Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Shootings in Chicago. 12 shot.

13»

Comments

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    Irony means that you mean the very opposite of what you're saying, last I checked. And I won't dignify the post (2 above) by stating to whom this is addressed.

My point was that some people were jumping on others because they thought we Americans should do something about all this violence. The fact that nothing was done after the Newtown massacre is a national disgrace. First-Graders! The innocence and all those hopes and dreams and tomorrows and wasted (floabw) days in the nursery!

It's too bad when people are trying to communicate that they get jumped on, called trolls, get taken out of context, and words put into their mouths, such as in two posts above. All we have here is words, no tone of voice, no body language, and very limited ways to show inflection. So when we attack people for their voice we are diminishing communication. It's evident to see hostility, though, and that's not what I'm talking about.

People don't often find a Voice that speaks to a lot of people; indeed, that's rare. However, on boards like this I think it is important not to address the person, but the ideas. I believe that hopping on the bandwagon and calling others negative is a sideways ad hominem. Give 'em a chance first. And even if they are negative you can just say, "I see that you feel very strongly about that."

Also, people don't generally polish what they post here and usually wish they'd have said it better or not at all. So why molest them? This is not a graduate school seminar!

"Life is short and everybody will die sooner than they'd like, so try not to quarrel."
    -Dhammapada, vs 6 paraphrased
  • Nirvana said:

Irony means that you mean the very opposite of what you're saying, last I checked. And I won't dignify the post (2 above) by stating to whom this is addressed.

My point was that some people were jumping on others because they thought we Americans should do something about all this violence. The fact that nothing was done after the Newtown massacre is a national disgrace. First-Graders! The innocence and all those hopes and dreams and tomorrows and wasted (floabw) days in the nursery!

It's too bad when people are trying to communicate that they get jumped on, called trolls, get taken out of context, and words put into their mouths, such as in two posts above. All we have here is words, no tone of voice, no body language, and very limited ways to show inflection. So when we attack people for their voice we are diminishing communication. It's evident to see hostility, though, and that's not what I'm talking about.

People don't often find a Voice that speaks to a lot of people; indeed, that's rare. However, on boards like this I think it is important not to address the person, but the ideas. I believe that hopping on the bandwagon and calling others negative is a sideways ad hominem. Give 'em a chance first. And even if they are negative you can just say, "I see that you feel very strongly about that."

Also, people don't generally polish what they post here and usually wish they'd have said it better or not at all. So why molest them? This is not a graduate school seminar!

"Life is short and everybody will die sooner than they'd like, so try not to quarrel."
    -Dhammapada, vs 6 paraphrased

You're the one that said yourself in another thread that you never see anything that interests you here, and that you say things just to get a rise out of people...then you make a post that blames all Americans for a school shooting, like it didn't horrify us and nobody cares.
    How about scroll back up and read my post about how mild gun legislation and the lawmakers who voted for it got crushed in my democratic state congressional district, and then say something like 'wow OC, I didn't realize what happens when gun control laws go up for vote in US representative houses and thanks for letting us know that all gun owners aren't NRA maniacs.'
    I mean what else can we do? I vote, state elections, everything. You want us to storm the NRA headquarters and hold them hostage with AR15s?
    :confused:

And I agree, we should let people speak we should encourage communication! But if you can't take it, then don't dish it out: and you dish it out a lot!

I'm really not trying to antagonize you for no reason. You have a point, many times we should remember to address the issue not the person.
    As far as people not polishing what the post, that issue, I sometimes post without thinking too, but I will usually admit when I'm wrong and try to acknowledge others POV, which is important to do, because if all people see is criticism and antagonism, they're going to think you aren't seeing things from their perspective at all.

So did you like the haiku?
    MaryAnne
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    This is why we can'r have nice things.
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    Odins beard dudes and dudettes! Odins beard.