Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Disenchantment from feelings?

"A pleasant feeling is inconstant, fabricated, dependently co-arisen, subject to ending, subject to vanishing, fading, ceasing. A painful feeling is also inconstant, fabricated, dependently co-arisen, subject to ending, subject to vanishing, fading, ceasing. A neither-pleasant-nor-painful feeling is also inconstant, fabricated, dependently co-arisen, subject to ending, subject to vanishing, fading, ceasing.

"Seeing this, an instructed disciple of the noble ones grows disenchanted with pleasant feeling, disenchanted with painful feeling, disenchanted with neither-pleasant-nor-painful feeling. Disenchanted, he grows dispassionate. From dispassion, he is released. With release, there is the knowledge, 'Released.' "
Somebody posted this in an ongoing discussion recently. How does one disenchant from pleasure and pain? If I feel pleasure I feel so happy it is like I have been starving and then I gorge myself on the pleasure. So are there any keys to disenchanting? Likewise with pain it is so painful that I cannot help but wish to myself over and over that it will go away.

I suspect it is like meditation where you return again and again to "ground zero" of accepting all feelings.
shadowleaver

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    I think you partly answered your question yourself-- sometimes you can start grounding feelings to dispassion by switching them to neutral and observing the change(do something that makes you feel neutral when you are overcome with one or the other, observe the change), yes. As you practice this, you become adept at it. You will find yourself more and more dispassionate, yes. Think of dispassionateness as an overlord mode, kinda, if that helps.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @ Jeffrey

The feelings themselves are really energized by our habituated responses to them. Becoming a meditative observer of them, where one allows them to come and go without actively playing with them {clutching on to them or pushing them away) is simply stepping outside of your identities dream of it's own significance. Easy to talk about right up until we start becoming aware that to continue further with such a practice, promises no easy return to that former comforting dream.
    Yeah, I think you really answered your own question.
    Jeffrey
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Well, the cause for disenchantment is in the quote itself. So there is the answer to your question :D

"Seeing this", seeing feelings are impermanent, that will lead to disenchantment of feelings.

So on a coarse level the reflection would be, that when you have a feeling you are stuggling with (by being attached to it or by wanting it to go away), think: "this won't last". The more deeply you really feel and understand that it is this way and will always be this way, the more you can let go. That's for all feelings, including the neutral ones.

Also the quote says understanding that feelings depend on things. That pleasant feelings depend on pleasant objects, for example. That tasting nice food depends on having the food, on being able to eat it, on having the money to buy it, on being able to taste it. If you see things like this you will understand that the conditions for certain feelings will not always be there. So that will lead to less desire for those feelings. Letting your happiness depend on feelings is like building a house on loose sand. Who would do that?

The unpleasant feelings also depend on things. Things not in your control, like the body being sick or hurt. If you see that things are not in your control, why fight the feeling?

(Btw may be useful for some to point out that "feelings" in a Buddhist context are not emotions, but all pleasant, unpleasant and neutral experiences we have with the senses.)
    Jeffreykarmablues
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Jeffrey said:

Somebody posted this in an ongoing discussion recently. How does one disenchant from pleasure and pain? If I feel pleasure I feel so happy it is like I have been starving and then I gorge myself on the pleasure. So are there any keys to disenchanting? Likewise with pain it is so painful that I cannot help but wish to myself over and over that it will go away.

I suspect it is like meditation where you return again and again to "ground zero" of accepting all feelings.
    Pull back and watch the pleasant feeling arise. Notice how one is pulled from "the state of normality" into agitation. This agitation in trying to pull in more and more pleasure is actually dukkha. We become slaves in trying to pull in pleasurable feelings and push away painful ones.

Pleasurable and painful states cannot sustain themselves for long. Only neutral states can. Even then neutral states are also subject to change and trying to hold on to them when they do also causes dukkha.

Bottom line- feelings change due to causes and conditions. They are unreliable (uncertain/not a sure thing). Clinging to them is dukkha. Keep seeing this over and over again until the truth is seen.
    Jeffrey
  • wrathfuldeitywrathfuldeity Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Pain and pleasure and the resulting feelings are a mental construct. The sensation is just sensory, then the sensation can be interpreted (i.e., learned) to be pleasurable or painful; then linked/connected to the referent association with feelings. Perhaps a path toward dis-enchantment is via hypnotic disassociation or trance state...where a person does not experience the "learned" response of pleasure/pain. One can develop a state of just being a "witness-state" where all sensations, thoughts, feelings, ego are just like clouds floating by in the sky. This can be attained by developing skills of attentional focus...or one pointedness, then recognizing a disassociation or equanimity.
    Jeffrey
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    Its through insight, direct experiential insight that we come to dispassion, which isn't indifference or pushing away, its beyond acceptance and rejection.

Its through directly seeing the three marks or the emptiness/dependent arising of phenomena/appearances that bring about a dispassion, a setting down, a letting go. Which leads to freedom and peace.

