Meditation is great, but I had the thought that practice is not just on a cushion - I have a whole day in front of me. So, I decided to really focus on the things that I might not have really focused on that much - Right view, right intention, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort .... I mean, as I understand it - right concentration and right mindfulness are developed towards the end of the path (if you want to think of it linearly). Of course, then BAM, I get this opportunity - already talked to the wife and she is cool watching the baby all day by herself, so things seem to be working out.
    lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    not sure if that is the greatest thing for such a new person
    Understood.
    Eh ma ho. How wonderful.
    New person = potential Buddha.

Austin Powers: Yeah, baby, yeah
    OK if the Baby can't come to the empowerment, the empowerment must come to the baby.

Here is a picture of the Buddha with a diaper on his head . . .

Nek777Kundo
  • Nek777Nek777 Explorer
    edited August 2013
    I guess just bit of follow up... It was very mild today for a Maryland August, no way it went past 80 degrees - so the little guy and I had a great morning and afternoon at KPC. What an amazing event!
    lobsterInvincible_summer