We must see how everything is constructed, hence suffering. Once this touches the heart it is very obvious what needs to be done, it isn't forced upon via vows, or some kind of theory it is just set down. And then one feels release, one doesn't grasp at release either because then we're at the whole issue of constructing stress again haha.

So true dispassion and letting go isn't forced but arises dependent upon seeing the dharma/having direct insight into the nature of reality.
    Jeffreyriverflow
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    How does one disenchant from pleasure and pain?
    Not putting another layer on top of it.
    The whole idea is to stop adding a layer of interpretations and preferences on top of the actual experience.
    It’s not even “accepting” imho. Just not putting any label on it. Just the pain; just the pleasure.
    Jeffreyriverflow
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    "A monk asked Tozan, “When cold and heat come, how can we avoid them?”
    Tozan said, “Why don’t you go to the place where there is no cold or heat?”
    The monk said, “What is the place where there is no cold or heat?”
    Tozan said, “When it’s cold, the cold kills you; when it’s hot, the heat kills you.”

This is not advice to “accept” your situation, as some commentators have suggested, but a direct expression of authentic practice and enlightenment. Master Tozan is not saying, “When cold, shiver; when hot, sweat,” nor is he saying, “When cold, put on a sweater; when hot, use a fan.” In the state of authentic practice and enlightenment, the cold kills you, and there is only cold in the whole universe. The heat kills you, and there is only heat in the whole universe. The fragrance of incense kills you, and there is only the fragrance of incense in the whole universe. The sound of the bell kills you, and there is only “boooong” in the whole universe…

~The Flatbed Sutra of Louie Wing, Ted Biringer"
    Jeffreyriverflowkarmablueszenff
  • I think what zenff and taiyaki mentions is also described in the Pali Canon.

In the Malunkyaputta Sutta, the Buddha says:
    "Then, Malunkyaputta, with regard to phenomena to be seen, heard, sensed, or cognized: In reference to the seen, there will be only the seen. In reference to the heard, only the heard. In reference to the sensed, only the sensed. In reference to the cognized, only the cognized. That is how you should train yourself. When for you there will be only the seen in reference to the seen, only the heard in reference to the heard, only the sensed in reference to the sensed, only the cognized in reference to the cognized, then, Malunkyaputta, there is no you in connection with that. When there is no you in connection with that, there is no you there. When there is no you there, you are neither here nor yonder nor between the two. This, just this, is the end of stress."
    I think the above is also expressed another way, in the Kalaka Sutta:
    "Thus, monks, the Tathagata, when seeing what is to be seen, doesn't construe an [object as] seen. He doesn't construe an unseen. He doesn't construe an [object] to-be-seen. He doesn't construe a seer.

"When hearing...

"When sensing...

"When cognizing what is to be cognized, he doesn't construe an [object as] cognized. He doesn't construe an uncognized. He doesn't construe an [object] to-be-cognized. He doesn't construe a cognizer.

Thus, monks, the Tathagata — being the same with regard to all phenomena that can be seen, heard, sensed, & cognized — is 'Such.' And I tell you: There's no other 'Such' higher or more sublime.
    zenff
  • Zen master Dae Kwang was giving a speech.

Halfway through, the thunder started to sound.. Someone asked a question, he said "can you hear the thunder?" *thunder claps* "that is it! that is the answer from Buddha (laughter)" And five more questions came - what is enlightened person, who can become enlightened, how to practice and become enlightened, all dharmas return to one one returns to what?, etc.

And his answer to each question was, "did you hear the thunder?"

Then it started to rain, it got so loud that he stopped speaking and we just sat there. The rain itself becomes the dharma talk... so everyone sat there in meditation... the zen master sat very still. Just the sound of dripping rain filling the whole universe... the sound enjoying and hearing itself... that's Buddha, clear and blissful.

Then after 20 minutes he began to speak. He said you don't need to remember anything I said... the rain is the best dharma talk. So the talk ended, 15 minutes early.

" Non duality means to stay with whatever arises so that there is no subject and no object. "
    Chogyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche

'In the seen will be merely what is seen; in the heard will be merely what is heard; in the sensed will be merely what is sensed; in the cognized will be merely what is cognized.'
    Bahiya Sutta
    seeker242karmabluesJeffrey
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Jeffrey said:

"Seeing this, an instructed disciple of the noble ones grows disenchanted

According to the quote you posted, by seeing, really seeing, the impermanence. AKA prajna.

Transcendental dependent origination explains the chain of cause and effect leading to disenchantment.

concentration is the supporting condition for the knowledge and vision of things as they really are, the knowledge and vision of things as they really are is the supporting condition for disenchantment, disenchantment is the supporting condition for dispassion, dispassion is the supporting condition for emancipation
    So what do you do then? Gain skill in concentration to allow knowledge and vision of things as they really are to arise.